Printing Problem's (USB & Labels)

June 17, 2004 12:43:03 PM

I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my printing problems.

(1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up to date and so does XP.

(2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.

I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help anyone can give.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:36:06 PM

First of all, if the printer was connected during the upgrade, you need to
COMPLETELY uninstall it and then reinstall it.

When it is disconnected and reconnected, you need to ensure it is connected
to the SAME USB port each time.... perhaps labelling which port you use
might help in this regard.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP
>Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my
>printing problems.
>
> (1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB
> printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new
> Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end
> up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you
> can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to
> communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up
> to date and so does XP.
>
> (2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS
> Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select
> the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and
> graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are
> related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the
> initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double
> 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought
> the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer
> status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.
>
> I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's
> Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB
> Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know
> about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help
> anyone can give.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:24:02 PM

I use a USB hub at one location and at the other I use the local pc USB port. Is that not possible to do with XP?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First of all, if the printer was connected during the upgrade, you need to
> COMPLETELY uninstall it and then reinstall it.
> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
>
> When it is disconnected and reconnected, you need to ensure it is connected
> to the SAME USB port each time.... perhaps labelling which port you use
> might help in this regard.
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP
> >Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my
> >printing problems.
> >
> > (1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB
> > printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new
> > Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end
> > up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you
> > can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to
> > communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up
> > to date and so does XP.
> >
> > (2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS
> > Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select
> > the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and
> > graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are
> > related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the
> > initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double
> > 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought
> > the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer
> > status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.
> >
> > I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's
> > Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB
> > Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know
> > about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help
> > anyone can give.

June 17, 2004 2:26:22 PM

In that case it will install itself at each location.
--

>I use a USB hub at one location and at the other I use the local pc USB
>port. Is that not possible to do with XP?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> First of all, if the printer was connected during the upgrade, you need
>> COMPLETELY uninstall it and then reinstall it.
>> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
>>
>> When it is disconnected and reconnected, you need to ensure it is
>> connected
>> to the SAME USB port each time.... perhaps labelling which port you use
>> might help in this regard.
>> --
>> Cari
>> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP
>> >Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did
>> >my
>> >printing problems.
>> >
>> > (1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB
>> > printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a
>> > new
>> > Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You
>> > end
>> > up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless
>> > you
>> > can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to
>> > communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are
>> > up
>> > to date and so does XP.
>> >
>> > (2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS
>> > Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I
>> > select
>> > the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents
>> > and
>> > graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are
>> > related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the
>> > initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double
>> > 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already
>> > thought
>> > the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer
>> > status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.
>> >
>> > I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's
>> > Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB
>> > Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know
>> > about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help
>> > anyone can give.

June 17, 2004 2:57:01 PM

At the bottom of the screen by the clok, there is a little green arrow icon that you click on each time you want to safely remove a piece of hardware.

then, once you plug it back in, the cpu sees it and then automatically remembers it. Try pushing the icon before you unplug your printer and you may be able to fix your little problem.

Thanks

Jody

"GLCKSC" wrote:

> I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my printing problems.
>
> (1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up to date and so does XP.
>
> (2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.
>
> I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help anyone can give.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:15:01 PM

Thanks Jodi ! I'll try that.

"Jody" wrote:

> At the bottom of the screen by the clok, there is a little green arrow icon that you click on each time you want to safely remove a piece of hardware.
>
> then, once you plug it back in, the cpu sees it and then automatically remembers it. Try pushing the icon before you unplug your printer and you may be able to fix your little problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jody
>
> "GLCKSC" wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my printing problems.
> >
> > (1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up to date and so does XP.
> >
> > (2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.
> >
> > I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help anyone can give.

August 20, 2004 12:49:03 AM

cannot get my printer to print when I am online at the frist time this
promble started and now I can not print any thing, also cuold not uninstall

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First of all, if the printer was connected during the upgrade, you need to
> COMPLETELY uninstall it and then reinstall it.
> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
>
> When it is disconnected and reconnected, you need to ensure it is connected
> to the SAME USB port each time.... perhaps labelling which port you use
> might help in this regard.
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "GLCKSC" <GLCKSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP
> >Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my
> >printing problems.
> >
> > (1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB
> > printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new
> > Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end
> > up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you
> > can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to
> > communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up
> > to date and so does XP.
> >
> > (2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS
> > Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select
> > the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and
> > graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are
> > related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the
> > initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double
> > 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought
> > the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer
> > status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.
> >
> > I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's
> > Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB
> > Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know
> > about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help
> > anyone can give.

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:23:59 AM

Blitz the drivers using Bruce Sanderson's website at!
www.coribright.com

!