EQ2: First adventure pack

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say
I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance to
me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.

But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level char
is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!

BombayMix wrote:
> So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say
> I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
> a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance
> me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
> content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.

Yeah, I was disappointed that the "Lore" button was greyed out. I'd
like to know more about the story of the new zone.

> But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level char
> is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!

I didn't see that level range in the blurb - it said that there was
loot for all levels in there so I assumed that it was for levels 20+ as
that is the minimum level for Nektulos. If that is the case I'll have
to cancel my pre-order ASAP as my highest character is 26 and I have
stopped playing him because I switched my main to be another character
who is only level 18.

steve.kaye

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>> But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level
char
>> is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!

>I didn't see that level range in the blurb - it said that there was
>loot for all levels in there so I assumed that it was for levels 20+
as
>that is the minimum level for Nektulos. If that is the case I'll have

>to cancel my pre-order ASAP as my highest character is 26 and I have
>stopped playing him because I switched my main to be another character

>who is only level 18.

It wasn't on the main site but on a site linked to it. A generic SOE
one IIRC.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>> So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say

>> I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
>> a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance
>> me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
>> content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.

>> But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level
char
>> is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!

>Personally it's exactly what I thought it would be, more quick and
easy
>dungeons with extra items that you can only get by buying the pack.

I expected there to some sort of hook, something that makes me think
"Wow that's new must get that" Instead it looks like all the other
instances in the game.

>There are so many bugs and details that need completing it annoys me
that
>SoE are putting resources into this at all. I could name at least 25
>problems with just the carpenter class, will these getting fixed, no
lets
>just create a new dungeon instead.

Money, bugs fixes don't make SOE any money, add on's do.

>I'm amazed at the lvl needed to play this as well. My highest guy is
24, I
>would have thought that if SoE wanted to add extra content it would be
for
>15-30 level players, not the people who rush through the game power
>levelling.

The only reason I can think of is those people are complaining about
lack to content so they are more likely to get it. People my level
still have so much to see they won't see the point in getting it.

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message

> So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say
> I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
> a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance to
> me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
> content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.

Not terribly impressed, but it looks like a fun package and I didn't mind
shelling out $4.95 to see the new content. Cheap. I knew when I first heard
about "Adventure Packs" that they would be greeted this way. There's not
enough to get anyone excited, and just enough to give SOE critics new grist
for the mill. Strange marketing indeed. You would think with WoW falling all
over itself with success, that SOE would be more interested in strengthening
its base rather than polarizing it further.

> But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level char
> is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!

That puzzled me, too, although as a level 40 I'm pleased that there will be
more content to pursue. Not that there's exactly a shortage of things to do
now ... I think part of the reasoning here is that players who've made it
into the 30's and 40's are at a critical juncture and need more loving than
the ones who are still fresh from their teens and 20's. I don't have any
hard data on this, but I believe I see more players leaving at 30 than at
20.

--
Redbeard, the Treasure Hunter
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

On 1 Mar 2005 02:43:09 -0800, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
wrote:

>So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say
>I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
>a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance to
>me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
>content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.
>
>But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level char
>is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!

Ditto - my new main is 22, and I'm pretty burned out on EQ2. atm
she's retreading all the old ground my old main has covered so there's
not much desire to grind out the levels until I can get to Nek Forest.

And what's with all the carrots ?

Bob Perez wrote:
> Not terribly impressed, but it looks like a fun package and I didn't
mind
> shelling out $4.95 to see the new content. Cheap. I knew when I first
heard
> about "Adventure Packs" that they would be greeted this way. There's
not
> enough to get anyone excited, and just enough to give SOE critics new
grist
> for the mill. Strange marketing indeed. You would think with WoW
falling all
> over itself with success, that SOE would be more interested in
strengthening
> its base rather than polarizing it further.

I like the premise, but vampires are just fun no matter what :p You
are correct though, at $4.95 it is pretty cheap. If the adventures are
linked like they claim, it could really be a blast. As for WoW, a few
of my friends (RL friends) that left for WoW when it first came out
started trickling back into EQ2. So far the complaints I heard were
that it was pretty fun, but also really shallow. If EQ2 does a good
job with this adventure pack as the first one, it might win back more
of the people that it lost.

