Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

We have a XP Professional server with 5 PCs connected to it. The fax console works great for an indiviual, but I want to set up the server:

- To share a common address book with Fax contacts, so that each of the 5 PCs can fax from their desktops without creating an asynchronous contacts

- To allow the server's fax console to be viewed and accessed by the 5 PCs

I don't want a lot of overhead, so I don't want to get WinFax if I could avoid it. It seems like the XP development team would have thought about this function, since XP Professional is for the enterprise market.

Fax sharing is not supported on XP. You would need to either use Windows
Small Business Server 2000, 2003 or a full Windows Server operating system
such as Windows Server 2003.
www.coribright.com

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a XP Professional server with 5 PCs connected to it. The fax
> console works great for an indiviual, but I want to set up the server:
>
> - To share a common address book with Fax contacts, so that each of the 5
> PCs can fax from their desktops without creating an asynchronous contacts
>
> - To allow the server's fax console to be viewed and accessed by the 5 PCs
>
> I don't want a lot of overhead, so I don't want to get WinFax if I could
> avoid it. It seems like the XP development team would have thought about
> this function, since XP Professional is for the enterprise market.

I think that it would be more strictly correct to state that: "Fax
sharing is not supported by the bundled XP Fax Application". There are
a number of third party applications which run on XP and support
various levels of Fax sharing. The OP could simply do a Google search
on "fax server XP" to come up with a number of possibilities. He
mentions Winfax, which would, I think, do what he wants, but would
cost him a full license for each machine and also has a number of
other negative aspects.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:02:36 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
<Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>Fax sharing is not supported on XP. You would need to either use Windows
>Small Business Server 2000, 2003 or a full Windows Server operating system
>such as Windows Server 2003.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher