kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Hey everyone. I'm having a little issue. I've been reading through the fourm alot, and I keep seeing everyone having temperatures in the low to mid 40's. Well, while I get those temps easily when the ambient room temp is low, say 27C, when the temp is high, it can go up to 50 or 51 under load. Do others seem this same type of situation when ambient temps are higher? And is it gonna hurt my processor to run it at about 47 idle and 50 under load about 1/3 of the time? I should note that it is an overclocked AXIA 1200C at 1.466, 1.85 core voltage. Thanks.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think your cpu temps are fine - don't worry.

Not PC related, but I do worry though if you think 27 degrees is a low room temperature? Where do you live? I'm down to shorts and a tee shirt at anything over 24...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
I live in southern california. Summer temps here reach well into the 100's, so the 80's is a walk in the park =) But with our current power situation, I can't exactly afford to run the a/c all the time. Power bills are through the roof. So I try to wait till a little later in the day when I get home to turn on the a/c. But when I say ambient temp, I wasn't referring to room temp. I was referring to mobo temp. I should have specified that. Right now my mobo temp is 28 and my cpu temp is 44. Is 16c above mobo temp for the CPU pretty decent?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Considering your situation, they are okay! I personally feel the 50 or below for CPU is good, as long as it is stable...

Don't feel bad about power costs - I doub't your electricity bills top my Tokyo ones yet!!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
My room temperature has just gone up to 25C (beginning of British Summer), this has resulted in my motherboard temp reaching 28C and cpu temp 45C (lightly loaded 1.2Ghz Athlon, not Ocd,)

AMD Cooling guidelines are:

T1 = external ambient temp. (Room temp near case inlet)

T2 = internal local ambient temp (in case, 0.5 to 1.0 inch away from processor fan)

They recommend T2 does not exceed 40C

& state that:

delta T = T2 - T1

and to ensure proper cooling case airflow should be sufficient to maintain
delta T < 8C.

i.e temp 0.5 to 1.0 inch away from processor fan should be not more than 7C above room temp.

I think a cpu temp below 50C is o.k.

By the way AMD state that for Socket A Athlon processors above 1100Mhz the absolute max die temp is 95C

G

You guys are making me feel better!! My temps are to at 45 idle on my athlon axia 1.0 @ 1.2ghz. My mb temps are also higher at 28 or 29 degrees. So i guess in these warmer days there is nothing you can do. it just makes me mad when people say there temps are to high when they are 41 at full load. My processor is 100% rock solid no matter how hot my room but OUr processors will still last a few years...wont they??