Microsoft fax and DSL

June 21, 2004 12:45:02 PM

I have just changed from dial-up to DSL. I was told by
SBC that my fax could work on the new DSL connection but
nobody seems to be able to tell me how to configure the
set-up. Do you have a suggestion?

Martin

More about : microsoft fax dsl

June 22, 2004 1:22:41 AM

"MartinL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> je napisal v sporocilo
news:1f4ee01c457a6$b70e93b0$a501280a@phx.gbl ...
> I have just changed from dial-up to DSL. I was told by
> SBC that my fax could work on the new DSL connection but
> nobody seems to be able to tell me how to configure the
> set-up. Do you have a suggestion?
>
> Martin

You must have filter behind DSL for connection dial-up modem.
This must make that who makes DSL connection (your provider).
advo@siol.net
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:51:09 AM

MartinL wrote:
> I have just changed from dial-up to DSL. I was told by
> SBC that my fax could work on the new DSL connection but
> nobody seems to be able to tell me how to configure the
> set-up. Do you have a suggestion?
>
> Martin

Unless you still have your old 56k modem, you cannot. Faxing requires a
telephone line, and a method of carrying a fax pulse. As broadband doesn't
use the phone line directly (hence you can still use the phone whilst
online) you cannot use it to fax. You need to hook up your old 56k and
connect it to the other side of the broadband filter.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:51:10 AM

Thank you both for answering my inquiry. In the meantime,
I put on my thinking cap and deduced that an ordinary
telephone splitter most likely will resolve my problem.
For added convenience I have decided on one with a
switch, thus enabling me to use the fax when necessary by
simply flipping the switch. Please note, however, that
the splitter needs to be installed in the phone
connection on the equipment side of the filter.

Martin L.

!