XP Fax software ???

Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at the
computer or not?
The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the Fax or
else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice calls
and will work with XP?

Thanks,
Phil
12 answers Last reply
More about software

    pvc wrote:
    > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
    > call from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it
    > whether at the computer or not?
    > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
    > Fax or else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
    > Voice calls and will work with XP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phil

    Sorry, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with software. No NT based OS
    supports distinctive ring. You must either use a separate fax machine, or
    have your telco enable IdentiCall, or a similar service, on your line.

    > pvc wrote:
    > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
    > > call from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it
    > > whether at the computer or not?
    > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
    > > Fax or else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
    > > Voice calls and will work with XP?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Phil
    >
    > Sorry, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with software. No NT based OS
    > supports distinctive ring. You must either use a separate fax machine, or
    > have your telco enable IdentiCall, or a similar service, on your line.

    I see.
    I need a switch box or something similar I guess.

    Thanks

    > pvc wrote:
    > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
    > > call from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it
    > > whether at the computer or not?
    > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
    > > Fax or else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
    > > Voice calls and will work with XP?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Phil
    >
    > Sorry, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with software. No NT based OS
    > supports distinctive ring. You must either use a separate fax machine, or
    > have your telco enable IdentiCall, or a similar service, on your line.

    The short answer to your question, I am afraid, is "No", since there
    is no way for the computer to know if it is a Fax call without
    answering it and listening for fax tones vs data modem tones or voice.
    At that point, if it is a voice call, the computer cannot "Unanswer"
    it. There also appears to be no reliable support for "Distinctive
    Ring" under XP, so even getting this for a second "virtual line" will
    not help you.

    Various computer communication programs, paired with Voice modems,
    will allow you to set up what amounts to an advanced answering machine
    with fax (and data) recieving capability. The computer picks up all
    calls (you can set the number of rings, of course) and routes them to
    fax, data, or voice answer functions according to what they appear to
    be. That's about the best you can do, and if you pick up the phone
    before the computer does, and it is a fax call, all you can do is hang
    up and try not to pick up the phone when the fax machine retries.

    The only really satisfactory solution to receiving more than very
    occasional, expected, faxes really is either a second physical line or
    "Distinctive Ring" plus a hardware switch to direct calls on the fax
    number to the computer, with the latter set, in either case, to
    always pick up.

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:58:54 GMT, "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
    >from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at the
    >computer or not?
    >The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the Fax or
    >else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    >Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice calls
    >and will work with XP?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Phil

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    I just went through that situation and found an effective
    solution. First of all, it's a modem specification issue.
    This is what I did for my office......I made sure my
    modem can detect "Distinctive/Smart ring" (I am sure you
    heard about it), then I subscribed for a cost effective
    Distinctive ring# from my local phone company. Then,
    depending on your preference you can use your PC or a fax
    machine to pick up only the double/triple distinctive
    ring pattern to answer automatically on the first ring.
    Note, the fax machine also has to support the
    Distinctive/Smart ring. I would continue however, this
    might not be what your loooking for. Let me know.

    Lukas

    I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
    Ring problem:

    http://www.faxtalk.com/
    FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    www.pigeonline.com
    Pigeon Mail n Fax

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
    > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at the
    > computer or not?
    > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the Fax
    or
    > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
    calls
    > and will work with XP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phil

    Presumably, both require that the modem hardware supports distinctive
    ring detection.

    I have never understood why (as many people seem to imply) this
    functionality should require OS level support, but discussions about
    it, here and elsewher, always seem to generate more heat than light!

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:15:13 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]"
    <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote:

    >I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
    >Ring problem:
    >
    >http://www.faxtalk.com/
    >FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    >www.pigeonline.com
    >Pigeon Mail n Fax
    >
    >Hal

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi Hal,
    Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I can
    get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my desk.

    Thanks,
    Phil

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
    > Ring problem:
    >
    > http://www.faxtalk.com/
    > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    > www.pigeonline.com
    > Pigeon Mail n Fax
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
    > > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at
    the
    > > computer or not?
    > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
    Fax
    > or
    > > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
    > calls
    > > and will work with XP?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Phil

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Phil, he did tell you the names below his reply. Here they are again:
    http://www.faxtalk.com/
    FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    www.pigeonline.com
    Pigeon Mail n Fax

    > Hi Hal,
    > Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I can
    > get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my desk.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phil
    >
    > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
    > > Ring problem:
    > >
    > > http://www.faxtalk.com/
    > > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    > > www.pigeonline.com
    > > Pigeon Mail n Fax
    > >
    > > Hal
    > > --
    > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > >
    > > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
    call
    > > > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at
    > the
    > > > computer or not?
    > > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
    > Fax
    > > or
    > > > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
    > > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
    > > calls
    > > > and will work with XP?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Phil

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Does anyone know if this software supports DSL or do you have to have a regular phone line?
    Thanks

    "Victor D." wrote:

    > Phil, he did tell you the names below his reply. Here they are again:
    > http://www.faxtalk.com/
    > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    > www.pigeonline.com
    > Pigeon Mail n Fax
    >

    > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi Hal,
    > > Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I can
    > > get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my desk.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Phil
    > >
    > > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > > I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
    > > > Ring problem:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.faxtalk.com/
    > > > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    > > > www.pigeonline.com
    > > > Pigeon Mail n Fax
    > > >
    > > > Hal
    > > > --
    > > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > > >
    > > > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > call
    > > the
    > > Fax
    > > > or
    > > > calls

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You have to have a phone line that is analog and a fax voice analog modem.
    You can use DSL if you have the filters on the phone line connected to
    modem. You can get filters at Radio Shack or your DSL provider.

    "Pat C" <Pat C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if this software supports DSL or do you have to have a
    regular phone line?
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Victor D." wrote:
    >
    > > Phil, he did tell you the names below his reply. Here they are again:
    > > http://www.faxtalk.com/
    > > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    > > www.pigeonline.com
    > > Pigeon Mail n Fax
    > >

    > > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Hal,
    > > > Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I
    can
    > > > get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my
    desk.

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Phil
    > > >
    > > > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    Distinctive

    > > call
    > > > the
    > > > Fax
    Voice

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Pat C wrote:
    > Does anyone know if this software supports DSL or do you have to have
    > a regular phone line? Thanks

    *No* software supports DSL because you cannot fax over DSL, full stop.
    Faxing requires a phone line - it has nothing to do with software. How do
    you think the signal's going to travel - power of positive thought?! You
    don't dial a number to connect to the Internet, do you, so what makes you
    think you can dial a fax number and send data?

Windows XP Fax Computers Software