Thoughts on the AMD standard hsf??

yosarian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all-
I just received a reatil boxed AMD 1ghz TBird cpu. What are the thoughts/feelings on the hsf taht is included with it? Good, bad, ugly? Should I get something else, and if so, what?

Thanks!

Edison

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
For those who are replying to the previous post regarding a 1K TBird, I'd like to ask the same thing regarding the retail 1300 TBird. The HSF is so large compared to one on an 850 TBird, it might actually work. <g>

If the concensus is that it won't be effective, I'll just go ahead and order a Global Win WBK or FOP38.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The retail fan on the 1Ghz is just OK if you don't plan on overclocking. You might also want to properly ventilate the casing or the temp could go very high.

With just an small frontal intake fan and the retail HSF (but with Arctic silver) my cpu is 54C under 100% load (wich is considered high, but it runs stable), but goes down to 42C when idle.

Just add blow holes or outake fans to get this baby cooler.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm sure that amd wouldn't put a waranty on the cpu if the hs/fan combo wasn't up to the task. of course, if you overclock the warranty's void... i'm sure it will be fine as long as your case has good airflow through it.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

yosarian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks for the thought. No, I don't plan on overclocking.
As for adequate cooling/airflow, I think I am ok. Currently, I am running an AMD 350 and that gets to 37C at idle on a warm (mid-80's) afternoon, about 32C at idle in the late evening. I guess after I set things up and running, I will know for sure!

Thanks!

Edison

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the stock HSF. I do know when I switched from the stock cooler on my 850 Tbird to a FOP 32-1 and a Volcano II I did see about a five degree difference. Since I now have a WBK on hand, I'll have to test it out to see if it's a loud as everyone says. Right now I have two case fans plus the power supply so the unit is not exactly quiet.

G

Yosarian,

I haven't seen the Tbird hsf, but the one on my retail Duron 800 was not as bad I expected--once I scrubbed off the thermal grease it came with and put on some Arctic Silver II. Consequently I was treated to the spectacle of my idle CPU temp 3-5 degrees LOWER than my system temp! (Duron running at 1000/133 on a KT7A, core 1.85v, I/O 3.6v). Of course it gets into the high 50s under full load... so I am in the market for something better.

yosarian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey housewares-
I thought about putting arctic silver (or something like it) on the hsf and cpu, but I don't want to risk voiding the warranty. So for now, I think I am going to stick with the therm al "tape" they provide and see how it goes. If I think its getting too hot, I can always try other methods. I think I have the thing vented properly for a Tbird (its a full size case with an Enermax power supply with the suction fan on the bottom, and to case fans blowing out the back.) I don't notice any nose, probably cause I have an external drive running next to my head all the time.

Live and Learn!