> That puzzled me, too, although as a level 40 I'm pleased that there
will be
> more content to pursue. Not that there's exactly a shortage of things
to do
> now ... I think part of the reasoning here is that players who've
made it
> into the 30's and 40's are at a critical juncture and need more
loving than
> the ones who are still fresh from their teens and 20's. I don't have
any
> hard data on this, but I believe I see more players leaving at 30
than at
> 20.

I didn't see the level limits like one of the previous posters
mentioned. Although, with level 45 as the top end, I don't think it
will gray out until you hit 50. I'm 47 currently, but a lot of my
friends are the high 30s, low 40s, so I should still be able to
contribute in there (and not gray everything out). My brother just hit
25 and he is excited and pre-ordered also, so I'm not sure how much the
level limits are going to hurt the sales. I do wonder if these are
going to be a time-limited offering or a forever deal. I haven't seen
any word either way on that.

scritchy wrote:
> I didn't see the level limits like one of the previous posters
> mentioned. Although, with level 45 as the top end, I don't think it
> will gray out until you hit 50. I'm 47 currently, but a lot of my
> friends are the high 30s, low 40s, so I should still be able to
> contribute in there (and not gray everything out). My brother just
hit
> 25 and he is excited and pre-ordered also, so I'm not sure how much
the
> level limits are going to hurt the sales. I do wonder if these are
> going to be a time-limited offering or a forever deal. I haven't
seen
> any word either way on that.

Found the level limits:

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/news_archive.vm?id=377&section=News&month=current

or tiny url'd:

http://tinyurl.com/4cxcn

It does say that there are no limis on access, but the content is
geared toward the 30-45 crowd. It will be fun to see what kind of
crowds this attracts.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"scritchy" <scritchy@gmail.com> wrote in

> scritchy wrote:
>> I didn't see the level limits like one of the previous posters
>> mentioned. Although, with level 45 as the top end, I don't think it
>> will gray out until you hit 50. I'm 47 currently, but a lot of my
>> friends are the high 30s, low 40s, so I should still be able to
>> contribute in there (and not gray everything out). My brother just
>> hit 25 and he is excited and pre-ordered also, so I'm not sure how
>> much the level limits are going to hurt the sales. I do wonder if
>> these are going to be a time-limited offering or a forever deal. I
>> haven't seen any word either way on that.
>
> Found the level limits:
>
> http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/news_archive.vm?id=377&section=Ne
> ws&month=current
>
> or tiny url'd:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4cxcn
>
> It does say that there are no limis on access, but the content is
> geared toward the 30-45 crowd. It will be fun to see what kind of
> crowds this attracts.

Well, not me for one, not likely to see level 30 by then with my
relatively low playtimes and the time I put into tradeskills.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 14 Gnome Brawler, 27 Provisioner

Bob Perez wrote:
> "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> That puzzled me, too, although as a level 40 I'm pleased that there
will be
> more content to pursue. Not that there's exactly a shortage of things
to do
> now ... I think part of the reasoning here is that players who've
made it
> into the 30's and 40's are at a critical juncture and need more
loving than
> the ones who are still fresh from their teens and 20's. I don't have
any
> hard data on this, but I believe I see more players leaving at 30
than at
> 20.

I don't know what other people thought or how it is in Qeynos but my
Assassin needed some loving at 25 after the trauma of those pain in the
arse armour quests :) (Edgewater Drains has to be the main reason
for my Ogre's betrayal - I couldn't face that nightmare again)

steve.kaye

scritchy wrote:

> I didn't see the level limits like one of the previous posters
> mentioned. Although, with level 45 as the top end, I don't think it
> will gray out until you hit 50. I'm 47 currently, but a lot of my
> friends are the high 30s, low 40s, so I should still be able to
> contribute in there (and not gray everything out).

