Fastest PII overclock?

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a PII 350 that is starting to show its age. Now, the mobo I have has 103, 112, and 133 mHz FSB capability that will allow me to get 466 mHz out of this chip. It has a locked multiplier so FSB speed increasing is the only way to do it. Now, I raised the FSB to 133 and it posted alright at 467 mHz, loaded Win 2000, but soon after froze, althought the mouse still worked. However, Win 2000 is EXREMELY unstable on that system anyway, so I am thinking it may have just been coincidence as it freezes or reboots fairly frequently (atleast once a day). Well, here's my question. I want to get the most performance possible without buying new parts. I am gonna put Win 98 SE on there and attempt to keep 466 mHz on that system. But, I need to know if I should even bother trying to do it, as in purchasing special cooling, etc, or just give up because it will be too unstable an overclock because it is too high for an old PII. Has anyone else here successfully overclocked old PIIs to decent levels? If so, was anything special done in achieving the goal? What heights were reached? Thankyou for any help, info, or guidance anyone can give.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

I ran a p2 350@467 for about 6 month before upgrading to a p2 400@533.This was on an Asus P2B motherboard. never a problem. The higher bus clock really helps. Right now i have a Asus CUSL2-C with a P3 550E@858. I get 3224 score in 3DMark 2001.

I aint signing nothing!!!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
get a copy of motherboard monitor and check what your cpu temp is. you may want to consider two things.

Is your RAM capable of supporting 133FSB (SiSoft Sandra will tell you).

Do I need to raise my v-core voltage? Again that will be down to whether the mobo can support it... It will help with stability but add heat to your cpu.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The CPU temp at full load seems to be about 50°C, idle at about 37°, at 350 mHz. It posts and loads Windows 98 SE ok, but locks up shortly after. I'll see about the RAM. It's pretty old, and only 64 MB PC100, so that might be what the problem is. I can't raise the voltage, as the motherboard sets it automatically at 1.97 volts. I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM anyways, as 64 MB really slows things dows running Windows 98 and trying to multitask while running Word, Quickbooks, and a couple of Explorer windows at the same time. So, I guess my final course of action is to get 128 MB PC133 RAM, maybe some thermal paste, and try it then. Right now though I may be stuck at leaving it at 100 or 112 FSB. Thanks for the info though.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"