Need help setting up to recieve fax

I have an asnwering machine on my telephone that answers calls on the 4th
ring.
I'm trying to get my Windows XP fax to answer incoming fax calls but it
seems I have to be here to see the fax coming in.
If I set it to receive after two rings, it anwsers ALL calls after two rings
whether they are fax or not and the person making the call just hears the
irritating fax beeps.

How can I get this system to determine the difference between voice calls
and fax calls?
90% of my calls are voice calls but my fax number is the same number and I'd
like to have it determine a fax call from a voice call and answer my faxes
automatically while I'm away from my desk.

Am I overlooking something very simple and obvious?

Thanks,
Phil
4 answers Last reply
More about need setting recieve

    I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my phone line
    is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No problem
    sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here waiting for
    it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".

    Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?

    I seem to be missing something very basic.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    P.

    Win XP Fax is just a basic fax program and cannot distinguish voice from
    fax.

    "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my phone
    line
    > is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No problem
    > sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here waiting
    for
    > it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".
    >
    > Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?
    >
    > I seem to be missing something very basic.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > P.

    Can you suggest a better software program that can distinguish faxes from
    regular calls?
    I'd sure appreciate any advice.
    I had Megaphone on my old system but I'm sure it won't work with XP and it
    wasn't that great a program anyway.
    What's a good fax software program?

    Thanks,
    Phil

    "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Win XP Fax is just a basic fax program and cannot distinguish voice from
    > fax.
    >

    > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my phone
    > line
    > > is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No problem
    > > sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here waiting
    > for
    > > it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".
    > >
    > > Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?
    > >
    > > I seem to be missing something very basic.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > P.

    These third party hardware devices can provide a work-around to the lack of
    Distinctive Ring support:

    http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
    Emerson Switchboard
    http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
    ComSwitch®

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    > Can you suggest a better software program that can distinguish faxes from
    > regular calls?
    > I'd sure appreciate any advice.
    > I had Megaphone on my old system but I'm sure it won't work with XP and it
    > wasn't that great a program anyway.
    > What's a good fax software program?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phil
    >
    > "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Win XP Fax is just a basic fax program and cannot distinguish voice from
    > > fax.
    > >

    > > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I suppose I should mention my Internet connection is cable but my
    phone
    > > line
    > > > is connected to my computer for sending and receiving faxes. No
    problem
    > > > sending, but I can't receive them at all unless I'm sitting here
    waiting
    > > for
    > > > it. Then I can click "Yes, receive the fax".
    > > >
    > > > Why doesn't this distinguish regular voice calls from a fax call?
    > > >
    > > > I seem to be missing something very basic.
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > P.

Fax Microsoft Windows XP