test mode

" overclocking = better value "

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
3 settings on VIO

left two jumpers = actual PROPER voltage 3.3V,
center pair = default = 3.56V,
right pair = test = 3.69V (measured by MBM4)

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I am new and have been trying to figure out how the VIO affects the mobo & cpu temps and stability...does one need to have a higher VIO in order to overclock or is it just the vcore that is increased...I am at the default 3.56 setting on the a7v133a and get readings of mostly 3.584v ( that can rise to 3.616v and I am concerned that my mobo might get to hot due to the voltage......I know that I can use cooling techniques to cool the cpu....but is temps that rise to 42c on the mobo normally a stable thing to have (even when one is not heavy gaming)...will watch for a reply

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
VIO affects the 3.3V to the memory. Upgrading this will help run faster FSB and memory settings. It will increase heat in the memory though.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Peteb...I am using pc100ram 3.3v...224mb.....I already burnt out my first processor 1g athlon 266...with settings at default VIO 3.56, pc133...256ram...7.5x133 in the bios settings...I cleared my cmos and got a duron 800mhz and put back the pc100 ram, that I described above...problem is that my VIO is 3.56 and runs steadily at 3.58 going up to 3.616 at times and my cpu temp is steady at 48c most times but rises to 50c (which I can probably correct with cooling...but my mobo starts up at 28c and quickly rises up reaching about 40c - 42c.....when I play a game such as tribes 2 I crash in about 20 minutes...what can I do with the voltages to make my comp more stable...thanx for your input....frewOFstew

RAISING KIDS IS EASY...YOU JUST GOTTA KEEP EM WARM IN THE WINTER AND COOL IN THE SUMMER.....(some old flick)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frewOFstew on 06/09/01 03:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

So with Crucial PC-133 CAS 2 memory, what kind of overclocking can be done?

I was thinking of running it at default, but if it is <b>definitely</b> safe, I'd have a go.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
The VIO should not affect the CPU itself. Vcore governs the CPU voltage. raising or lowering vio does not affect cpu temperature as far as I'm aware.

If you 'burnt out' a 1G 266 Athlon at a setting of 7.5x133 then you have a problem. What is your vicore voltage set to? Should be 1.75V, or ideally auto.

Are you SURE you burnt it out - or did it stop working one day and you couldn't post?

PC100 memory is going to have a really hard time running PC133 no matter what the voltage. It is more likely that the memory crashed the PC and the the board wouldn't post because of memory timing issues. If you keep the memory at cas3 it might run PC133. If your mobo is hitting 40 degrees then you also need to get netter airflow in your case. It shouldn't really go more than 5 or 6 degrees over ambient (room) temperature.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
That is really only something that you and lady luck will find out. Crucial RAM has good potential for ocing.

It is almost always safe (nothing is 100%) to overclock any component at stock voltages. It is only when you start raising voltages that you may find component lifes drop a little. There is no way to predict failure.

The secret really is to take it as far as you are comfortable and then maybe back it off a little for a buffer. I know, not very scientific huh?

I've not heard of anyone breaking RAM yet - just keep an eye on cpu temps as you raise the FSB.

Good luck!

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Peteb I can't really say for sure that it is dead...but I don't like the way it looks ...LOL...seriously I put in 256 pc133...went in bios and clocked it at 7.5 x 133 it died..wouldn't post...did the clear cmos thing and still couldn't...put in a duron and it works...I've been reading that some cpu's are locked and some unlocked...don't know if this has any thing to do with it...also thought that the thermo that came on the fan might have not covered the die enough...just not sure...this is why I am researching the voltage thing...the heat part makes sense (cooling and such)...but the voltage thing is new to me...so I am trying to understand the voltage settings, relationships and their impact on each other. Again I thank you for your time and help.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
if your athlon fried - you can usually 'smell' it. Leaving it in nd powered will cause it to emit a fairly pungent smell.

Just for reference - I wonce wrote off a cpu as bad that I'm still now using..... Just took a reset. Athe A7V133s can be very annoying at times....

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
sorry long time no reply...It didn't smell burnt but I sent it back anyway...am now using duron 800 to learn...what I have seen is the voltage monitor line in asus probe turn red for about a 16th of an inch when it happen...saw this happen with the duron too...only i cleared the cmos and rebooted and everything is fine with the duron 800...but have seen the red line start to appear again once in a blue moon, wherein I shut it down...would you or anyone who reads this know what it meands when the voltage monitor line in asus probe turns red for less then an eight or a sixteenth of an inch and then turns to normal...is it a sign that there is a cpu problem like overheating or can it be from a voltage surge caused by a bad power supply...etc...etc...will wait for replies......Thanks

frew of stew

Tom_Smart

Illustrious
i've mentioned this to you before. i have 64MB PC100(PNY) alongside 256MB PC133(scumbag) and both are clocked at 138 very reliably, will both do 140 but unstable after 5+ hours.

out of ideas, back soon !

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'd recommend getting motherboard monitor which when running is more accurate/reliable (in my opinion) than Asus Probe.

Look at the max and minimum in the up/down on that and it will give you the range on everything in your system. It may be your power supply cannot keep up with the demand...

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Hi Peteb,

Here's the deal:

AV7 kt133a mobo
Duron 800mhz cpu
micron 256mb pc133 ram
300watt atx power supply
VIO default jumper setting @ 3.56v
Jumper free mode

System defaults to:
Duron 8 x 100fsb = 807mhz
vcore 1.6 (proper specs for my cpu as per documentation)
ram pc100

Asus probe readings:
3.3v = ranges 3.5 - 3.616
vcore = 1.696v
temps:
cpu: 43c - 49c
mobo: 33c - 43c

Problem: When tried to overclock in bios 8 x 102fsb, with default vcore of 1.6v(in bios and a reading of vcore 1.69 in asus probe, system boots at 816mhz, but within a minute asus probe flashes and a partial red line (about <1/4 inch appears on the 3.3v monitoring line) wherein voltage goes to 3.632v. I have no significant cpu temp rise above 48c - 49c, but I immediately shut it down. Have seen this red line before just before my athlon 1ghz 266mhz died when clocked at 7.5 x 133fsb = 997.5mhz...the line scares me...what is it? Also, am I doing everything right? Is my power box related? Is it a ram problem? etc?

Can you or anybody comment on this?
Perplexed,
frew of stew

P.S. Where can I get mobo monitor?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm - the 3.3 line should not affect your cpu - only the RAM and PCI.

3.56 give or take is the default on the 3.3 with an A7V133.

Going to 3.6 or so is not fatal so I wouldn't worry too much. My A7V133 voltage is all over the place with a 430W enermax supply. Just a feature I think.

Can get MBM from, I think, megagames.com, athlonoc.com or www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
It get's crazier...about a half hour ago, as my air conditioner thermostat went off and my 5v spiked up to 6.854v...the asus probe box turned partly red and I shut her down...am up again (I turned up the thermostat on the air so it won't go off; for time being. I have a 50 dollar belkin surge protector...I am starting to think it's the 300watt atx power supply. Will try changing surge protector and putting jumper at 3.3v...if that fails will replace atx power box...if all this fails I will be left with thinking that the problem lies with the resistors on the motherboard. I found and downloaded motherboard monitor and my vcore at 1.6 with readings of 1.63v in the bios shows as 1.70 in motherboard monitor. All other readings were increased as well in both software programs.
I'll just have to try and weed out the problem. Thanx for your reassurance and the software.

frew of stew

P.S. if anyone can help with this problem I would appreciate it.