Doom3 or Half-Life2

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Half-life 2 and Doom3 has been on the gaming news for a long time now. Half-life 2 is almost here and Doom 3, well Doom 3 will be here with in 6 months to 2 years from now. But this game was talking about for over 5 years now. What game are you looking forward for more?

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I am looking forward to both games, but I am especially anticipating Half-Life 2. Heck, I've been a Half-Life jockey for about four years now. I never really touched the original doom much. Back in those days, I played Wolfentstein, Descent - I still play this one, Rise of the Triad, and Dark Forces. If I could only get Descent to work in Windows XP! The original Quake WAS NOT the first fully polygon capable engine with true texturing capabilities, the Descent engine made it in 1994, while quake did not even exist until 1996. And yes, the Descent engine looks GREAT with the unofficial 3dfx patch. I can't wait until Descent 32 is released which will support the Windows 32 platform and have colored liighting, etc.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
i heard that doom3 will be available on November 30, 2003 (in Amazon). I'm also looking forward for both games, and when i played them & i hope i won't cheat coz i ruined so many first person shooter games because of hacking.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
i would like more doom3 than half-life2 here coz i missed it more. Ten years the graphics is too old @ 24fps maximum.
I missed those monsters plus the claustrophobic experience and gore. (pls. id include those mouth-flaming cacodemons in the final game.)

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
All these delays are giving me headaches. I would like to at least play some demos soon. Do you know where I could get ahold of the Doom 3 Alpha version. I tried searching, searching, and searching, all to no avail. I want to see it. I also heard there was an "unnofficial Patch" to the Alpha that dramtically increase FPS. Do you know where to find these 2 files. I know the demo is supposed to be a 380 meg .rar file and I have no utility that can extract this file type. Do you know of any such free utitlity. I think you have to pay for WinRAR.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
WinRAR is free.

I consider game delays to be a good thing. I would MUCH rather wait another 6 months for an *awesome* game, than get a mediocre game right now. There are so many "average" games out there, there's no hurry to get a couple more.

To answer the question in the original post: I'm most looking forward to HL2. I'm predicting that Doom3 will probably be a good game, but will not live up to it's hype. That's right folks, you heard it here first!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
HL2!! HL and Deus Ex are my favorite games. CS Is my alltime favorite multiplayer game. Can you imagine CS on HL2?????

It's not about good or bad, it's about which gets you rich and laid faster.

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Don't forget Origin's System Shock released in 1994, just like the Descent. SS's engine was also a 3D textured engine, with full 3D vector textured objects like furnitures, equipment, etc. Map itself was a bit simplified (it was based on a grid of fixed size), but was a fully 3D. Only monsters and items (like weapons) were bitmap sprites :(.
Also 1994's Under a Killing Moon had some very nice 3D scenes, although a bit small (one room usually), but _VERY_ detailed. 1994 was a good year for 3D games :).

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
the only way i think is to use kazaa and download that 385mb rar file. Haven't tried to download it (too large :()

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
haven't played System shock, maybe i'm missing a lot. D'you know where can i download it.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I wonder which of those came first. I think I heard of System shock recently. WHere can I download a demo of these games just for comparison sake? A GL patch would be nice too.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Somebody posted a link where you could download System Shock II for free I believe. Legally. Search and see if you find it.

dhlucke

Polypheme
<A HREF="http://www.the-underdogs.org" target="_new">http://www.the-underdogs.org</A>

I'm such a nice guy.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Half life 2 is winning my vote so far, thats because I saw what the engine was capable of in the one E3 preview that Gamespy has, the first 2 or 3 minutes was just a guy explaining different graphic effects and everything and showing it in realtime, pretty neat stuff. I saw Doom III too but it was a lot shorter and more like a trailer, but it still looked good none the less.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
System Shock 2 was...correction is still a fantastic experience. Highly recomend you check it out (you can get it on budget for pennies) play it on your own in the dark!!

you can download the Doom III Alpha demo at sharereactor. use and install emule to get it. Not that I condone that sort of thing!! :p (Note it is Very! buggy - not that i have tried it you understand!! oh and FPS were p!ss poor, again not that i downloaded it.)

nobody is talking about DeusEx2 or farcry they too both look great.

Remember too much hype will spoil a game by making your expectations too high.

<i>Mmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
deus-ex could be a shock for me, i haven't yet read anything about it. I wonder if it is written in directx 9.0

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
A good question, lets hope so as it looks great already. I just know all the cool Shadows will eat my system alive.

<i>Mmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Now it 3 exciting games:
Deus EX, HL2, DOOM3
Wonder if they all use DX9 or OPENGL1.4

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I think (note: "Think" :wink: ) that Deus Ex was openGL, dont know why but have that feeling in my head. I have heard that it uses its own new gfx engine so couldnt tell you what it uses, I would imagine DX9 from the look of it.

Cant confirm any of this as Im at work and WW2 concentration camp alram bells sound if I visit a site that remotley smells of gaming.

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
<b>XP2100+, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
now i can take use of my new video card. hope the system requirements for deus ex won't be that high. And better if opengl since nvidia's gpus runs better in it.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>