Duron 800 past 850

G

I have a Duron 800, L1's bridged, really well with conductive paint. Asus A7V133 MB, PC133 Ram, Thermaltake Super Orb cooler.
I can run it to 8.5 by 100 with a core voltage of 1.7v. If I increase the voltage past that It wont post. If I increase
the multiplier or the FSB past that it wont post, even when I drop the Ram speed back to 100, it wont let me run the FSB even at 101. When it fires up, I always get the message that it hung on previous boot due to incorrect CPU settings.
850 is tha max it will run, I even have a second Duron800 chip and it has the same problem. At 850, my CPU temp never gets past 40 and MB 30deg. Am I missing something?
I would appreciate any help, thanks.

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
i was in the same boat, except i am using the original cooler master HSF. the first duron i had(850) i couldn't get it to post above 933(133*7.0). after an attmpt at pushing it beyond that w/o raising the VCore i fried the mobo. but i wasn't sure so i got a second duron850 which of course didn't work. so i replaced the mobo. with the new duron and mobo i ave mine running at 1001mhz(143*7.0), with the VCore only up to 1.65, temps at 46C under full load. so my guess is that when your trying to o/c a duron its the luck of the draw. i wasn't so lucky my first time, but my luck has since changed.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

agpport

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
Are you changing FSB with the jumpers or BIOS? Try setting them using both. Also check if there´s a setting in BIOS for "CPU protection" or something. If so, disable it.

You shouldn´t have to up the voltage until somewhere around 900+.

Do you get the hung on previous boot due to blablabla in windows?

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
not trying to be rude just educate. the A7V will only let you set the FSB and multiplier w/either the BIOS or dip switches, not both. i say use the BIOS because it is very easy to get confused with the switches, plus if you screw up when setting the switches you could easily fry your processor because in the BIOS if it won't post because the settings were to high it will go into safe mode(RAM "pc-100," bus "100mhz," multiplier "original." once in the BIOS there is either user define or auto detect for the processor.

once again this was not intended to be rude in any way. just trying to help make sure everyone is properly informed.

G

I am changing the settings using the BIOS.
I read a good article over at anandtech.com about lowering the multiplier before upping the FSB. I dropped it down to 7.5 and it posted at 700. Kept going up to 900 with no problems. It seems to be stable at that speed but I can't push the core voltage past 1.6. It won't post, all I get is the hang on last boot due to CPU settings message. There is no mention of Windows.
Will check out the CPU protection thing, maybe I can get my voltage up. Any other ideas?

G

Maybe agpport meant one or the other, not both together, but I read in a forum where a guy got a better maximum core voltage setting using the dip switches instead of the BIOS, so I might try that. Can you do any damage to the power supply or MB by continuously going into safe mode in BIOS?
My brand new Aopen PS fried up pretty quickly. Lucky for warranty!

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
as far as i know it shouldn't do any damage. the reason for it booting into the safe mode is so that you don't acidentilly cause any problems by trying to push it to far.