By the time it comes out you'll probably be able to lower your level
using the mentoring system. It wouldn't be a huge problem if you have
out-levelled the content as you have friends in the correct level
range.

> My brother just hit
> 25 and he is excited and pre-ordered also, so I'm not sure how much
the
> level limits are going to hurt the sales.

If I was level 25 with my Warrior/Guardian then I wouldn't have
cancelled my pre-order. He is level 19 and ordering it 10 levels early
is a bit much - he may not ever get there or when he does there may be
a more interesting adventure pack out. (I know its only £3.50 but it
would still be throwing it away if I never used it and I could always
order it later)

steve.kaye

>I'm pretty sure SOE have said they have seperate teams for bug fixing
and
>for developing new content ... that being the case it's having no
effect on
>the rate of bug fixing

Not necessarily, they could have one person fixing bugs and 100 making
new content. Still depends on how they the teams are made up and who
gets priority over resources.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

Those that started earlier probably are there. I would definitely be
there, if not for the fact that I started a char in Freeport up to 19,
then I gave up trying to like the city (my guild decided to be based
there) and created a new char in Qeynos, when he was lvl 31 the rest of
my guild decided they didn't like Freeport and created new chars in
Qeynos, so I created a new char to play with them.
Then when this new char got to 27, my guild mates (the ones in Qeynos)
stopped playing for RL issues, so I started crafting, when this char go
to about 28 alchemist, SOE released the patch of doom (as it is known
for alchemists), so I created yet another char for crafting, this one a
sage, and now he's lvl 26.
If I had stayed with one char from the beginning he'd most probably be
40+ (if not 50)

"Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in message

> "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
>> So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say
>> I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
>> a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance to
>> me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
>> content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.
>>
>> But the real blocker is that it's for 30-45 and my highest level char
>> is 23. So, there's not much point in getting it anyway!
>
> Personally it's exactly what I thought it would be, more quick and easy
> dungeons with extra items that you can only get by buying the pack.
>
> There are so many bugs and details that need completing it annoys me that
> SoE are putting resources into this at all. I could name at least 25
> problems with just the carpenter class, will these getting fixed, no lets
> just create a new dungeon instead.
>
> I'm amazed at the lvl needed to play this as well. My highest guy is 24, I
> would have thought that if SoE wanted to add extra content it would be for
> 15-30 level players, not the people who rush through the game power
> levelling.

I'm pretty sure SOE have said they have seperate teams for bug fixing and
for developing new content ... that being the case it's having no effect on
the rate of bug fixing

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

I wouldn't have a problem with the changes, if not for the fact that it
left alchemists almost unusables. See, this is what alchemists can do:
- Components: Useless now
- Tank powers: I have yet to sell a power for more than 30s, and my
alchemist is lvl 30, leaving him in merchant mode at least 8 hours/day
- Potions: Have you checked the stats on these? a lvl 29 healing
potion that gives a whopping 40 health, or a mana regen potion that
gives 3 points every 6 seconds, at a level where everyone has about
1000 power is just laughable. Add to this the fact that potions con
'gray' no matter what, nobody buys them
- Poisons: Only possible source of income, guess you could compare it
to provisioner, except for a few things: - Poisons last 12 hours and
have 4 uses each, so a customer may buy 1 poison a week if that (our
hope is that our customers die a lot LOL). Also: - Everybody needs
drinks from provisioners, but only scout types need poisons, and many
don't even know about them.
- Both poisons and potions: for some reason we can only consistently
make them from lvls x1 to x5 (the poisons from levels x6 to x9 require
bottles made from rare components to create! I'm not talking about rare
power poisons, no... ALL the poisons and potions we can make in those
ranges require a rare).

So there you see, alchemists are in real bad shape.

The funny thing is, I first created my alchemist not for money or
anything, I just wanted to make cool potions like speed, invisibility,
levitation, etc. only to find out that we don't make them, woodworkers
do *Major boggle*

Patrik

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:

> That puzzled me, too, although as a level 40 I'm pleased that there will be
> more content to pursue. Not that there's exactly a shortage of things to do
> now ... I think part of the reasoning here is that players who've made it
> into the 30's and 40's are at a critical juncture and need more loving than
> the ones who are still fresh from their teens and 20's. I don't have any
> hard data on this, but I believe I see more players leaving at 30 than at
> 20.

