Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Fax software ???

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 5:58:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at the
computer or not?
The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the Fax or
else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice calls
and will work with XP?

Thanks,
Phil

More about : fax software

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 7:14:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

pvc wrote:
> Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
> call from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it
> whether at the computer or not?
> The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
> Fax or else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
> Voice calls and will work with XP?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Sorry, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with software. No NT based OS
supports distinctive ring. You must either use a separate fax machine, or
have your telco enable IdentiCall, or a similar service, on your line.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 7:16:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
news:o 9XBc.67$pP1.1@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> pvc wrote:
> > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
> > call from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it
> > whether at the computer or not?
> > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
> > Fax or else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
> > Voice calls and will work with XP?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
>
> Sorry, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with software. No NT based OS
> supports distinctive ring. You must either use a separate fax machine, or
> have your telco enable IdentiCall, or a similar service, on your line.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 7:18:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I see.
I need a switch box or something similar I guess.

Thanks



"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
news:o 9XBc.67$pP1.1@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> pvc wrote:
> > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
> > call from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it
> > whether at the computer or not?
> > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
> > Fax or else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
> > Voice calls and will work with XP?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
>
> Sorry, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with software. No NT based OS
> supports distinctive ring. You must either use a separate fax machine, or
> have your telco enable IdentiCall, or a similar service, on your line.
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 9:01:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

The short answer to your question, I am afraid, is "No", since there
is no way for the computer to know if it is a Fax call without
answering it and listening for fax tones vs data modem tones or voice.
At that point, if it is a voice call, the computer cannot "Unanswer"
it. There also appears to be no reliable support for "Distinctive
Ring" under XP, so even getting this for a second "virtual line" will
not help you.

Various computer communication programs, paired with Voice modems,
will allow you to set up what amounts to an advanced answering machine
with fax (and data) recieving capability. The computer picks up all
calls (you can set the number of rings, of course) and routes them to
fax, data, or voice answer functions according to what they appear to
be. That's about the best you can do, and if you pick up the phone
before the computer does, and it is a fax call, all you can do is hang
up and try not to pick up the phone when the fax machine retries.

The only really satisfactory solution to receiving more than very
occasional, expected, faxes really is either a second physical line or
"Distinctive Ring" plus a hardware switch to direct calls on the fax
number to the computer, with the latter set, in either case, to
always pick up.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:58:54 GMT, "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
>from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at the
>computer or not?
>The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the Fax or
>else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
>Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice calls
>and will work with XP?
>
>Thanks,
>Phil
>


Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
June 23, 2004 3:30:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>Is there any software available for XP that can
distinguish a voice call
>from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer
it whether at the
>computer or not?
>The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer
to receive the Fax or
>else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
>Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish
Fax from Voice calls
>and will work with XP?
>
>Thanks,
>Phil
>
>
>.
>Phil,

I just went through that situation and found an effective
solution. First of all, it's a modem specification issue.
This is what I did for my office......I made sure my
modem can detect "Distinctive/Smart ring" (I am sure you
heard about it), then I subscribed for a cost effective
Distinctive ring# from my local phone company. Then,
depending on your preference you can use your PC or a fax
machine to pick up only the double/triple distinctive
ring pattern to answer automatically on the first ring.
Note, the fax machine also has to support the
Distinctive/Smart ring. I would continue however, this
might not be what your loooking for. Let me know.

Lukas
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:15:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
Ring problem:

http://www.faxtalk.com/
FaxTalk Messenger Pro
www.pigeonline.com
Pigeon Mail n Fax

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:yWWBc.75666$Hg2.73952@attbi_s04...
> Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
> from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at the
> computer or not?
> The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the Fax
or
> else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
calls
> and will work with XP?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:56:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Presumably, both require that the modem hardware supports distinctive
ring detection.

I have never understood why (as many people seem to imply) this
functionality should require OS level support, but discussions about
it, here and elsewher, always seem to generate more heat than light!

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:15:13 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]"
<hhh@kvoa.com> wrote:

>I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
>Ring problem:
>
>http://www.faxtalk.com/
>FaxTalk Messenger Pro
>www.pigeonline.com
>Pigeon Mail n Fax
>
>Hal


Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Hal,
Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I can
get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my desk.

