Joe

I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
up the install tool. this just started happening in the
last week.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with the Lexmark Z35, which is USB only. I recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my problems. I have a laptop that is frequently moved from point A to point B and the USB printer is unplugged and re-attached each time and each time I get a new installation for the USB Z35 printer even though it's the same printer. You end up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up to date and so does XP.

I also need to print lables and I can not print a label at all with MS Word 2K, XP and my Z35. When I select the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents but not a label. Don't know if the two are related but using Windows ME everything worked. I get normal print indications for labels such as the initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer status panel.

I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB Ports. Have you heard anything about this?

"joe" wrote:

> I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
> start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
> even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
> up the install tool. this just started happening in the
> last week.

First of all you should keep the printer connected to the SAME USB port on a
PC.

Now you should uninstall and reinstall completely.... and since it's a
Lexmark...

Pay particular attention to steps 14 through 16
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
> start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
> even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
> up the install tool. this just started happening in the
> last week.

I have answered your problem in your other posting as it is not related to
this discussion.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm having the same problem with the Lexmark Z35, which is USB only. I
> recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. Everything worked
> well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my problems. I have a
> laptop that is frequently moved from point A to point B and the USB
> printer is unplugged and re-attached each time and each time I get a new
> installation for the USB Z35 printer even though it's the same printer.
> You end up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer
> unless you can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP
> wants to communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my
> drivers are up to date and so does XP.
>
> I also need to print lables and I can not print a label at all with MS
> Word 2K, XP and my Z35. When I select the correct Z35 from the many
> installed I can print normal documents but not a label. Don't know if the
> two are related but using Windows ME everything worked. I get normal print
> indications for labels such as the initial printer handshake where the
> printer starts doing it's double 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely
> nothing. It's like XP already thought the print job was completed and even
> shows 0 print jobs in the printer status panel.
>
> I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's
> Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB
> Ports. Have you heard anything about this?

WHY????

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First of all you should keep the printer connected to the SAME USB port on a
> PC.
>
> Now you should uninstall and reinstall completely.... and since it's a
> Lexmark...
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>
> Pay particular attention to steps 14 through 16
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
> > start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
> > even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
> > up the install tool. this just started happening in the
> > last week.

Because the printer does not have a unique ID inside it... so each time you
connect it to a different USB port, XP thinks you are installing a second
instance of the printer.... ie a duplicate. And some people do have two
models of the exact same printer.

A few printers have the unique ID hard coded into them... therefore XP knows
that this is the same printer. Yours, apparently, does not. Not a
Microsoft issue, a Lexmark one. Complain to them.... but hard coding
probably costs $s and Lexmark are not really known for their expensive
products, but their so-called value ones!
--

> WHY????
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> First of all you should keep the printer connected to the SAME USB port
>> on a
>> PC.
>>
>> Now you should uninstall and reinstall completely.... and since it's a
>> Lexmark...
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>>
>> Pay particular attention to steps 14 through 16
>> --
>> Cari
>> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
>> > start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
>> > even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
>> > up the install tool. this just started happening in the
>> > last week.

Cari,

I am new to the forum, but noticed you have answered many questions.

Mine is similar to this ( except that I purchased lexmark x125 because it
fit my needs and I did not want to sprend more than i did for features--so
let me apologize in advance for not purchasing a more expensive/more featured
printer).

I do recognize your expertise and would appreciate your help.

My lexmark x125 installed okay on my xp pro, but will not communicate--i.e.
the print queue backs up and I cannot delte the first item in the queue.

My lexmark box in tool bar has "x:" so I believe it is communication.

My old HP did and does work fine ( I am USB connected).

I may have some existing software interfering, or, possibly I need to
disable Norton and reinstall.

I am an engineer but not a computer jock.

