Sign in with
Your question

Some Questions for my PC gaming

Last response: in Video Games
May 12, 2012 8:35:26 AM

Hello :hello:  ,so I am going to build my own PC for gaming,it'll looks something like that :
CPU: I5 2500k 3.3GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB
GPU: GTX 560 ti
So my questions are:
1. What mobo for OC'ing the CPU should i buy? (i was going to buy a Assrock p67..but im not sure)
2. What PSU should i buy (in my opinion should be something like 500w) ?
3. What type of GTX 560 ti should i get ? (if it really matters)

More about : questions gaming

May 12, 2012 8:52:00 AM

A.1) ASUS SABERTOOTH P67, should do all the tricks, i recommended it to my friend and i OCed his CPU to 4k and rams to 1600 with no (at all) problems :) , also it has UEFI BIOS which you can use mouse and its easy to use besides its now cheap
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...

A.2) a 600w is good and enough unless you're planning for 560 sli then get a 800w

A.3) Asus/Gigabyte/EVGA/MSI are all good and has good feedback from users

hope this helped :) 
m
l
May 12, 2012 8:59:39 AM

I have a very similar setup, i5 2500k, Asus 560 Ti, 8GB RAM and 2x 500GB HDD (RAID 0).

motherboard: if you are wanting it for pure gaming performance now I'd drop down to a 2300 or 2400 and get a cheaper motherboard, spending the savings on a faster graphics card. In this system the graphics card is the bottleneck. the CPU even at stock has plenty of juice for gaming and if I were to choose my parts again then I'd do that. Mind you, I bought my system when sandy bridge was new, and my P67 mobo was far more expensive than the H61 and H67 models! maybe look into it and see how much money you can save and what graphics card you could upgrade to.

PSU requirements: I have tested my setup with a wattmeter and based on this I recommend a 500-550W PSU. The max I ever got was 470W (590W from the wall), and that was with a MAXIMUM overclock, as in 4.9GHz 1.5v and same level of OCing for my GPU... running prime95 and furmark. real life settings with P95 and FM were 350W, so don't think you need a 2 billion watt PSU like the PSU calculators say! =D if you are looking for a cheaper good quality unit look at the XFX core 550W.

graphics card branding: I have the Asus 560 Ti Direct CUII model, and it looks fantastic if you have a side panel and care about looks. by default, I feel the fans kick in too early, but once you run some fan control software the noise is fine! I use MSI afterburner and have it overclocked to 920 core clock and the fans never go above 40% when gaming. The MSI twin frozr editions seem to be the bee's knees for this range of cards though.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 10:00:47 PM

Ok, Pete. I think the budget is usually the main factor in determining how to upgrade your PC. Also, I tend to try and future proof mine for 3 or 4 years- which will lean towards spending a few more dollars.

1. I have an Asus P8Z68-MPro mobo. It's great for Oc'ing on the i5. There is an AI Suite that will OC automatically for you or you can go into the BIOS and adjust everything yourself. I usually keep my i5 at 4.3 Ghz. That's on the stock fan. It runs way hot at 4.5 and crashes at 4.6Ghz! But if you want to go that fast- a big ass cpu fan should not be a question. lol.

I bought my 6970 about 6 months before I built my latest rig and my only regret is that it isn't PCIE 3.0. I didn't see any 560ti that were PCIE3.0, but that is something to keep in mind about your mobo and vid card. They're going to be backwards compatible, but to get your best performance- I'd try and get both at 3.0. NOTE: The ASUS above is a PCIE 2.0 mobo.

2. The guys above made great suggestions/points. I bought an Antec 700W High Current Gamer blah blah blah. Too many words but plenty of power. Just ask yourself- Will you ever want to run SLI?

3. It looks like most of the 560ti's have a 4 star or above rating on Newegg. I noticed an MSI w/ 5 stars-$20 rebate-free copy of NBA 2K11- and a reviewer said it will run BF3 at maxed settings! That one sounds good to me. You might check your measurements and be sure it'll fit in your case.

Man, good luck w/ your choices and keep us posted!
m
l
May 12, 2012 10:17:37 PM

fug1t said:

1. I have an Asus P8Z68-MPro mobo. It's great for Oc'ing on the i5. There is an AI Suite that will OC automatically for you or you can go into the BIOS and adjust everything yourself. I usually keep my i5 at 4.3 Ghz. That's on the stock fan. It runs way hot at 4.5 and crashes at 4.6Ghz! But if you want to go that fast- a big ass cpu fan should not be a question. lol.

I bought my 6970 about 6 months before I built my latest rig and my only regret is that it isn't PCIE 3.0. I didn't see any 560ti that were PCIE3.0, but that is something to keep in mind about your mobo and vid card. They're going to be backwards compatible, but to get your best performance- I'd try and get both at 3.0. NOTE: The ASUS above is a PCIE 2.0 mobo.

Man, good luck w/ your choices and keep us posted!

4.3 on the stock cooler? what are the temps under load?

also, for the budget of card we are aiming for, I can't see how a PCIE 3 card or motherboard will help in any way. if you are thinking of upgrading the GPU a few years down the line (when the extra bandwidth is actually useful) the rest of the PC will be underpowered, imagine putting a nice new 680 on a PC with a phenom X4 9950 and 3GB RAM nowadays, it just doesn't make sense!
I'd say just go for a PCIE2 board. you won't loose any performance and you'll save some money.
m
l
May 13, 2012 8:14:58 AM

So,how could affect the change of a cheaper CPU and buy a better GPU for games?Will this be better?
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:13:33 PM

Oh,btw,i forgot to mention that the card is going to be Palit GTX 560 Ti .Is that a bad choice?
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:25:16 PM

Well personally I'd go for a weaker CPU and a stronger GPU, as 99% of games atm are limited by the GPU. I have the same setup (i5 2500k and 560 ti) and the GPU is the bottleneck in all of my games. I wish I'd got a cheaper CPU and mobo and stronger graphics card.

the palit doesnt seem to be a bad choice, is it 1 or 2GB, and 1 or 2 fans?
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:44:21 PM

jwk3 said:
Well personally I'd go for a weaker CPU and a stronger GPU, as 99% of games atm are limited by the GPU. I have the same setup (i5 2500k and 560 ti) and the GPU is the bottleneck in all of my games. I wish I'd got a cheaper CPU and mobo and stronger graphics card.

the palit doesnt seem to be a bad choice, is it 1 or 2GB, and 1 or 2 fans?

So the GPU is 1GB and 2 fans :) 
So for the question about the CPU and GPU :
Can you do a suggestion what CPU should i buy and what GPU ? My budget is around 900 $..
m
l
!