They said, back when they announced the whole adventure pack thing,
that they were going to aim them at where the majority of players
were, so probably most players have at least one character in that
level range now.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1109777650.530506.231690
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Those that started earlier probably are there. I would definitely be
> there, if not for the fact that I started a char in Freeport up to 19,
> then I gave up trying to like the city (my guild decided to be based
> there) and created a new char in Qeynos, when he was lvl 31 the rest of
> my guild decided they didn't like Freeport and created new chars in
> Qeynos, so I created a new char to play with them.
> Then when this new char got to 27, my guild mates (the ones in Qeynos)
> stopped playing for RL issues, so I started crafting, when this char go
> to about 28 alchemist, SOE released the patch of doom (as it is known
> for alchemists), so I created yet another char for crafting, this one a
> sage, and now he's lvl 26.

You mean the patch that released the rest of us tradeskillers from
servitude to the alchemists?

> If I had stayed with one char from the beginning he'd most probably be
> 40+ (if not 50)

I started playing on day 1, and below you can see my 2 highest
characters.

--

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1109791375.577820.161880
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I wouldn't have a problem with the changes, if not for the fact that it
> left alchemists almost unusables. See, this is what alchemists can do:
> - Components: Useless now
> - Tank powers: I have yet to sell a power for more than 30s, and my
> alchemist is lvl 30, leaving him in merchant mode at least 8 hours/day
> - Potions: Have you checked the stats on these? a lvl 29 healing
> potion that gives a whopping 40 health, or a mana regen potion that
> gives 3 points every 6 seconds, at a level where everyone has about
> 1000 power is just laughable. Add to this the fact that potions con
> 'gray' no matter what, nobody buys them
> - Poisons: Only possible source of income, guess you could compare it
> to provisioner, except for a few things: - Poisons last 12 hours and
> have 4 uses each, so a customer may buy 1 poison a week if that (our
> hope is that our customers die a lot LOL). Also: - Everybody needs
> drinks from provisioners, but only scout types need poisons, and many
> don't even know about them.
> - Both poisons and potions: for some reason we can only consistently
> make them from lvls x1 to x5 (the poisons from levels x6 to x9 require
> bottles made from rare components to create! I'm not talking about rare
> power poisons, no... ALL the poisons and potions we can make in those
> ranges require a rare).

While I was still considering alchemy, I did attempt to make some potions
and poisons, but found that it was almost impossible to make anything due
to the rare compnent requirement, and that was part of what made me
decide to go Sage instead.

> So there you see, alchemists are in real bad shape.

That would be as opposed to Sages, who can make spells (quite comparable
to the tank powers), and patterns (which anyone can now make). Which is
all Sages could ever make, at least alchemists had their moment.

> The funny thing is, I first created my alchemist not for money or
> anything, I just wanted to make cool potions like speed, invisibility,
> levitation, etc. only to find out that we don't make them, woodworkers
> do *Major boggle*

I almost went alchemist, planned on it right until I was about to ding
20, then switched to Sage under the misguided notion that I'd be making
my own spells. Well, given how much of an expense it was to actually
raise my skill when I had to purchase the inks, or, alternatively,
waiting on a friend to find the time to go through the extremely tedious
process of making me a stack of ink, while another friend made me a stack
of paper, and quills (both of which required the same alchemist friend to
make subcomponents), it was becoming completely impossible to actually
make any headway, and I ended up at level 22 until the recent changes.

There are only a few tradeskills that seem to have any real actual
utility that people regularly want things from.

--

> >I'm pretty sure SOE have said they have seperate teams for bug fixing
> and
> >for developing new content ... that being the case it's having no
> effect on
> >the rate of bug fixing
>
> Not necessarily, they could have one person fixing bugs and 100 making
> new content. Still depends on how they the teams are made up and who
> gets priority over resources.

