Canon MultiPass F50 Problems

I have an F50 and have the latest XP Pro drivers from Canon. When trying to print, I rec. an error that the MPService is not running. I go to run it - and it tells me that there is already a printer assigned to that port. I have deleted the LPT port, the drivers (for both the port and the printer) and tried to Add/Remove software and although the software is listed on the Win XP screen, clicking the Add/Remove does nothing.
Any hints ?
7 answers Last reply
More about canon multipass problems

    Is there more than one set of printer drivers installed? In the Control
    Panel click on Printers and Faxes. From the Toolbar, Select Fite, Server
    Properties and then look in the Drivers tab.
    www.coribright.com

    "Chip Pacer" wrote:

    > I have an F50 and have the latest XP Pro drivers from Canon. When trying to print, I rec. an error that the MPService is not running. I go to run it - and it tells me that there is already a printer assigned to that port. I have deleted the LPT port, the drivers (for both the port and the printer) and tried to Add/Remove software and although the software is listed on the Win XP screen, clicking the Add/Remove does nothing.
    > Any hints ?

    After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 I have a very similar problem.
    I'm repeatedly asked to restart the MPService. It stays on for a few
    minutes and then stops. I tried to set up the services panel to restart the
    service by itself but that doesn't work. Any suggestions would be
    appreciated.

    Wizdad

    "Chip Pacer" wrote:

    > I have an F50 and have the latest XP Pro drivers from Canon. When trying to print, I rec. an error that the MPService is not running. I go to run it - and it tells me that there is already a printer assigned to that port. I have deleted the LPT port, the drivers (for both the port and the printer) and tried to Add/Remove software and although the software is listed on the Win XP screen, clicking the Add/Remove does nothing.
    > Any hints ?

    Remove SP2

    "Wizdad" <Wizdad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 I have a very similar problem.
    > I'm repeatedly asked to restart the MPService. It stays on for a few
    > minutes and then stops. I tried to set up the services panel to restart
    the
    > service by itself but that doesn't work. Any suggestions would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Wizdad
    >
    > "Chip Pacer" wrote:
    >
    > > I have an F50 and have the latest XP Pro drivers from Canon. When trying
    to print, I rec. an error that the MPService is not running. I go to run
    it - and it tells me that there is already a printer assigned to that port.
    I have deleted the LPT port, the drivers (for both the port and the printer)
    and tried to Add/Remove software and although the software is listed on the
    Win XP screen, clicking the Add/Remove does nothing.
    > > Any hints ?

    Yup I figured that out last night. It works if SP2 is removed.

    --
    hizzle

    Canon are apparently writing new drivers so check their website frequently
    or drop them an email to ask when they might be available. They are aware of
    the problem.
    www.coribright.com

    "hizzle" <hizzle.1b9oc4@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > Yup I figured that out last night. It works if SP2 is removed.
    >
    > Victor D. wrote:

    I had the same problem with a different model printer and this is Canon's
    reply:

    Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I am sorry to hear about the
    conflict you are experiencing between your MultiPASS and Windows XP SP
    (Service Pack) 2.

    Regrettably, we have just become aware of the conflict between Service Pack
    2 and some of our Multifunction products. I apologize for the inconvenience
    this causes; however, we are currently researching the issue and do not have
    a permanent fix at this time.

    Please note: If you are using a Dell computer, Dell recommends downloading
    the latest BIOS update from their website prior to downloading and
    installing Windows XP SP2. You may try installing this updated BIOS after
    Windows XP SP2 is installed or contact Dell directly to confirm the order in
    which the updates are installed. If you are not using a Dell computer,
    please visit your computer manufacturer's website for an update. If a
    computer update does not exist or if the update does not correct the issue,
    please disable Security Center in Computer Management window to resolve the
    issue.

    If you have a separate firewall program installed, disabling Security Center
    should not leave your computer at risk of intruders.

    To disable Security Center, please do the following:

    1. Click Start.

    2. Right-click on My Computer.

    3. Select Manage.

    4. Click the plus (+) next to Services and Applications.

    5. Select Services.

    6. Right-click Security Center and select Properties.

    7. In General tab of Security Center Properties window, click the Startup
    type drop-down and select Disable.

    8. Click Apply to accept the change and then click OK to close the window.

    9. Restart your computer.

    If you do not wish to disable Security Center, there is a work around that
    you can try as a temporary resolution until a permanent fix is released.
    Please try the following:

    1. Click OK to the Unable to log onto MultiPASS Server message.

    2. Click Start, right-click My Computer and select Manage.

    3. At the Computer Management window, double-click Services and
    Applications.

    4. Double-click Services on the right-hand pane.

    5. Right-click MPService and then select Start.

    6. Right-click on the MultiPASS Status Monitor and then select Reconnect.

    7. Close all open Windows and test the MultiPASS.

    NOTE: It will likely be necessary to restart the service periodically
    throughout your session. It will also need to be restarted each time your
    computer is restarted.

    The best suggestion I can provide at this time is to visit our website often
    for an update that resolves this issue. When an update for the MultiPASS is
    available, it will likely be found in the form of a downloadable file at
    www.usa.canon.com/consumer. Once at the website, please click on Download
    Library at the top, and then choose your product model from the available
    drop-down boxes.

    Again, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Please let us
    know if we can be of further assistance.

    Sincerely,

    Raymond

    Product Support Representative

    > "Chip Pacer" wrote:
    >
    > > I have an F50 and have the latest XP Pro drivers from Canon. When trying
    to print, I rec. an error that the MPService is not running. I go to run
    it - and it tells me that there is already a printer assigned to that port.
    I have deleted the LPT port, the drivers (for both the port and the printer)
    and tried to Add/Remove software and although the software is listed on the
    Win XP screen, clicking the Add/Remove does nothing.
    > > Any hints ?

Canon Windows XP