Printer Icons gone

I have 2 Windows XP computers with the same problems.
Both have XP Pro installed.They are hooked up to a
network. Both computers have HP 812C printers hooked to
them (different printers) and also have a Xerox printer
as a network printer.

My problem is that when you go into printer & faxes it
does not show any printers. One one of the Computers I
have reinstalled windows and the icons show back up for a
few days and then they are gone again.

Also I cannot print from outlook express or the internet
by pressing the print button at the top of the page. It
gives me the following error message: "An error occurred
during this operation"

I can print by going to the file button at the top left
and then print.

I want to be able to delete the printers and reinstall
them.

Please help as I am pulling my hair out over this problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about printer icons gone

    Pat,

    I also have the very same problem. I believe this has been
    caused by an Windows Update although I attempted to return
    to a previous state and have not been able to cure the
    problem. Rebooting at times will bring back the ICONs and
    I can print but eventually they will go away.

    The usual reason for these kinds of issue is bad printer drivers. See
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Pat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 2 Windows XP computers with the same problems.
    > Both have XP Pro installed.They are hooked up to a
    > network. Both computers have HP 812C printers hooked to
    > them (different printers) and also have a Xerox printer
    > as a network printer.
    >
    > My problem is that when you go into printer & faxes it
    > does not show any printers. One one of the Computers I
    > have reinstalled windows and the icons show back up for a
    > few days and then they are gone again.
    >
    > Also I cannot print from outlook express or the internet
    > by pressing the print button at the top of the page. It
    > gives me the following error message: "An error occurred
    > during this operation"
    >
    > I can print by going to the file button at the top left
    > and then print.
    >
    > I want to be able to delete the printers and reinstall
    > them.
    >
    > Please help as I am pulling my hair out over this problem.

Computers Printers Windows XP