How to get printer to communicate

I have just upgraded to Windows XP. I have a HP Deskjet 842c. Since I have updated I can not get my printer to work at all. Can someone please help!
5 answers Last reply
More about printer communicate

    If you kept the printer connected during the upgrade you first need to
    UNINSTALL it.....

    Follow the instructions at
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "MollyJ1230" <MollyJ1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just upgraded to Windows XP. I have a HP Deskjet 842c. Since I have
    >updated I can not get my printer to work at all. Can someone please help!

    If you are using a USB connection, the printer should automatically be
    detected and installed when you switch it on/plug it in, though you
    should preferably get and install the latest drivers from HP's
    website. If you are using a parallel connection, you may _need_ the
    latest XP drivers to install the printer. In that case, you should
    also make sure that the BIOS and Device Manager agree on what type of
    parallel port is being provided - my recommendation would be to set
    the BIOS to EPP rather than ECP, if there is a choice - Device Manager
    should detect the correct type.

    Otherwise use a methodical trouble-shooting sequence: make sure that
    the printer's self-test works, and that it and the cable you are using
    work on another computer/printer and try installing another printer on
    the same port on your computer (if possible). If you are using USB,
    make sure that Device Manager shows that the USB controller is present
    and functioning. If possible, try another USB device on the port you
    are using for the printer

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:04:18 -0700, "MollyJ1230"
    <MollyJ1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have just upgraded to Windows XP. I have a HP Deskjet 842c. Since I have updated I can not get my printer to work at all. Can someone please help!

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    The clue was in her original posting, the word 'upgrade'. By keeping the
    printer connected during the upgrade, the old 9x drivers become corrupted.
    They must first be uninstalled before they can be reinstalled, and that
    includes removing them from Server Properties or XP win simply try
    reinstalling the corrupted drivers.

    Of course the correct procedure would have been to disconnect the printer
    BEFORE the upgrade took place, but it's a little late for that!
    www.coribright.com

    "Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    > If you are using a USB connection, the printer should automatically be
    > detected and installed when you switch it on/plug it in, though you
    > should preferably get and install the latest drivers from HP's
    > website. If you are using a parallel connection, you may _need_ the
    > latest XP drivers to install the printer. In that case, you should
    > also make sure that the BIOS and Device Manager agree on what type of
    > parallel port is being provided - my recommendation would be to set
    > the BIOS to EPP rather than ECP, if there is a choice - Device Manager
    > should detect the correct type.
    >
    > Otherwise use a methodical trouble-shooting sequence: make sure that
    > the printer's self-test works, and that it and the cable you are using
    > work on another computer/printer and try installing another printer on
    > the same port on your computer (if possible). If you are using USB,
    > make sure that Device Manager shows that the USB controller is present
    > and functioning. If possible, try another USB device on the port you
    > are using for the printer

    I saw the word "upgrade", too, but you are making a huge number of
    assumptions - how she upgraded, the OS she upgraded from, that she
    left the printer connected (to a USB port) and turned on during the
    upgrade. All your assumptions may, in fact, be correct, in which case
    your conclusion probably is, too. If they aren't, however, a
    methodical troubleshooting approach is more likely to lead to a
    solution, or at least with a more specific description of the problem.

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:30:35 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

    >The clue was in her original posting, the word 'upgrade'. By keeping the
    >printer connected during the upgrade, the old 9x drivers become corrupted.
    >They must first be uninstalled before they can be reinstalled, and that
    >includes removing them from Server Properties or XP win simply try
    >reinstalling the corrupted drivers.
    >
    >Of course the correct procedure would have been to disconnect the printer
    >BEFORE the upgrade took place, but it's a little late for that!

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    Her assumptions are from experience. A huge amount of experience. And the
    general basic consumer will most of the time NOT unplug a printer when
    upgrading the OS unless they know. Besides it's easier to do the correct
    uninstall/reinstall than to do the "methodical troubleshooting approach".

    > I saw the word "upgrade", too, but you are making a huge number of
    > assumptions - how she upgraded, the OS she upgraded from, that she
    > left the printer connected (to a USB port) and turned on during the
    > upgrade. All your assumptions may, in fact, be correct, in which case
    > your conclusion probably is, too. If they aren't, however, a
    > methodical troubleshooting approach is more likely to lead to a
    > solution, or at least with a more specific description of the problem.
    >
    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:30:35 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    > <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The clue was in her original posting, the word 'upgrade'. By keeping the
    > >printer connected during the upgrade, the old 9x drivers become
    corrupted.
    > >They must first be uninstalled before they can be reinstalled, and that
    > >includes removing them from Server Properties or XP win simply try
    > >reinstalling the corrupted drivers.
    > >
    > >Of course the correct procedure would have been to disconnect the printer
    > >BEFORE the upgrade took place, but it's a little late for that!
    >

    > Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    exchange.
    > Peter R. Fletcher

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =---

Hewlett Packard Microsoft Printers Windows XP