DOS printing

I have a client who uses an old DOS application which
doesn't print, nothing happens, no error, it just doesn't
print. So I tried printing a Wordpad document to a file
and copying it to the printer, nothing. Tried going to
the command prompt and using "edit" to create and print a
text file, nothing.

Any ideas ??
6 answers Last reply
More about printing

    Dave McDuell,

    > Any ideas ??

    Maybe it could be a Windows-only printer.
    In this case Printfil could help.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    I have same problem (I think) (below is my post from same
    day). The response I got was maybe my printer was
    a "Windows only" printer and to try a 3rd. party program
    called Printfil. Don't see why I should have to do this.
    I am just copying a prn file to lpt1 or using Edit program
    from command prompt to print a file.. Not a network
    printer, just lpt1. Not every XP computer does this.

    My post:
    I have a client who uses an old DOS application which
    doesn't print, nothing happens, no error, it just doesn't
    print. So I tried printing a Wordpad document to a file
    and copying it to the printer, nothing. Tried going to
    the command prompt and using "edit" to create and print a
    text file, nothing.

    Any ideas ??

    Here's my standard reply when I see messages relating to W2KSP3/4 and
    printing from DOS apps. It may apply to your situation.

    =================
    Did you perchance install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or 4? I've been
    hearing that Windows 2000 loses the ability to render plain text to the
    special printing mode (GDI) that Windows uses after SP3/4 is installed
    (especially SP4).

    You may soon be referenced to Bruce Sanderson's most excellent article
    describing the process to redirect LPT or PRN output to a shared printer
    (regardless how it is connected). His article explains better the same
    concepts you may have researched in MS Knowledgebase articles.
    Sanderson's article is fine as far as it goes.

    I'm assuming that you know for a fact whether or not your printer is
    what are coming to be known as "Win-Printers," as brain-dead as are "Win-
    Modems." (With a few exceptions, printers that connect only by USB are
    "Win-Printers." If the printer box does NOT say "Supported operating
    systems: DOS", then probably you have a Win-Printer.) Win-printers cannot
    accept plain text ASCII.

    Regarding the matter of using the (supposedly) simple method of sending
    what would probably be plain-text (ASCII) directly to the LPT port. I've
    been told that the command-line applets Copy, Print, and the redirector
    function have been converted to 32-bit models and hook into Windows' GDI
    functions. That means you can't get away from the "I can't print from a
    DOS window" scenario in the above operating systems. Not even booting to
    DOS will work because you need those GDI functions to print to a Win-
    Printer.

    Note - Win98 will re-render plain ASCII text into a form required by the
    regular Windows print subsystem. However, If you are running Win2K or XP,
    those operating systems are unwilling to re-render ASCII output to the
    inate methodologies of the printing subsystem. In other words, unless the
    printer can understand a plain text data stream, you will need a utility
    to give Windows what it needs.

    If they are *not* Win-Printers, then we can look elsewhere.

    If they are Win-Printers, and such as I mentioned before, Win2K(SP3+) and
    WinXP will require a small, neat, and inexpensive utility to capture the
    ASCII output and present it in a form compatible to the operating
    system's print subsystem. I recommend DOSPrn <http://www.dosprn.com>.
    There are others.
    ========================

    Brian Smither
    Smither Consulting

    --
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Dave McDuell,

    > The response I got was maybe my printer was
    > a "Windows only" printer and to try a 3rd. party program
    > called Printfil. Don't see why I should have to do this.
    > I am just copying a prn file to lpt1 or using Edit program
    > from command prompt to print a file..

    if you printer is a Windows-only one, you have no chance to have your DOS
    jobs printed simply sending them to the LPT port, because the printer NEEDS
    to have an input stream created by the Windows driver.
    This is why I suggested you to try Printfil.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    How can I determine if it is a Windows only printer ??

    Dave McDuell,

    > How can I determine if it is a Windows only printer ??

    Look at the printer's manual. If neither DOS, nor Unix/Linux is mentioned as
    "Supported OS", then you probably have a Windows-only printer.

    If sending an ascii stream to the printer using "COPY filename.txt LPT1:"
    nothing happens, while sending it with Printfil (a 32 bit utility which uses
    the Windows driver) you obtain your job printed, then you probably have a
    Windows-only printer.

    More and more printers nowadays are Win-only.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

DOS Microsoft Windows XP