Printer ON

Hi,
Thanks in advance for your help. I have printers named such as Laserjet 4
on WSS1. I want to rename it to John's Laserjet4. It does not give me a
rename option. Any ideas??
Thanks
Dexter
3 answers Last reply
More about printer

    With Windows 2000 (and later), Network Printers do not get a complete object
    with a name; rather they are essentially just a reference to the printer on
    the print server. Since there is no complete "object", there is no name to
    change.

    However, you can add information (on the computer that has the printer
    share) to the Comments or Location attributes which will show up in the
    Printers folder if View, Details is selected (on the client).

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "C. Dexter Southerland" <dexters@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Thanks in advance for your help. I have printers named such as Laserjet 4
    > on WSS1. I want to rename it to John's Laserjet4. It does not give me a
    > rename option. Any ideas??
    > Thanks
    > Dexter

    Bruce,
    Thanks for your help. Let me clarify question. I have some workstations
    with Laserjet 4 on WSS1. I can rename and others I can't?
    Thanks
    Dexter
    "Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
    > With Windows 2000 (and later), Network Printers do not get a complete
    object
    > with a name; rather they are essentially just a reference to the printer
    on
    > the print server. Since there is no complete "object", there is no name
    > change.
    >
    > However, you can add information (on the computer that has the printer
    > share) to the Comments or Location attributes which will show up in the
    > Printers folder if View, Details is selected (on the client).
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "C. Dexter Southerland" <dexters@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Thanks in advance for your help. I have printers named such as Laserjet
    4
    > > on WSS1. I want to rename it to John's Laserjet4. It does not give me a
    > > rename option. Any ideas??
    > > Thanks
    > > Dexter

    Depends on two things:

    1. what OS is running on the client workstation - with Windows 9x clients,
    you get a complete printer object for "Network Printers" and you can rename
    "Network Printers". For Windows 2000 and later clients, see 2 below.

    2. on Windows 2000 and later clients, there are at least three different
    ways to "connect" a network attached printer (well actually, some of these
    can also be used on Windows 9x clients, but what actually happens on them is
    different):

    a. use the Add Printer Wizard and add the printer as a (true) Network
    Printer - these show up in the Printers (or Printers and Faxes - depending
    on the client OS) folder as "PrinterName on PrintServerName". When, from
    the client computer, you open the Properties of such printers, you see the
    Properties as they are on the print server computer - there are NO local
    (client) Printer Properties for these printers. For these printers you can
    NOT change the Printer Name on the client, only on the server.

    b. use the Add Printer Wizard and add the printer as a Local Printer on a
    port that has the UNC name of the printer as its (the client computer's
    port's) name (e.g. \\PrintServerName\PrinterShareName). These are really
    Local printers that happen to have their print data streams redirected to a
    printer shared from another computer. When you look at the Properties of
    these printers, you are looking at the Properties of the printer on the
    client computer. On the client's computer Printer Properties, Ports tab,
    the port for these printers will have the UNC name in the Port column and
    Local Port in the Description column. For these printers, you can change
    the name of the printer on the client.

    c. use the Add Printer Wizard and add the printer as a Local Printer on a
    Standard TCP/IP port that has the IP address of the LAN adapter in the
    physical Print Device (physical printer). These are really Local Printers
    and you can change the name on the client.

    There are other ways to add printers (e.g. see
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm, but the end result
    will be one of the above three possibilities.

    --

    "Dexter Southerland" <dsoutherland@pronetinfosys.com> wrote in message
    > Bruce,
    > Thanks for your help. Let me clarify question. I have some workstations
    > with Laserjet 4 on WSS1. I can rename and others I can't?
    > Thanks
    > Dexter
    > "Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
    > > With Windows 2000 (and later), Network Printers do not get a complete
    > object
    > > with a name; rather they are essentially just a reference to the printer
    > on
    > > the print server. Since there is no complete "object", there is no name
    > > change.
    > >
    > > However, you can add information (on the computer that has the printer
    > > share) to the Comments or Location attributes which will show up in the
    > > Printers folder if View, Details is selected (on the client).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    > >
    > > It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    > >

    > > "C. Dexter Southerland" <dexters@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Thanks in advance for your help. I have printers named such as
    Laserjet
    > 4
    > > > on WSS1. I want to rename it to John's Laserjet4. It does not give me
    > > > rename option. Any ideas??
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Dexter

Microsoft Printers Windows XP