Overclocking a Athlon TBird - How high can I go

G

Now I am planning to buy a TBird 850, and I really wanna now how high can i go, also, if possible instructions hoe do I do that and which cooler do I use...

2nd question is is it better (smarter) to buy ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO, insted 32mb sdr, or for the same ammount of cash to buyadditional 128 mb of ddr (256)

Thank you

PS. Sorry for my not so good english

Bosiljko
Jedan i jedinstveni

G

U can't actually tell which is the fastest speed it will go!
different cpu max out at different speed! Unless you will go for extremely cooling! (at least watercooler) then i would say a 850 will not get much higher then 1.1ghz
(of course with very good air cooling and max out voltage
"at least alpha pal6035 w/ delta 38cmf" "1.85v")

I personally not a 100% gamer so i would advice u on getting the extra ram!
I run 768mb on my with only a Geforce 2 Gts 32mb
the ram will improve your overall system performance!

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
If your really not that familiar with OCing, I would seriously recommend learing everything about cooling and your hardware before you attempt to do so. Your not only risking your CPU...

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Follow Tempus' advice and read first. If you are getting a chip and want maximum value get an AXIA 1G tbird and mate it to a AMD760/kt133a chipset for best results. Research cooling like it was your final year exam too.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Now I am planning to buy a TBird 850, and I really wanna now how high can i go
There's a lot of variables in there. You'll be able to get a FSB of 133, no matter what else you do. There's a 10% boost right off the top. Most likely, if you are aircooling, you can go up above 925mhz at the same vcore. If you boost your vcore up to 1.85, you can get a little over 1ghz. It will be stable, in that you can run seti and unreal tourney for 24+ hours without a lockup. But when you go to install windows 98/me/2k, you'll get file read errors until you drop your temps into the mid 40's. Which means powering back down.....

Now everything changes if you watercool, or watercool a peltier. You can get upwards of 1150mhz on a watercooled peltier, but you'll have to mod your voltage to around 2.1v.

G

Well, the chipset that will buy is KT133A, and the CPU is my only consern, some of my friends told me that I buy a TBird 650 and then OC him on 866 whith no problem, is that true,
PS. is a Cooler THERMALTAKE, Chrome ORB (socket A), good enoughf for the cooling job...

Bosiljko
Jedan i jedinstveni

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I would personally stay well away from any 'Orb' cooler. They are largely not effective coolers, and often result in installation complications that kill cpus.

there are any number of good recommended coolers out there. If you want to do some serious overclocking then think about a volcano II, swiftech 370 or higher. Bear in mind you'll probably rapidly hit a point where you spend more cooling your cpu than you do buying it.

Are you really limited for budget? About $135 will buy you a 1G AXIA (make sure you get AXIA) tbird. You would be unlucky not to run this at 1.4G for a reasonable temperature. Compare that to a 650 (I don't off hand know where you can still get them) and I think you'll get great value out of it.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

You said you were looking at good video card or buying extra DDR memory? Just as an FYI a KT133A mobo does NOT support DDR memory. You'll need the KT266, AM760 or the Ali MAGiK1 chipset to support DDR memory...

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks for pointing that out, i was just about to. dont get any ddr memory for a chipset that doesnt support it. it will be useless.

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

G

The thing is that in my country 1Gh+Hz Axia T-Bird costs about 230 USD, and that is a lot (it is months pay of my mother) and it is a really expensive son of a bitch, on the other hand TBird 850 costs 130 USD, and it seems a bit more smarter buy, on the third hand TBird 650 costs 83 USD, and I am told that it can be eassilly clocked to 866 whitout any problem... that was a reason for me to post this and ask your oppinions (ups bad spelling).

About the 2nd questin, I was not shure what chipset, the kt133a whit sdr or kt266 whit ddr, then I askeed the question obout radeon od more memmory. But eventually I picked kt133a and SDR Rams...

Bosiljko
Jedan i jedinstveni

G

I think the KT133A is a smart move move. I don't see where the DDR systems really show that much of difference in performance. Plus the mobos seem to be pretty mature for the KT133As.

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

G

Since it appears that money is an issue, I would really recommend getting a Duron processor, just to save some cash. You can get a Duron 700 or 750 for only a few dollars more than a 650 (in fact on www.pricewatch.com the 750 is cheaper than the 650, at $36 USD). I have a Duron 700, Abit KT7A, and a Globalwin WBK38 (with 1 additional case fan) running ROCK SOLID at 933 (with 133FSB), and as soon as I add my 120mm fan, will be running at 1Ghz (currently it can do it, but I don't like my temperature at 48C). As stated above, you can get practically any T-Bird or Duron to run at 133FSB (you may need to lower the multiplier to do so), so make sure you take advantage of that.

As far as your video card, the 64MB DDR will be a lot better, but if the 32MB SDR is all you can afford, its better than nothing.