Fax server on XP

We have a XP Professional server with 5 PCs connected to it. The fax console works great for an indiviual, but I want to set up the server:

- To share a common address book with Fax contacts, so that each of the 5 PCs can fax from their desktops without creating an asynchronous contacts

- To allow the server's fax console to be viewed and accessed by the 5 PCs

I don't want a lot of overhead, so I don't want to get WinFax if I could avoid it. It seems like the XP development team would have thought about this function, since XP Professional is for the enterprise market.
2 answers Last reply
More about server

    Fax sharing is not supported on XP. You would need to either use Windows
    Small Business Server 2000, 2003 or a full Windows Server operating system
    such as Windows Server 2003.
    www.coribright.com

    "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a XP Professional server with 5 PCs connected to it. The fax
    > console works great for an indiviual, but I want to set up the server:
    >
    > - To share a common address book with Fax contacts, so that each of the 5
    > PCs can fax from their desktops without creating an asynchronous contacts
    >
    > - To allow the server's fax console to be viewed and accessed by the 5 PCs
    >
    > I don't want a lot of overhead, so I don't want to get WinFax if I could
    > avoid it. It seems like the XP development team would have thought about
    > this function, since XP Professional is for the enterprise market.

    I think that it would be more strictly correct to state that: "Fax
    sharing is not supported by the bundled XP Fax Application". There are
    a number of third party applications which run on XP and support
    various levels of Fax sharing. The OP could simply do a Google search
    on "fax server XP" to come up with a number of possibilities. He
    mentions Winfax, which would, I think, do what he wants, but would
    cost him a full license for each machine and also has a number of
    other negative aspects.

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:02:36 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

    >Fax sharing is not supported on XP. You would need to either use Windows
    >Small Business Server 2000, 2003 or a full Windows Server operating system
    >such as Windows Server 2003.

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

Fax Windows XP Servers