New Cooling Method

G

Everybody know that by leaving one side of the case open, the CPU and motherboard temperature drop. In my case 9 degrees. Come to think of it, why didn't anybody suggest cooling a CPU by leaving one side open instead of install a black-label Delta? After all, install a Delta may lower CPU temperature by 5 degrees or more when comparing with other fans. And leaving a side open can do the same trick without the noise. Delta is driving me crazy.

***Warning: Leaving a side open doesn't mean that you can run your computer without a Heatsink & Fan***

G

I think you're not supposed to leave a side of your case open because of all the dust that will enter your system making it hotter.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Some do, however:

As mentioned above, dust gets in the case. So does everything else - not good if you have pets or children.

Can be more noisy. HDDs and fans can get quieter with the case side on.

Dropping a cup of coffee next to a pc with the caase on is one thing - what do you think happens to a PC with the side off?

My wife and I hate things to be messy - we'd rather it neat and noisy than messy and quieter.

Large fans generate quite a lot of airflow all around the pc. I don't like getting cold feet or legs.

Enough??!?!?

For some, it is a good suggestion - I've done it myself on occasions too.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Personally, if I take the side of my case off, my cpu temp will rise about 10F. Of course, I do have a 235cfm Comair Rotron Patriot AC mounted in the side of my case... I guess that's the exception to this rule...

Do yourself a favor, work on your cooling system and close the case up! I do recommend people do this when they have a cooling emergency, such as a new system that runs too hot. But I also tell them to plan their cooling system and buy the fans to get it right and close the case up asap...

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Just a little point - can you respond to the person you are talking to? Otherwise they'll never get a notification about you posting, but the person you do respond to does - (if they are configured for it!)

Cheers!

Pete.

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i think you shouldn't let your case open, coz it's dangerouse if things go into your case.
i suggest that you could make a hole in one side of your case, and add up a fitable fan, this could make your system's temperature decreases also.

:)

G

Hehe, woops! I always have the email notification thingy turned off... My little old 15" monitor usually just barely shows the next post up with the reply buton. They really should put a generic reply button at the bottom, it's a pain in the ars to have to scroll back up to the original post everytime I reply... I'll be sure to avoid your reply button from now on as I know you have notification turned on...

G

I just installed two box fans on the side of my case. one in and one out. Do you think its ok? I have a 230W Power supply. Will it take the extra load? Noting that i have 2 fans on my P3 CPU.

G

Loading up a psu is kind of hit or miss... If everything runs good, I'd say don't worry about it. I'd rather have better cooling than un-used voltage...

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Dust?? Unless you guys put a filter on the side pnl fans, you're gonna getdust anyway. That's why I use a aero-duster
in my machines once every couple weeks.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
erm - what side panel fans?

Most cases don't have them, unless it is a serious oc case, in which case you have to go to greater lengths as a trade off.

My intake fans all have filters on them. Less effetive, but I see what I scrape off the intakes every week or so. I'm glad I don't have ot get it iff my components...