Faxing from XP home

Prior to wide band I had a fax machine/answerphone but the sound quality was not very good. This is important to us as many of our voicemails are in a foriegn language and clarity is important. We then tried WinFax pro but they discontinued their voicemail software.
I tried many different fax/voicemail progs but either I had voice clarity problems or the fax/voicemail answering got messed up.
I now resort to using the voicemail provided by the telephone company.
I have a fax modem for faxing but if I set the answer rings too low it cuts in on voice calls before the phone co. voicemail has a chance and vice versa.
Questions: Can you fax via the Broadband in winXP home? Failing that does anyone know of a good fax/voicemail package that is xp compatible and will work with a US Robotics 56k Message modem? Is there a prolem leaving your fax modem connected? I have heard stories of a bug that redirects you to expensive dial up connections via the modem.
Many thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about faxing home

    No fax software can use broadband. Fax requires phone lines.
    You would need to hire an Internet Fax Service.
    Several are listed here: http://www.savetz.com/fax/

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Peebs" <Peebs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Prior to wide band I had a fax machine/answerphone but the sound quality
    was not very good. This is important to us as many of our voicemails are in
    a foriegn language and clarity is important. We then tried WinFax pro but
    they discontinued their voicemail software.
    > I tried many different fax/voicemail progs but either I had voice clarity
    problems or the fax/voicemail answering got messed up.
    > I now resort to using the voicemail provided by the telephone company.
    > I have a fax modem for faxing but if I set the answer rings too low it
    cuts in on voice calls before the phone co. voicemail has a chance and vice
    versa.
    > Questions: Can you fax via the Broadband in winXP home? Failing that does
    anyone know of a good fax/voicemail package that is xp compatible and will
    work with a US Robotics 56k Message modem? Is there a prolem leaving your
    fax modem connected? I have heard stories of a bug that redirects you to
    expensive dial up connections via the modem.
    > Many thanks

    Thanks Russ, I don't do enough faxing to hire anything. I will just have to keep looking for a good fax/voicemail prog.

    Peebs wrote:
    > Thanks Russ, I don't do enough faxing to hire anything. I will just
    > have to keep looking for a good fax/voicemail prog.

    Well then you'll be searching forever as, if you'd bothered to read what
    Russ said, you'd have learnt that faxing requires a phone line and an
    analogue modem. The only way to fax via DSL/cable/satellite is to hire an
    online faxing service. You don't dial a number when you connect to the
    internet, do you? Then how do you suppose the fax data is going to be
    transmitted?!

    Thanks for your interest.
    As I said, I do have a fax modem and have tried various fax/voicemail s/ware progs looking for audio quality. What I was not familiar with was faxing on Broad band. Now, thanks to Russ, I know the limitations of BB faxing and will resume my search for a prog that works with my USB fax modem. I did read, and understand Russ's reply for which I was very grateful.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > Peebs wrote:
    > > Thanks Russ, I don't do enough faxing to hire anything. I will just
    > > have to keep looking for a good fax/voicemail prog.
    >
    > Well then you'll be searching forever as, if you'd bothered to read what
    > Russ said, you'd have learnt that faxing requires a phone line and an
    > analogue modem. The only way to fax via DSL/cable/satellite is to hire an
    > online faxing service. You don't dial a number when you connect to the
    > internet, do you? Then how do you suppose the fax data is going to be
    > transmitted?!

    Well Miss Perspicacia. Why don't you join the club and aproach your Broadband
    server requesting them to supply a pay-as-you-use addition to their services.
    All they need to do is supply a phone number with a code for send and receive
    use by broadband customers

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > Peebs wrote:
    > > Thanks Russ, I don't do enough faxing to hire anything. I will just
    > > have to keep looking for a good fax/voicemail prog.
    >
    > Well then you'll be searching forever as, if you'd bothered to read what
    > Russ said, you'd have learnt that faxing requires a phone line and an
    > analogue modem. The only way to fax via DSL/cable/satellite is to hire an
    > online faxing service. You don't dial a number when you connect to the
    > internet, do you? Then how do you suppose the fax data is going to be
    > transmitted?!

Fax Modem Windows XP