Horrible FPS but i have a OVER KILL RIG..? (WoW)

ross620

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Ok so everytime im in a Raid or a PVP where alot of action is going on, my FPS drops dramatically...

Heres the proof: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7420/badfps.png

This photo waas just taken in LFR...

Heres my RIG:

Processor: i7 2600k @ 3.4 ghz (overclocked)
16 gigs of ram
(2) 1 TB HD's
2 Nvidia 580's RUNNING IN SLi with a 520 PhysX card.

I've tried deactivating SLi.
I've Reinstalled the game.
I DONT USE ALOT OF ADDONS
ALL MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE.

PLEASE HELP ME :( I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE.... MY PC SHOULD BE RUNNING WOW AT 200 FPS ALL THE TIME.

Benzh95

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
try monitoring you system during play. hook up a second monitor so you can view things. check to make sure nothing is maxing out. pay careful attenuation to the drive usage. the drive is the most common problem on these $$$$$$ rigs.

ross620

Honorable
May 10, 2012
yes your right i wasnt using ultra but i played med-high..

and the physx card is worthless yes but does tht mean i should remove it and wow will run better without it? i dont understand what ur saying. i dont care about getting SLI performance... i just want to play wow smoothe on ultra and not have any problems..

u cant rly get SLI performance on WOW anyways cause it isnt fully supported.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It doesn't matter what hardware you use. WoW is incapable of achieving 60 fps in certain environments. It is heavily bound to the CPU which is the first problem, compounded by the fact that it doesn't even effectively use modern CPU's. There is nothing you can do about this. You'll notice some dips in 10 man raiding, more dips in 25man raiding. That's the nature of the game. It's showing its age.

Also the bit about your fps being dependent on server connection is largely untrue in this day and age, whoever said something about that.

ross620

Honorable
May 10, 2012

this isnt true because i have IRL friends that play on Ultra and there computer costs half the price of mine ,and they do 25 man raids and 40 man AV on ULTRA with there fps not dropping or ever going that low..

A lot of people lie about Ultra. They'll say they use ultra when they actually use Ultra minus a level or two of shadows. WoW, back when I played, was full of people claiming they used "Ultra" settings, when they usually turned down Shadows at least 1 if not more notches. MSAA levels will also effect your FPS as well.

Using stock CPU clocks will also kill performance in WoW. You would likely see major improvements if you OC'ed that CPU beyond 4.0Ghz (don't do this until you research how to do it).

The PhysX card, at best does nothing for you in any situation, however, depending on your motherboard, it might be dropping your PCIe speeds for all your slots and hurting performance.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

If they tell you that, they're not monitoring their fps diligently or are lying. If you're curious about the subject further you can explore it over on the MMO-champ hardware subforum where it's explained in relative detail. As far as Ultra settings go, it's WoW. It's an almost 8 year old engine. Saying that you play WoW on ultra is effectively saying that you have a GPU equivalent to a GTX 460 or better and a relatively modern quad-core cpu. Almost everyone posting on this forum has hardware beyond the point of WoW's ultra settings being the limiting factor. The only settings WoW has left that even impact a GPU of gtx 460 or higher are Shadows (which are rendered on the CPU anyway), and beyond 4x anti-aliasing and even then only sometimes.

If you'd like me to go into more detail with specific fights and attack graphics in those fights that will drop any computer's fps below 60 regardless of what it is, I can do that as well.