The best perfomance and stability

Hitman

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I am pretty new at this ,so i hope anyone could help me to get it all right.I wan't both staility and maximum perfomance out of my two systems.

SYSTEM 1:
Intel P4 1.4
Asus P4T
Samsung ECC 800 128x4
Abit Hotrod 100 raid controller
Ibm 46,1 ata 100 7200rpm x 2
Cardexpert Geforce 2 ultra 64
Global win cooler
CLSB Platinum 5.1
Plextor PX-W124T scsi
Plextor PX-40TS scsi
Sevenstream 400w power supply.

SYSTEM 2:
Amd t-bird 1200\266
Microstar K7T-turbo raid
Apacer 256 pc 133 CL3 x 3
Global win cooler
Qantum Fireball 30Gb x 2
Asus Geforce 2 MX dvi
Onboard sound
Pioneer slot in DVD ROM scsi
Aopen 300w power supply

I hope i got it all,so now PLEASE!!!!! help a rookie with a big need for help.

Thanks.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Not sure what you are asking. If you want someone to comment on your specs... you dont say what OS, case, monitor or applications your will have either.

System 1 - no comment really as I am not interested in P4 systems right now, however I'd go with the faster 1.7 processor (I think they are only 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 anyway, not 1.4, but I may be wrong) simply because it looks like you are trying to build these systems to maximum performance.

System 1 - again, bear in mind you'll need a SCSI card for those Plextors.

System 1, are you using your disks in mirrored or striped mode on the raid controller? Just wondering.

System 2.

I would get CAS2/CL2 memory, not CL3. This will significantly increase the responce time and performance from the memory. Get good brand (Crucial, Mushkin, Infineon memory if you want to overclock your FSB beyond 133Mhz) It doesn't look like you are cash-strapped since you are buying 768Mb so...

Why select different HDDs for the two systems, they are both ATA100??? The IBMs are excellent performing drives.

Why a GeForce MX for System 2? If you are using it for graphics or gaming then you should really drop the memory and get a GeForce Ultra or similar if you cannot afford the more expensive card. The MX will totally throttle your system performance in 3D.

On board sound will be nothing to write home about, but functional.

So, what OS etc.?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Hitman

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I'm sorry it was a bad question!!
What i men't was:

These are my two machines ,and i wondered if someone could please help me with the correct\best performance\stability.
I was thinking about bios setup, generaly the hole setup if you will.
Maybe this sounds silly but i don't know any other way to ask.

Yes,i have Adaptech AIC7850 scsi card.
i'm using dual boot with Me and 2000,on both machines.

Don't you think Apacer is a good brand?

I will try to express my self better in the future...ok!!!

You better beware, cause Hitman is out there....

Hitman

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Thanks man. i got my P4 up and running just now,and with your info i got it right (i hope).
You understod a Rookie just right.

I'm so tired of the war Amd vs. Intel,so i worked my ass of to afford to put these two "boys" in the BOY ROOM.

After using the P4 for 4hours i have a very good impresion about it.

I've tried 1 benchmark ,3Dmark 2001, and got 4237 running Me and 1609MHz. I'm going to set the RAM to 4 x, because now it's just 3x115 and see the diffrence.My cpu temp is currently at 57c but i'm copying 25Gb with music from f: to d: is this much?They're working realy hard. The box is in a corner with little air.
Do i have a bad tower perhaps? Aopen HX08.

Just wondering............

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Glad to hear things are going good. 57 C is a little hot but still not too bad. I think at 62 C the thermal protection will kick in (someone correct me if I am wrong). What drivers are you using for your video card? What video card do you have? I recently put the nvidia 1210 drivers on and saw quite a performance increase in my 3DMark scores (about 15% increase). You should see a good increase in speed when you go from 3x to 4x on your ram also. If you just got the CPU, you may want to run it at 1.4 for a while so it can "burn in" before overclocking it. I am not sure this will make a difference or not, but better to be safe than sorry. Good luck

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One more thing is to disable the FPU opcode in the BIOS. I was reading on another board that this will also give you a good performance increase. I haven't done this yet, but plan to tonight.

Hitman

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Hi again!
i checked with Asus probe now,and the temp was 45c when finished copying.
I have Cardexpert 64mb Ultra 500, the best i've had so far.
Im also using 1210,but i have'nt tried anyone else on P4.

When i set the RAM at 4x, benchmark just falls out to desktop, in lobby high details.(to much speed on graphics card?over 510MHz.)
Have you done anything with dipswitches? Mine is set at default i think,all down.

Can i ask you about your benchmark with almost the same system????

I love gameing with "good" quality so please give lots of input to me .
Thanks....

G

I think at 62 C the thermal protection will kick in (someone correct me if I am wrong).
Thermal diode in the CPU is set for 70 c. There is another heat sensor configuration in motherboard bios that could be set differently.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

Hitman

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Im must just say thanks again!!!

I set the ram at 4x115,and got 4645 3Dmark 2001 points.

I'm running 12 10 drivers on P4 and 10 80 on Athlon.

My graphics card is Cardexpert Geforce 2 ultra 500.

I've had all the Athlon's,exept 1300 and up,never clocked them but still the same! Would it work today?

This "beast" seems to do just like i wan't it to.

Thumbs up for P4 and you too _stonerboy!!!!

Hitman

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Then i've got some degrees to go before it shuts down.

The P4 is new today, and i pushed it real hard at once,but it's much cooler now,so i hope it last for a while!!