Oh my god i can't stand the noise anymore

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I recently bought a tbird 800 (overclocked to 880) and a MSI turbo-r mobo. I bought a FOP-38 to cool the cpu and used artic silver II. The temp is 43C. The bad thing is that the fan is too noisy and its driving me crazy. Its like i have an airbus taking off from my house!!!!! Can i buy a new fan and place it over the heatsink and which one? or the power of the cooler will be wasted by replacing the fan and i should better buy a new one? Which one is good and quiet (i REALLY need something quiet).

Palpatine

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you could try going with an 80 mm fan and make a shroud to direct the air at the heat sink

our you could put a reastat on the fan so that you turn it down it is not under heavy use

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'd just go buy a 80mm fan, and bend the UHHHH! out of the clip to get it stretched across the holes on the fan. You'll see at least a 2C rise on your temps, but it's a quick fix until you feel like setting up the ducting. Most likely, you'll have to support the fan/duct if you hook it up to the heatsink.

G

There is an article at overclockers.com that seems to indicate that ducting to an 80mm fan doesn't seem to work to well.

To get within tolerable noise levels, you will have to give up some RPM's. You might consider the GlobalWin WBK68, the Silverado, or the newest Taisol 760. Perhaps even the new heavy Millenium Glaciator.

I'm looking for a good cooling solution too that does not include the infamous Delta black label fan.

G

Heh, I can't even hear my internal modem dial out anymore! :) But I don't have any problem with that as my cooling is finally where I wanted it to be. Hell, I just put a Delta 7k 68cfm fan on my mc462 today, and didn't even notice an increase in noise!

It's almost 80f in my house right now, and I currently have 91f on the chip with a few windows and Outlook 2k running...

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'm using a Sunon 'Green' low output fan and it's a lot quieter than the Globalwin or Delta fans for little heat penalty - 2 or 3 degrees.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details