Recommendations for phone - data question

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 15, 2005 2:27:52 AM

I'm due for a new phones via the New every two plan. I'm looking for
suggestions that would meet the following:

- Tri mode, nothing really fancy

- Reasonably durable (as phones go these days)

- readily available batteries, chargers...

- can be used as a modem, high speed may not be an issue (see below)

- Can support external power and data at same time

- external antenna connector a plus without $$$ car kits

- flip ok, not needed

- no camera

- no web functions needed.

Regarding Data, I'm on The AC plan. I don't know if National Access (high
speed data) costs more or not. I have no need for it if it is $$$.

Any suggestions out of Verizon's current offerings?

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

February 15, 2005 6:40:12 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:27:52 -0500, gerry wrote:

>I'm due for a new phones via the New every two plan. I'm looking for
>suggestions that would meet the following:
>
>- Tri mode, nothing really fancy
>
>- Reasonably durable (as phones go these days)
>
>- readily available batteries, chargers...
>
>- can be used as a modem, high speed may not be an issue (see below)
>
>- Can support external power and data at same time
>
>- external antenna connector a plus without $$$ car kits
>
>- flip ok, not needed
>
>- no camera
>
>- no web functions needed.

To check out the phones, you're probably going to have to go to a store (unless someone in the newsgroup happens to have a
model that fits all your qualifications) or you spend a lot of time doing research on the internet as Verizon's web site does not
contain much of this information.

Tri-Mode, e.g., is no longer listed, perhaps because VZW is trying to become digital only (I got my phone last month and chose
the LG VX6100 because it was tri-mode and the LG VX7000 and the Motorola 720 [or is it 710] weren't). There were maybe 3 or
4 other phones, but some (Sanyo?) did have mobile office kits [which I presume means did not support data transfer] and the
others lacked features and accessories I wanted.

No camera, I assumed, from the lack of picture messaging being listed as a feature at the VZW homepage; thus limited, you won't
come near to using up your $100 allowance --- why not get a picture phone and not use the feature (or use it with BitPim [free at
SourceForge] and the cable you'll be purchasing to transfer it to your laptop, avoiding VZW's $0.25 per photo charge; similarly,
web functions need not be used (and I think have been available on ALL phones in some form since at least 2001).

The best reason to go to the VZW store is for price comparisons. When I got my phone, the VX6100 was listed on the VZW
Webpage as $199 for new customers and some higher price ($249) for existing customers; the $199 was the price listed at the
store for new customers (no listing for old customers). The service representative quoted me $150 for the phone which less the
$100 New Every Two discount I received meant I had to pay only $50 that day, which was refunded to me as part of a rebate
promotion that was in effect through the end of January (the list price of the phone was reduced to $125 at the store now that new
phones have come out). I don't know how much the price was affected by my vocal protest that new customers seemingly were
treated better than existing customers, but it certainly didn't hurt to add that I was ready to go to another carrier if it had equivalent
service and a better offer now and would consider returning only if the new carrier also ignored existing customers.

As to my own experience with the LG VX6100, I would recommend it as satisfying all your conditions except, possibly, dual
power/data and durability. Having had the phone for only a month, I really can't comment on this (but would note that it already
has outlasted my first phone -- an Audiovox circa 1991 -- which was built like a tank but whose screen stopped working the first
time it was dropped). I've seen that some of the data cables being sold on eBay claim to recharge the phone but I have my
doubt; neither the cable that comes with the Mobile Office Kit nor the one that I purchased with the DataPilot Data Transfer kit
makes that claim and DataPilot even says that the phone should be removed from the cable when there is no data transfer in
order to avoid power drain (which seems consistent with my experience --- the phone's battery meter normally takes several days
to go from four bars to one or two, but can do so in a few hours while doing data transfers).

As an aside, I purchased DataPilot kit because the Mobile Office kit software only provides for transfer of your phone book (VZW
trying to make certain you pay for transferring anything else) and that even proved next to useless to me when the software
stopped being able to read its own data files (a workaround proved to be saving to comma delimited format, but in rereading
those text files all icons on the phone had to be reset); I subsequently learned about BitPim which while not as feature laden as
DataPilot is more than sufficient for my needs and I gather would be sufficient for yours. The Mobile Office Kit actually contains
two CDs: one with the software that proved useless to me (called Quik something) and some Windows drivers and other with the
VZWAccess software and Windows drivers for the VX6100. While drivers are supposed to be readily available for download and
you're supposed to be able to set up the DUN dialer in Windows to use, the messages on the VX6100 list at Yahoo groups
indicate otherwise. The VZWAccess software actually create two dialers, one for National Enhanced Service and one for normal
service, and the drivers make your phone appear to Windows as a COM port and as a modem (on a different COM port); I
believe BitPim/Quik? use the former while VZWAccess/DUN use the latter. This past week, there also was mentioned on the
Yahoo group that VZW required $50 to replace a phone that was unable to be recharged because a no-name cable purchased
on eBay apparently had damaged the connector on the phone; the writer, also a user of BitPim, recommended the purchase the
MOK to avoid paying more in the long run and because the ease of installation of the drivers and VZWAccess software more than
makes up for the difference in cost over the no-name cable initially (a conclusion with which I agree).
February 15, 2005 11:49:15 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:40:12 -0500 (EST), "Philip R. Mann"
<prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com> wrote:

