JB Weld, the ultimate interface material!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just switched for frag tape to JB weld to secure my Pentium cooler to my GTS GPU. I didn't want to wait hours for it to secure so I cured it in my oven at 200F (How many of you have the moxy to stick your $160 video card in the oven?). The result? My cooler operates at a MUCH higher temp, I can actually feel warm air blowing out of it. Which means that it is conducting heat away from my GPU MUCH more efficiently. Oh, and I get 5MHz more out of it, big deal.
Oh, and I think that 200F may have been just a LITTLE warm for curing it, the solder was starting to liquify in a couple of places.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
That is just to COOL. The things we will do and go through to get the most bang for the buck. Another at a boy for Crahman. You are the man.

Rock out with your AMD out

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, 200F was the lowest setting on my electric oven. I tried "warm" at first but that didn't seem to work (the light didn't even come on). Maybe I need a new oven. Anyway, the card works great, the cooler works much better, so I guess no damage was done. So the JB weld experiment was a success. I could have let it cure at room temp I suppose, but that would have taken several hours, oven curing took about 20 minutes. I am happy with the results, but thought I should mention that 200F is probably a borderline temp for survivability of parts themselves. Just a few degrees hotter and I would have ruined it.

Crashman.

You either have your $hit together, or your nuts.

Do you think if I put my old PSU in the oven it would fix it? lol

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No guts, no glory! Hey, did you see how I mutilated my Celeron 566 to get it to operate at 850 on an OEM board? It's not that I have the monry to blow, I'm a poor college student with a family to support. But I am fairly sure of myself. Or at least full of myslef! Most people who don't know me think I'm a little crazy, but those who do think I'm "eccentric". Hey, I haven't ruined a part in years!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why would I want fried transistors? Besides, this fan works good, is removable from the heatsink, and the heatsink is no longer removable (did I mention that JB weld is PERMANENT?).

TRENDING THREADS