  • Fax
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 21, 2004 8:30:33 PM

I have an asnwering machine on my telephone that answers calls on the 4th
ring.
I'm trying to get my Windows XP fax to answer incoming fax calls but it
seems I have to be here to see the fax coming in.
If I set it to receive after two rings, it anwsers ALL calls after two rings
whether they are fax or not and the person making the call just hears the
irritating fax beeps.

How can I get this system to determine the difference between voice calls
and fax calls?
90% of my calls are voice calls but my fax number is the same number and I'd
like to have it determine a fax call from a voice call and answer my faxes
automatically while I'm away from my desk.

Am I overlooking something very simple and obvious?

Thanks,
Phil

More about : setting recieve fax

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 8:47:01 PM

I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my phone line
is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No problem
sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here waiting for
it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".

Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?

I seem to be missing something very basic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
P.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 1:00:26 AM

Win XP Fax is just a basic fax program and cannot distinguish voice from
fax.

"pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my phone
line
> is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No problem
> sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here waiting
for
> it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".
>
> Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?
>
> I seem to be missing something very basic.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> P.

June 22, 2004 3:02:06 PM

Can you suggest a better software program that can distinguish faxes from
regular calls?
I'd sure appreciate any advice.
I had Megaphone on my old system but I'm sure it won't work with XP and it
wasn't that great a program anyway.
What's a good fax software program?

Thanks,
Phil

"Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Win XP Fax is just a basic fax program and cannot distinguish voice from
> fax.
>

> "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my phone
> line
> > is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No problem
> > sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here waiting
> for
> > it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".
> >
> > Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?
> >
> > I seem to be missing something very basic.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > P.

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:12:21 AM

These third party hardware devices can provide a work-around to the lack of
Distinctive Ring support:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/products.html