Dell Studio XPS 435MT Video Card Upgrade?

noobnasty

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Can anyone provide me a high end video card for this system?

Im willing to buy a new PSU for it sinced i have the stocked one...

Looking to play Skyrim. Diablo 3 and some other high end games..

Please let me know ASAP.

THANK YOU!

dennisdliu

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello,

I was able to succesffully upgrade my 435MT with a Corsair TX750W PSU and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770. Later on I upgraded to a MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II, but had to switch to a larger case. The later GPU fit, but was significantly overheating due to poor airflow in the stock case. I upgraded to a Rosewill Challenger while it was 30$ on sale, and had not had any regrets since.

Rexer

Distinguished
Hello.
By now you've probably solved your problem since it's been 7 months ago. I also own a Dell Studio XPS435mt and agree dennisdliu, putting it in a new case is a good solution. However, I didn't go that route. I installed an XFX HD7850 cnfc 2gb card but I had to remove the fan cover and modify the bottom edge. This card is so big, it hit the I/O connections on the motherboard. You can just remove HD7850 cover and it'll work, No problem. Make sure the card has the heat pipes. Runs cooler than the Radeon HD4800 series. I crammed a SeaSonic Gold 650w 52amp psu. Still , there's a heating problem. The chipset gets really hot. 165/175f temps. Probably due to no bios adjustment and some PCIe3 event. A voltage adjustment. Some say Dell never meant it to be adjusted. But PCIe3 will run on PCIe2. You just don't get the full benefit of what PCIe3 has to offer. I got a northbridge cooler with a fan and a pcie slot fan. I added a 92mm intake fan in the front, powered directly from the psu. It's runs cooler than when I first bought it.

Rexer

Distinguished
Hello again, noobnasty.
I wanted to let you see the temps after this install job. I'm sure you can get most Nvidia Geforce GT670 or a Radeon HD7950 in. There is decent airflow at the bottom of the case. It just has to clear the I/O inputs on the bottom of the motherboard. A few cards like the Asus Radeon HD7850 and 7950 are just too big.
Cpu 99/117f
Temp1(chipset) 113/125f
GPU 81/98f,
HD82f.
Your name is familliar. You play any 2142 or CoD2mw?

matt526

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I know this is a older post but I just put a HD7850 in with a new 500w psu. Everything else is stock for a 435M.
This psu should be enough right?

Rexer

Distinguished
As for enough watts, yes that's fine. Is it a single rail? Sometimes the psu is divided into 2 or 3 rails and split the watts/voltage/amps between them. It should listed on the side of the psu. The bad part about multiple rails is, it may be delegating too few watts to the video card and starve it of the minimum requirements.

I purchased this Dell Studio XPS 435mt in Feb 2009 and its been my staple/work computer. I still play games on it but I do most of my gaming on a Asus I built. Still I plan on keeping the 435 for a few more years. Funny. I said that 3 years ago.

matt526

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

'
Thank you, and yes, it is a single rail design.
After upgrading to this GPU this computer can definitely still hold its own on most of the new games. I'm happy with it.

pietklerckx

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I've got an Dell Studio XPS 435MT and upgraded it with a nVidia GTX 960 and it is working great!! All running on the stock PSU of 360W (including (9 Gb RAM, 2 HDDs, 1 SSD, 1 USB 3.0 Controller).

The PC came with a Radeon 4850 but the GPU died after a couple of years and I replaced it with a GTX 550 TI which was fine at the time, but now with an GTX 960 I can play today's games with decent grapics and frame rates. I am very happy and hope others can use this information.

G

I have the Dell Studio XPS 435T, which is a bit larger than the 435MT, and appears to have a larger PSU, as well. Mine is 475W and has the i7 940 cpu with 6GB RAM, 1 SSD and currently is running a GTX 650 Ti 1GB video card. However, after searching Dell's community website, they do recommend a 2 GB PNY GTX 960 as an upgrade, so since I wanted more RAM, and the power draw is only 10 watts more than the GTX 650 Ti, I ordered an MSI GTX 960 4GB card. Hope it works okay. I also updated my BIOS to what is current - just in case.

I plan to build a new system, as my Dell is getting a bit old at 6 years, but since I have to wait a few months, I thought this card might just be perfect for allowing my to play my favorite games at max settings in the mean time.

I can see why a lot of video card makers are coming out with GTX 950 and 960 cards - they have low power consumption like the older cards, making them power supply friendly, and that makes them a really good upgrade option for those of us with solid but older computers.