IPX/SPX Protocol Printing

June 15, 2004 3:03:54 AM

I am unable to print to an IPX/SPX Protocol printer on my
home network. The machine is a Dell Latitude D600 running
WinXP pro and is configured as a corporate rollout -
meaning that despite the fact this is my first contact
with Microsoft regarding this PC, Microsoft believes they
don't need to support me. Our corporate PC group says
they don't think it is possible for a WinXP pro system to
talk to an IPX/SPX protocol printer and referred me to
Microsoft - who has graciously declined the opportunity to
help me since my Product ID, which I thought was supposed
to be unique per installation is actually not.

So given that context, here is my precise problem:

I have an Epson Action Laser 1500 printer interfaced to my
home network via a Hawking PN6125 MiniPrintServer. This
printer is accessible to all systems on my home network
except this new WinXP pro Dell Laptop that the company
forced on me. I installed the IPX/SPX protocol per the
standard installation options under WinXP - but the
printer cannot be found. I suspect that WinXP pro does
not actually support IPX/SPX despite showing the protocol
as available.

Has anyone actually been able to get a network attached
printer to work when the only available protocol for the
network interface is IPX/SPX?

Note that the IPX/SPX protocol is the ONLY protocol
supported by the MiniPrintServer and that this printer
works fine with earlier versions of Windows, from W98SE
through to NT2000. Only WinXP is incapable of talking to
this printer by any means yet known to me.

Thanks for any help anyone can be on this.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:13:37 AM

Axel H. Ahlberg wrote:

> I am unable to print to an IPX/SPX Protocol printer on my
> home network. The machine is a Dell Latitude D600 running
> WinXP pro and is configured as a corporate rollout -
> meaning that despite the fact this is my first contact
> with Microsoft regarding this PC, Microsoft believes they
> don't need to support me. Our corporate PC group says
> they don't think it is possible for a WinXP pro system to
> talk to an IPX/SPX protocol printer and referred me to
> Microsoft - who has graciously declined the opportunity to
> help me since my Product ID, which I thought was supposed
> to be unique per installation is actually not.
>
> So given that context, here is my precise problem:
>
> I have an Epson Action Laser 1500 printer interfaced to my
> home network via a Hawking PN6125 MiniPrintServer. This
> printer is accessible to all systems on my home network
> except this new WinXP pro Dell Laptop that the company
> forced on me. I installed the IPX/SPX protocol per the
> standard installation options under WinXP - but the
> printer cannot be found. I suspect that WinXP pro does
> not actually support IPX/SPX despite showing the protocol
> as available.
>
> Has anyone actually been able to get a network attached
> printer to work when the only available protocol for the
> network interface is IPX/SPX?
>
> Note that the IPX/SPX protocol is the ONLY protocol
> supported by the MiniPrintServer and that this printer
> works fine with earlier versions of Windows, from W98SE
> through to NT2000. Only WinXP is incapable of talking to
> this printer by any means yet known to me.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can be on this.

Try installing the ipx/spx protocol stack in the network
section. Just a 'shot in the dark'.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed