How to get printer to communicate

a b α HP
June 20, 2004 1:04:18 PM

I have just upgraded to Windows XP. I have a HP Deskjet 842c. Since I have updated I can not get my printer to work at all. Can someone please help!

More about : printer communicate

Anonymous
a b α HP
June 20, 2004 4:22:55 PM

If you kept the printer connected during the upgrade you first need to
UNINSTALL it.....

Follow the instructions at
Cari
www.coribright.com

"MollyJ1230" <MollyJ1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded to Windows XP. I have a HP Deskjet 842c. Since I have
>updated I can not get my printer to work at all. Can someone please help!
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 20, 2004 9:45:56 PM

If you are using a USB connection, the printer should automatically be
detected and installed when you switch it on/plug it in, though you
should preferably get and install the latest drivers from HP's
website. If you are using a parallel connection, you may _need_ the
latest XP drivers to install the printer. In that case, you should
also make sure that the BIOS and Device Manager agree on what type of
parallel port is being provided - my recommendation would be to set
the BIOS to EPP rather than ECP, if there is a choice - Device Manager
should detect the correct type.

Otherwise use a methodical trouble-shooting sequence: make sure that
the printer's self-test works, and that it and the cable you are using
work on another computer/printer and try installing another printer on
the same port on your computer (if possible). If you are using USB,
make sure that Device Manager shows that the USB controller is present
and functioning. If possible, try another USB device on the port you
are using for the printer

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:04:18 -0700, "MollyJ1230"
<MollyJ1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just upgraded to Windows XP. I have a HP Deskjet 842c. Since I have updated I can not get my printer to work at all. Can someone please help!

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

a b α HP
June 20, 2004 10:30:35 PM

The clue was in her original posting, the word 'upgrade'. By keeping the
printer connected during the upgrade, the old 9x drivers become corrupted.
They must first be uninstalled before they can be reinstalled, and that
includes removing them from Server Properties or XP win simply try
reinstalling the corrupted drivers.

Of course the correct procedure would have been to disconnect the printer
BEFORE the upgrade took place, but it's a little late for that!
www.coribright.com

"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
> If you are using a USB connection, the printer should automatically be
> detected and installed when you switch it on/plug it in, though you
> should preferably get and install the latest drivers from HP's
> website. If you are using a parallel connection, you may _need_ the
> latest XP drivers to install the printer. In that case, you should
> also make sure that the BIOS and Device Manager agree on what type of
> parallel port is being provided - my recommendation would be to set
> the BIOS to EPP rather than ECP, if there is a choice - Device Manager
> should detect the correct type.
>
> Otherwise use a methodical trouble-shooting sequence: make sure that
> the printer's self-test works, and that it and the cable you are using
> work on another computer/printer and try installing another printer on
> the same port on your computer (if possible). If you are using USB,
> make sure that Device Manager shows that the USB controller is present
> and functioning. If possible, try another USB device on the port you
> are using for the printer

Anonymous
a b α HP
June 21, 2004 11:19:21 AM

I saw the word "upgrade", too, but you are making a huge number of
assumptions - how she upgraded, the OS she upgraded from, that she
left the printer connected (to a USB port) and turned on during the
upgrade. All your assumptions may, in fact, be correct, in which case
your conclusion probably is, too. If they aren't, however, a
methodical troubleshooting approach is more likely to lead to a
solution, or at least with a more specific description of the problem.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:30:35 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
<Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>The clue was in her original posting, the word 'upgrade'. By keeping the
>printer connected during the upgrade, the old 9x drivers become corrupted.
>They must first be uninstalled before they can be reinstalled, and that
>includes removing them from Server Properties or XP win simply try
>reinstalling the corrupted drivers.
>
>Of course the correct procedure would have been to disconnect the printer
>BEFORE the upgrade took place, but it's a little late for that!

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

a b α HP
June 22, 2004 12:49:39 AM

Her assumptions are from experience. A huge amount of experience. And the
general basic consumer will most of the time NOT unplug a printer when
upgrading the OS unless they know. Besides it's easier to do the correct
uninstall/reinstall than to do the "methodical troubleshooting approach".

> I saw the word "upgrade", too, but you are making a huge number of
> assumptions - how she upgraded, the OS she upgraded from, that she
> left the printer connected (to a USB port) and turned on during the
> upgrade. All your assumptions may, in fact, be correct, in which case
> your conclusion probably is, too. If they aren't, however, a
> methodical troubleshooting approach is more likely to lead to a
> solution, or at least with a more specific description of the problem.
>
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:30:35 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
> <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
>
> >The clue was in her original posting, the word 'upgrade'. By keeping the
> >printer connected during the upgrade, the old 9x drivers become
corrupted.
> >They must first be uninstalled before they can be reinstalled, and that
> >includes removing them from Server Properties or XP win simply try
> >reinstalling the corrupted drivers.
> >
> >Of course the correct procedure would have been to disconnect the printer
> >BEFORE the upgrade took place, but it's a little late for that!
>

> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
exchange.
> Peter R. Fletcher

News==----
Newsgroups