>Tri-Mode, e.g., is no longer listed, perhaps because VZW is trying to become digital only (I got my phone last month and chose
>the LG VX6100 because it was tri-mode and the LG VX7000 and the Motorola 720 [or is it 710] weren't).

Hi Phillip,

I have been reading how Verizon wants to go digital only. I'm not
sure what that means when you are in analog only areas. Will the
phone just not work? I know it won't connect to the Internet, but can
you talk on it in non digital areas?

Hunter
Related resources
February 15, 2005 12:37:50 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:49:15 -0500, Hunter <HHamp5246@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:40:12 -0500 (EST), "Philip R. Mann"
><prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Tri-Mode, e.g., is no longer listed, perhaps because VZW is trying to become digital only (I got my phone last month and chose
>>the LG VX6100 because it was tri-mode and the LG VX7000 and the Motorola 720 [or is it 710] weren't).
>
>Hi Phillip,
>
>I have been reading how Verizon wants to go digital only. I'm not
>sure what that means when you are in analog only areas. Will the
>phone just not work? I know it won't connect to the Internet, but can
>you talk on it in non digital areas?
>
>Hunter

A Digital only phone won't work in an analog only area, even for 911.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

February 15, 2005 2:08:46 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:37:50 -0500, gerry <gerrry__net@gogood.com>
wrote:

>A Digital only phone won't work in an analog only area, even for 911.
>
>gerry

Then why do they want to switch? Isn't the point to be able to make
and receive calls?

Hunter
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:08:47 PM

Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:37:50 -0500, gerry <gerrry__net@gogood.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A Digital only phone won't work in an analog only area, even for 911.
>>
>> gerry
>
> Then why do they want to switch? Isn't the point to be able to make
> and receive calls?
>
> Hunter

Eventually it will be that way (digital prefferred), but there are a few
phones on the verizon website listed as "Tri Mode".. The previous poster who
said they are digital only was WRONG... The first three phones shown on the
website are all tri-mode! (nokia 6015I, LG VX-3200, Samsung SCH-a650) <--
non camera phones.
February 15, 2005 7:16:03 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:08:46 -0500, Hunter <HHamp5246@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:37:50 -0500, gerry <gerrry__net@gogood.com>
>wrote:
>
>>A Digital only phone won't work in an analog only area, even for 911.
>>
>>gerry
>
>Then why do they want to switch? Isn't the point to be able to make
>and receive calls?

Cheaper to make a digital only than digital + analog. Someday there
probably will be no analog left at all. But there are a few areas it's
needed.

I happen to pass through an analog only area (roaming partner) regularly
so tri-mode is important to me.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

February 15, 2005 7:19:05 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:40:12 -0500 (EST), "Philip R. Mann"
<prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:27:52 -0500, gerry wrote:
>
>>I'm due for a new phones via the New every two plan. I'm looking for
>>suggestions that would meet the following:
>>
>>- Tri mode, nothing really fancy
>>
>>- Reasonably durable (as phones go these days)
>>
>>- readily available batteries, chargers...
>>
>>- can be used as a modem, high speed may not be an issue (see below)
>>
>>- Can support external power and data at same time
>>
>>- external antenna connector a plus without $$$ car kits
>>
>>- flip ok, not needed
>>
>>- no camera
>>
>>- no web functions needed.
>
>To check out the phones, you're probably going to have to go to a store (unless someone in the newsgroup happens to have a
>model that fits all your qualifications) or you spend a lot of time doing research on the internet as Verizon's web site does not
>contain much of this information.

If the folks at my Verizon store knew the answers, I would not have
posted.

I explicitly was seeking someone with information/experience relevant to
the requirements I posted.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

February 15, 2005 7:19:06 PM

gerry wrote:

>>> - Can support external power and data at same time
>>>

> If the folks at my Verizon store knew the answers, I would not have
> posted.
>
> I explicitly was seeking someone with information/experience relevant
> to the requirements I posted.
>
> gerry

Unfortunately you added that one statement in there....
I have NEVER seen one that does "AND"... there are many out there that do
"OR".

As far as I can tell, if a phone is actually in use, the battery doesn't
charge till you hang up.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 7:47:53 PM

"gerry"

| >To check out the phones, you're probably going to have to go to a store
(unless someone in the newsgroup happens to have a
| >model that fits all your qualifications) or you spend a lot of time doing
research on the internet as Verizon's web site does not
| >contain much of this information.
|

| If the folks at my Verizon store knew the answers, I would not have
| posted.

