Kyocera 7135 Questions

1. Where is Photoview looking for images and what formats
are supported? I cannot find any documentation on this program.

The MP3 player that comes with 7135 takes forever to generate its
playlist when it starts. There doesn't seem to be any way to
change directories or any other way to arrange mp3 files into
albums to avoid this quadratic startup. Is there something for
the 7135 that is more useful?
--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

    Begin Chuck Forsberg quote:

    ; 1. Where is Photoview looking for images and what formats
    ; are supported? I cannot find any documentation on this program.

    Use Photosuite on your PC to reformat, etc, your photos and get them
    into your Palm Install Tool. Install them to either the internal or
    external card.

    Photosuite on the handheld will look by default in the internal (main
    memory) for the photos, or if you installed to the external card, you
    can use the options to search the card, instead.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "In a world that had lost it's anchor to reality, it was hard to get
    seriously involved with a turkey sandwich." ("The Engines of God," by
    Jack McDevitt)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:05:51 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > Begin Chuck Forsberg quote:
    >
    > ; 1. Where is Photoview looking for images and what formats ; are
    > supported? I cannot find any documentation on this program.
    >
    > Use Photosuite on your PC to reformat, etc, your photos and get them into
    > your Palm Install Tool. Install them to either the internal or external
    > card.
    >
    > Photosuite on the handheld will look by default in the internal (main
    > memory) for the photos, or if you installed to the external card, you can
    > use the options to search the card, instead.

    I've played with Photosuite. But it too insists on generating a
    recursive "playlist" when starting up. That's not a problem with
    the tiny 14 mb card that came with the camera. But it is a serious
    impediment to utilizing a 1 GB card.

    It's the same problem the mp3 player has - both come across as toy
    applications not intended for real applications.

    Is there an update for the photosuite and mp3 player that isn't
    so crufty?

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
    10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

    Begin Chuck Forsberg quote:

    ; I've played with Photosuite. But it too insists on generating a
    ; recursive "playlist" when starting up. That's not a problem with

    Photosuite does not have a "playlist". It generates a file listing of
    the photos it finds on the device or memory card.

    ; the tiny 14 mb card that came with the camera. But it is a serious
    ; impediment to utilizing a 1 GB card.

    The size of the card does, or at least should, not matter. What does
    matter is the number of files and their sizes. The card slot on the
    7135 is slow, plain and simple, and nothing you try will be able to do
    anything about it. If you keep media files on the card, access to
    those media files will be slow.

    ; It's the same problem the mp3 player has - both come across as toy
    ; applications not intended for real applications.

    It is my opinion that they are included because people expect them.
    The 7135 is, I think, designed more for the business user, rather than
    Joe Consumer who expects their handheld to include every media toy on
    the market.

    ; Is there an update for the photosuite and mp3 player that isn't
    ; so crufty?

    Update? No. Alternative applications? Sure. Check out the usual
    PalmOS software libraries and/or Kyocera's site. Will they make any
    difference? Very little, because to access media on the card, they
    will still be limited by the card slot's slow interface. Maybe you'd
    be happier with the Treo.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "My lord?" "Actually, we just call him General Hammond." "I'd like to
    debrief ASAP, Colonel." "Yes, my lord." - Captain Kyle Rogers, Jack
    O'Neill and General Hammond, SG1

    "Chuck Forsberg" <caf@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
    > 1. Where is Photoview looking for images and what formats
    > are supported? I cannot find any documentation on this program.
    >
    > The MP3 player that comes with 7135 takes forever to generate its
    > playlist when it starts. There doesn't seem to be any way to
    > change directories or any other way to arrange mp3 files into
    > albums to avoid this quadratic startup. Is there something for
    > the 7135 that is more useful?
    > --

    BeBopper MP3 is vastly superior to the 7135 built in player. It is worth
    the minimal registration cost. See www.belltools.com

    For answers to all your other 7135 questions, see www.pdaphonehome.com

    Alan

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:13:29 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Maybe you'd be happier with the Treo.
    As far as I know, the Treo does not have analog RF.
    It seems the 7135 is the last smartphone with analog.

