No longer able to send a Fax

Till mid day today the fax console was working beautifully and faxes were
incoming and outgoing from the PC without a problem. I also have a fax
machine installed on the same line [set to pick up after 6 rings]. the Fax
console is set to pick up after 2 rings so this means that unless the pc is
turned off, all faxes are directed thru to the fax console.

Mid afternoon, for no apparent reason, whenever a fax is sent it prints out
on the Fax machine. The recipient of the fax does get notified that this is
an incoming fax, which is followed by a failure. Does anyone have any idea
what has happened? It have checked the fax configuration and it appears to
be fine. I have also rebooted the pc to see if it will restore the correct
settings. But all this to no avail. Any assistance is appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about longer send

    If I understood the problem correctly, incoming faxes are not received by
    the PC (even when the PC is switched ON) and are received the the external
    fax machines. Can you monitor the PC while a fax is getting received. Open
    status monitor and check the number of Rings happening before the external
    fax machine is picking this up - ensure that 6 rings are happening. If the
    PC tries to receive but fails, then are there any fax events in eventlog?
    Does "Incoming" in Fax Client Console show any message? (Also, just as a
    double-check, ensure that Fax Service is started and from "Printers &
    Faxes->Fax (right click) -> Properties ->Devices (Tab), ensure that the
    Device is set to Auto-Receive faxes on 2 rings).

    Thanks,
    Anand

    --
    Ananda Sarkar

    purposes only.

    "Pippa O'Shannassy" <pippa@arach.net.au> wrote in message
    > Till mid day today the fax console was working beautifully and faxes were
    > incoming and outgoing from the PC without a problem. I also have a fax
    > machine installed on the same line [set to pick up after 6 rings]. the
    Fax
    > console is set to pick up after 2 rings so this means that unless the pc
    is
    > turned off, all faxes are directed thru to the fax console.
    >
    > Mid afternoon, for no apparent reason, whenever a fax is sent it prints
    out
    > on the Fax machine. The recipient of the fax does get notified that this
    is
    > an incoming fax, which is followed by a failure. Does anyone have any
    idea
    > what has happened? It have checked the fax configuration and it appears
    > be fine. I have also rebooted the pc to see if it will restore the
    correct
    > settings. But all this to no avail. Any assistance is appreciated.

    Thanks for your response. Yes the configuration settings on the pc were
    correct and this is the reponse I got when I contacted the fax manufacturer.
    It does seem to have fixed the problem by turning the fax detect to SEMI
    mode

    Use of Fax Machines and Computer Modems on the same telephone line

    This combination of machines can cause problems when connected to the same
    telephone line as both machines have a modem. In some cases the computer
    modem, when dialling out to connect to the internet, can pick up the modem
    within the fax machine. This then causes the fax machine to go into 'receive
    ' mode. There are a number of things that can be done to rectify this issue:

    Turn the "Fax Detect" function in the fax machine to SEMI mode or OFF mode
    (see the Index of your Owner's Manual for instructions).

    If that does not work, then you may have to unplug the fax machine from the
    telephone socket whenever you use the computer to connect to the internet.

    Another alternative is to purchase a switch box from your local electronics
    store. This will isolate the fax from the computer, eliminating the need to
    unplug the fax machine each time. All you do is flick a switch.

    "Ananda Sarkar [MSFT]" <anandsar@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If I understood the problem correctly, incoming faxes are not received by
    > the PC (even when the PC is switched ON) and are received the the external
    > fax machines. Can you monitor the PC while a fax is getting received. Open
    > status monitor and check the number of Rings happening before the external
    > fax machine is picking this up - ensure that 6 rings are happening. If the
    > PC tries to receive but fails, then are there any fax events in eventlog?
    > Does "Incoming" in Fax Client Console show any message? (Also, just as a
    > double-check, ensure that Fax Service is started and from "Printers &
    > Faxes->Fax (right click) -> Properties ->Devices (Tab), ensure that the
    > Device is set to Auto-Receive faxes on 2 rings).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Anand
    >
    > --
    > Ananda Sarkar
    > Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

    rights.
    > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    newsgroup
    > purposes only.
    >
    > "Pippa O'Shannassy" <pippa@arach.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Till mid day today the fax console was working beautifully and faxes
    were
    > > incoming and outgoing from the PC without a problem. I also have a fax
    > > machine installed on the same line [set to pick up after 6 rings]. the
    > Fax
    > > console is set to pick up after 2 rings so this means that unless the pc
    > is
    > > turned off, all faxes are directed thru to the fax console.
    > >
    > > Mid afternoon, for no apparent reason, whenever a fax is sent it prints
    > out
    > > on the Fax machine. The recipient of the fax does get notified that
    this
    > is
    > > an incoming fax, which is followed by a failure. Does anyone have any
    > idea
    > > what has happened? It have checked the fax configuration and it appears
    > > be fine. I have also rebooted the pc to see if it will restore the
    > correct
    > > settings. But all this to no avail. Any assistance is appreciated.

Fax Consoles Microsoft Windows XP