AMEN
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:53:58 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:49:15 -0500, Hunter wrote:

>I have been reading how Verizon wants to go digital only. I'm not
>sure what that means when you are in analog only areas.

It means no service unless you have a tri-mode phone or VZW has an agreement with a digital provider in the area (or until VZW provides digital service in the are).
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:20:19 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:08:46 -0500, Hunter wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:37:50 -0500, gerry <gerrry__net@gogood.com>
> wrote:
>
>>A Digital only phone won't work in an analog only area, even for 911.
>>
>>gerry
>
> Then why do they want to switch? Isn't the point to be able to make
> and receive calls?
>
> Hunter

Many more digital phone calls can be handled by a digital tower than can
analog phone calls through an analog tower. The more customers that can
be serviced in an area - the more profits for the cell carriers.

Plus, they can make more money from us by charging for wallpaper, ringtones,
pix and text messaging, etc. These options are practically impossible with
an analog system.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:20:20 AM

CellGuy wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:08:46 -0500, Hunter wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:37:50 -0500, gerry
>> <gerrry__net@gogood.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A Digital only phone won't work in an analog only area,
>>> even for 911.
>>>
>>> gerry
>>
>> Then why do they want to switch? Isn't the point to be
>> able to make and receive calls?
>>
>> Hunter
>
> Many more digital phone calls can be handled by a digital
> tower than can analog phone calls through an analog
> tower. The more customers that can be serviced in an
> area - the more profits for the cell carriers.

Well... this is true. On the flip side "fast busy" is not real
popular from the user's perspective either.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:02:45 AM

Peter Pan wrote:
> As far as I can tell, if a phone is actually in use, the battery doesn't
> charge till you hang up.

I think it depends on the capacity of the charger. Lots of times the
charger cannot quite keep up with the current usage of the phone while
in a call, so the charge actually goes DOWN during a long call. People
using the phone as a modem often see this (presumably because the phone
is using more power pretty much continuously to support the data
traffic, as opposed to in voice calls which have intermittent peaking in
transmitter usage only when you are actually talking). But
higher-capacity chargers, and car chargers in particular, have enough
capacity to support the call and have enough left over to charge (if the
phone's firmware supports this).
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:02:46 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, if a phone is actually in use, the battery
>> doesn't charge till you hang up.
>
> I think it depends on the capacity of the charger. Lots of times the
> charger cannot quite keep up with the current usage of the phone while
> in a call, so the charge actually goes DOWN during a long call. People
> using the phone as a modem often see this (presumably because the
> phone is using more power pretty much continuously to support the data
> traffic, as opposed to in voice calls which have intermittent peaking
> in transmitter usage only when you are actually talking). But
> higher-capacity chargers, and car chargers in particular, have enough
> capacity to support the call and have enough left over to charge (if
> the phone's firmware supports this).

I have seen it when using it as a modem and with long calls, I have a
wireless headset on mine in the RV, and sometimes talk for a very long time,
when the battery finally dies in the phone, I can't call again until the
battery gets up to about 1/4 charge or so... IHIWTH cause I can't call back
and say why we were cut off... :(

Makes me wonder what happens if the phone is completely dead, can I use a
charger to make a call? Or do they make adapters to power the phone with a
completely dead battery? Sure would be handy in cars if you could run off
the lighter even if the battery was totally dead.
February 16, 2005 1:02:59 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:41:20 -0800, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>> If the folks at my Verizon store knew the answers, I would not have
>> posted.
>>
>> I explicitly was seeking someone with information/experience relevant
>> to the requirements I posted.
>>
>> gerry
>
>Unfortunately you added that one statement in there....
>I have NEVER seen one that does "AND"... there are many out there that do
>"OR".
>
>As far as I can tell, if a phone is actually in use, the battery doesn't
>charge till you hang up.

The "AND" was intentional. My current Nokia 3285 meets that requirement.
Depending upon the model charger, the battery either charges very slowly
or at a decent pace/

The real requirement is the phone not discharge the battery while in use.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

February 17, 2005 12:12:40 AM

I'll second that. My Kyocera 2235 (and my wife's 2035) both allowed the
phone to charge while connected via the data cable. The difference in
connection times showed too. My 2235 went from ~2hrs on a full charge to
more than 4hrs while connected to Verizon's QNC.

JDB

February 18, 2005 3:24:02 AM

gerry wrote:

> If the folks at my Verizon store knew the answers, I would not have
> posted.

Hee hee, I fully understand that! Store salespeople have not been
helpful at anytime I needed answers.

Just for kicks call customer service. I did get someone who WAS helpful
in figuring out my replacement phone.

-Pete
!