Any help appreciated -- tsirk@eandetech.com

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Because the printer does not have a unique ID inside it... so each time you
> connect it to a different USB port, XP thinks you are installing a second
> instance of the printer.... ie a duplicate. And some people do have two
> models of the exact same printer.
>
> A few printers have the unique ID hard coded into them... therefore XP knows
> that this is the same printer. Yours, apparently, does not. Not a
> Microsoft issue, a Lexmark one. Complain to them.... but hard coding
> probably costs $s and Lexmark are not really known for their expensive
> products, but their so-called value ones!
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > WHY????
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> First of all you should keep the printer connected to the SAME USB port
> >> on a
> >> PC.
> >>
> >> Now you should uninstall and reinstall completely.... and since it's a
> >> Lexmark...
> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
> >>
> >> Pay particular attention to steps 14 through 16
> >> --
> >> Cari
> >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>
> >> "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Did you uninstall the old HP before installing the new Lexmark? Is it the
same USB port and/or USB cable?

First thing I would do is a complete uninstall and reinstall, using the
instructions on Bruce Sanderson's website. Disconnect the printer first.

Then download the latest drivers from the Lexmark website at
www.lexmark.com. Install the software and do not connect the printer to the
PC until the software tells you to do so.
www.coribright.com

"tsirk" <tsirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cari,
>
> I am new to the forum, but noticed you have answered many questions.
>
> Mine is similar to this ( except that I purchased lexmark x125 because it
> fit my needs and I did not want to sprend more than i did for features--so
> let me apologize in advance for not purchasing a more expensive/more
> featured
> printer).
>
> I do recognize your expertise and would appreciate your help.
>
> My lexmark x125 installed okay on my xp pro, but will not
> communicate--i.e.
> the print queue backs up and I cannot delte the first item in the queue.
>
> My lexmark box in tool bar has "x:" so I believe it is communication.
>
> My old HP did and does work fine ( I am USB connected).
>
> I may have some existing software interfering, or, possibly I need to
> disable Norton and reinstall.
>
> I am an engineer but not a computer jock.
>
> Any help appreciated -- tsirk@eandetech.com
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Because the printer does not have a unique ID inside it... so each time
>> you
>> connect it to a different USB port, XP thinks you are installing a second
>> instance of the printer.... ie a duplicate. And some people do have two
>> models of the exact same printer.
>>
>> A few printers have the unique ID hard coded into them... therefore XP
>> knows
>> that this is the same printer. Yours, apparently, does not. Not a
>> Microsoft issue, a Lexmark one. Complain to them.... but hard coding
>> probably costs $s and Lexmark are not really known for their expensive
>> products, but their so-called value ones!
>> --
>> Cari
>> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > WHY????

I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE THE LEXMARK X73 AT A FAIRLY LOW COST BUT I
WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY DUE TO THE PROBLEMS IT
MAY HAVE WITH THE WINDOWS XP COMPATABILITY. ALL I WANT IT FOR IS TO SCAN ALL
OF MY OLD PHOTOS SO THAT I CAN PUT THEM ON CD DISC'S AND SAVE THEM IN A SAFE
PLACE , SO I WILL HAVE THEM FOREVER.ANYBODY HAVE "MAJOR" PROBLEMS WITH THIS
BRAND/MODEL?

"joe" wrote:

> I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
> start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
> even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
> up the install tool. this just started happening in the
> last week.

Please turn off you Caps Lock key. It's considered shouting, is extremely
rude and makes the posting difficult to read.

You should ask yourself why the printer is being sold at such a low price to
begin with. If this is a private sale ask the current owner why they are
selling it. Does it come with FULL ink tanks as replacing them may cost as
much -or more - than buying a new printer. Do you currently have a printer
you are happy with? Then consider purchasing a standalone scanner.
www.coribright.com

"joe" wrote:

> I unpluged my usb port on my printer, now everytime I
> start the PC i get a "found new hardware" for the printer
> even though the printer is working fine. it will bring
> up the install tool. this just started happening in the
> last week.

Hi i have problems with Lexmark x 73 i would not spend the money on that printer. We try to scan and copy old photos and sometime it works and sometime it DOES NOT work. When it does not work it will say that the printer is ENABLED. For that part of the printer i would not buy another one. I will buy something els. It has good printing quality, when you print. When the printer does not work i have to uninstall lexmark x 73 and reinstall the program from lexmark website. We have the instalation cd's but they do not seem to work properlly to install the program. We currently are using that printer, but as soon as we can afford a new one, we are considering buying a KODAK all in one printer. I hope this helps anyone that is looking to buy any LEXMARK product.