Thanks,
Phil

"Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
news:%23CxAaHaWEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
> Ring problem:
>
> http://www.faxtalk.com/
> FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> www.pigeonline.com
> Pigeon Mail n Fax
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:yWWBc.75666$Hg2.73952@attbi_s04...
> > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice call
> > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at
the
> > computer or not?
> > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
Fax
> or
> > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
> calls
> > and will work with XP?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 8:36:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Phil, he did tell you the names below his reply. Here they are again:
http://www.faxtalk.com/
FaxTalk Messenger Pro
www.pigeonline.com
Pigeon Mail n Fax


"pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:NQzCc.99125$eu.70057@attbi_s02...
> Hi Hal,
> Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I can
> get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my desk.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> news:%23CxAaHaWEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
> > Ring problem:
> >
> > http://www.faxtalk.com/
> > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> > www.pigeonline.com
> > Pigeon Mail n Fax
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >
> > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:yWWBc.75666$Hg2.73952@attbi_s04...
> > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
call
> > > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at
> the
> > > computer or not?
> > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
> Fax
> > or
> > > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
> > calls
> > > and will work with XP?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Phil
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Does anyone know if this software supports DSL or do you have to have a regular phone line?
Thanks


"Victor D." wrote:

> Phil, he did tell you the names below his reply. Here they are again:
> http://www.faxtalk.com/
> FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> www.pigeonline.com
> Pigeon Mail n Fax
>
>
> "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:NQzCc.99125$eu.70057@attbi_s02...
> > Hi Hal,
> > Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I can
> > get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my desk.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
> >
> > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23CxAaHaWEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the Distinctive
> > > Ring problem:
> > >
> > > http://www.faxtalk.com/
> > > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> > > www.pigeonline.com
> > > Pigeon Mail n Fax
> > >
> > > Hal
> > > --
> > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> > > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> > >
> > > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > news:yWWBc.75666$Hg2.73952@attbi_s04...
> > > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a voice
> call
> > > > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether at
> > the
> > > > computer or not?
> > > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive the
> > Fax
> > > or
> > > > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> > > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from Voice
> > > calls
> > > > and will work with XP?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Phil
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:42:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

You have to have a phone line that is analog and a fax voice analog modem.
You can use DSL if you have the filters on the phone line connected to
modem. You can get filters at Radio Shack or your DSL provider.


"Pat C" <Pat C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8C1886D9-E1D8-4A28-A2E9-BAEEF6B3384D@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if this software supports DSL or do you have to have a
regular phone line?
> Thanks
>
>
> "Victor D." wrote:
>
> > Phil, he did tell you the names below his reply. Here they are again:
> > http://www.faxtalk.com/
> > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> > www.pigeonline.com
> > Pigeon Mail n Fax
> >
> >
> > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:NQzCc.99125$eu.70057@attbi_s02...
> > > Hi Hal,
> > > Would you tell me the names of these third party fax applications so I
can
> > > get my OS set up to receive incoming Fax calls while away from my
desk.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Phil
> > >
> > > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> > > news:%23CxAaHaWEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > I know of two third party fax applications that overcome the
Distinctive
> > > > Ring problem:
> > > >
> > > > http://www.faxtalk.com/
> > > > FaxTalk Messenger Pro
> > > > www.pigeonline.com
> > > > Pigeon Mail n Fax
> > > >
> > > > Hal
> > > > --
> > > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> > > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> > > > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> > > >
> > > > "pvc" <philvc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > > news:yWWBc.75666$Hg2.73952@attbi_s04...
> > > > > Is there any software available for XP that can distinguish a
voice
> > call
> > > > > from a fax call and if it's a fax, automatically answer it whether
at
> > > the
> > > > > computer or not?
> > > > > The Fax program with XP demands you be at the computer to receive
the
> > > Fax
> > > > or
> > > > > else treat all calls as Fax calls, which is unacceptable.
> > > > > Does anyone know of a Fax program that will distinguish Fax from
Voice
> > > > calls
> > > > > and will work with XP?
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks,
> > > > > Phil
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 4:58:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Pat C wrote:
> Does anyone know if this software supports DSL or do you have to have
> a regular phone line? Thanks

*No* software supports DSL because you cannot fax over DSL, full stop.
Faxing requires a phone line - it has nothing to do with software. How do
you think the signal's going to travel - power of positive thought?! You
don't dial a number to connect to the Internet, do you, so what makes you
think you can dial a fax number and send data?
!