You never know, if they are bugs that effect play of the new adventures they
might be moved up the priority list ;)

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

it's not really the same way with sages. See, I made a sage after the
alchemist fiasco, and am enjoying it a lot. There's a major difference
between tank powers and sages' spells. Tanks spend their money in
armor first, then weapons, then powers. Sages make spells for healers
and casters, and for them spells are their first priority. I sell more
scrolls from my lvl 26 sage in one day than all the powers and poisons
I've sold from my alchemist in his 30 levels

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in message

> "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> So, what does the panel think of the first adventure pack? Can't say
>> I'm too impressed. That's probably because the website doesn't do
>> a very good job in selling it. Just seems like every other instance to
>> me. Might have new creatures, items and lore but there's tons of
>> content I've not done yet so I don't fell the need to get this.
>
> Not terribly impressed, but it looks like a fun package and I didn't mind
> shelling out $4.95 to see the new content. Cheap. I knew when I first
> heard about "Adventure Packs" that they would be greeted this way. There's
> not enough to get anyone excited, and just enough to give SOE critics new
> grist for the mill. Strange marketing indeed. You would think with WoW
> falling all over itself with success, that SOE would be more interested in
> strengthening its base rather than polarizing it further.

I was going to buy WoW but here in Ohio, Blizz pulled it from the shelves
due to the WoW servers being so full, so screw them, they lost my 15 bucks a
month, I went out and bought EQ2 instead.

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1109859299.449798.128000
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> it's not really the same way with sages. See, I made a sage after the
> alchemist fiasco, and am enjoying it a lot. There's a major difference
> between tank powers and sages' spells. Tanks spend their money in
> armor first, then weapons, then powers. Sages make spells for healers
> and casters, and for them spells are their first priority. I sell more
> scrolls from my lvl 26 sage in one day than all the powers and poisons
> I've sold from my alchemist in his 30 levels

I always keep app IVs in stock on my trader, and it is very rare indeed
that I actually sell any, even though I keep them priced below anyone else.
I hate doing anything with my sage, because I know the spells I make are
going to be sitting on my trader taking up space for a very long time,
instead, I just keep on working on my provisioner, or go out and adventure.
The only spells I make anymore are for guildies and friends.

--

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in

> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1109859299.449798.128000
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> it's not really the same way with sages. See, I made a sage after
>> the alchemist fiasco, and am enjoying it a lot. There's a major
>> difference between tank powers and sages' spells. Tanks spend their
>> money in armor first, then weapons, then powers. Sages make spells
>> for healers and casters, and for them spells are their first
>> priority. I sell more scrolls from my lvl 26 sage in one day than
>> all the powers and poisons I've sold from my alchemist in his 30
>> levels
>>

> I always keep app IVs in stock on my trader, and it is very rare
> indeed that I actually sell any, even though I keep them priced below
> anyone else. I hate doing anything with my sage, because I know
> the spells I make are going to be sitting on my trader taking up space
> for a very long time, instead, I just keep on working on my
> provisioner, or go out and adventure. The only spells I make anymore
> are for guildies and friends.

And to add to this, as I stated earlier, I started out planing on doing
alchemy, during that time, I sold far more of the melee essences than I
have sold spells since. I was doing alchemy a fair while prior to the
changes, the only reason I switched to sage was that I wanted to be able
to make my own spells.

--

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> it's not really the same way with sages. See, I made a sage after the
> alchemist fiasco, and am enjoying it a lot. There's a major difference
> between tank powers and sages' spells. Tanks spend their money in
> armor first, then weapons, then powers. Sages make spells for healers
> and casters, and for them spells are their first priority. I sell more
> scrolls from my lvl 26 sage in one day than all the powers and poisons
> I've sold from my alchemist in his 30 levels

My 21 sage has yet to make an adept because i can't afford the rares and
haven't found one, despite much searching. App4's sell sometimes, but it's
so tedious making grey ingredients for them. Is there some trick i'm
missing? Seems funny i can get stacks of gold clusters but not a bit of
silver.

Ralph Nebbish,
Najena