    Many places, no analog NO SERVICE.
    For me, "Digital (only) Smartphone" is an oxymoron.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
    10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:13:29 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > The size of the card does, or at least should, not matter. What does
    > matter is the number of files and their sizes. The card slot on the 7135
    > is slow, plain and simple, and nothing you try will be able to do anything
    > about it. If you keep media files on the card, access to those media
    > files will be slow.

    The antique H89 could get a directory off of its floppy in a second or
    so. That's with a 2 mHz 8 bit processor. One would think a 33 mHz
    processor would be a bit faster reading the directory. Instead it is
    many times slower.

    Granted the memory card is not warp drive, but it doesn't take THAT long
    to read a few K of directory at 128000+ bits per second. And it doesn't
    even bother to sort it!

    --

    Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:13:29 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >> The size of the card does, or at least should, not
    >> matter. What does matter is the number of files and
    >> their sizes. The card slot on the 7135 is slow, plain
    >> and simple, and nothing you try will be able to do
    >> anything about it. If you keep media files on the card,
    >> access to those media files will be slow.
    >
    > The antique H89 could get a directory off of its floppy
    > in a second or so. That's with a 2 mHz 8 bit processor.
    > One would think a 33 mHz processor would be a bit faster
    > reading the directory. Instead it is many times slower.

    uhhhhh, how large was the floppy?

    -Quick

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:01:42 -0800, Quick wrote:

    > Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:13:29 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >>> The size of the card does, or at least should, not matter. What does
    >>> matter is the number of files and their sizes. The card slot on the
    >>> 7135 is slow, plain and simple, and nothing you try will be able to do
    >>> anything about it. If you keep media files on the card, access to
    >>> those media files will be slow.
    >>
    >> The antique H89 could get a directory off of its floppy in a second or
    >> so. That's with a 2 mHz 8 bit processor. One would think a 33 mHz
    >> processor would be a bit faster reading the directory. Instead it is
    >> many times slower.
    >
    > uhhhhh, how large was the floppy?

    Floppies ranged from 70k to about a meg. I had a 10 MB hard drive on
    my first PC which stored hundreds of files and didn't make we wait
    to list them.

    Anyway, the BeBop player is a tremendous improvement in usability even
    if it has the same 128 kbps limitation. I got a headphone adapter for the
    7135. The sound is more than good enough for listening on airliners etc..

    --

    Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:01:42 -0800, Quick wrote:
    >
    >> Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The antique H89 could get a directory off of its floppy
    >>> in a second or so. That's with a 2 mHz 8 bit
    >>> processor. One would think a 33 mHz processor would be
    >>> a bit faster reading the directory. Instead it is many
    >>> times slower.
    >>
    >> uhhhhh, how large was the floppy?
    >>
    > Floppies ranged from 70k to about a meg. I had a 10 MB
    > hard drive on my first PC which stored hundreds of files
    > and didn't make we wait to list them.

    I don't know but I think your hard drive and your floppy used
    a file system where the directory was stored on the media. I
    think that the SD card simply looks like memory and not a
    file system as such? Each application builds it's own file
    directory each time you load the application. Some applications,
    like Bebopper, will save that directory for next time (play list).
    Just a speculation.

    > Anyway, the BeBop player is a tremendous improvement in
    > usability even if it has the same 128 kbps limitation. I got a
    > headphone adapter for the 7135. The sound is more than
    > good enough for listening on airliners etc..

    I think I'm doing 192kbps MP3s with no problem with a
    Sandisk Ultra II. I'm sure that some of the Ultra II speed
    capability is wasted due to the 7135 SD interface but there
    is an improvement over "regular" speed SD cards.

    -Quick

    The SD cards used in the 7135 have a FAT file system complete
    with subdirectories.

    Many devices use the FAT file system. That's why there was
    so much commotion when Microsoft decided FAT was its IP
    for which everyone else had to pay. Just like SCO Group.
    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
    10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

Verizon MP3 Internet Service Providers