JB Weld, the ultimate interface material!

I just switched for frag tape to JB weld to secure my Pentium cooler to my GTS GPU. I didn't want to wait hours for it to secure so I cured it in my oven at 200F (How many of you have the moxy to stick your $160 video card in the oven?). The result? My cooler operates at a MUCH higher temp, I can actually feel warm air blowing out of it. Which means that it is conducting heat away from my GPU MUCH more efficiently. Oh, and I get 5MHz more out of it, big deal.
Oh, and I think that 200F may have been just a LITTLE warm for curing it, the solder was starting to liquify in a couple of places.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
10 answers Last reply
More about weld ultimate interface material
  1. EEEEEEEEEExcelllllllllent crashman

the name is justified.. AVE!!

" overclocking = better value "
  2. That is just to COOL. The things we will do and go through to get the most bang for the buck. Another at a boy for Crahman. You are the man.

Rock out with your AMD out
  3. So what's for supper?

Oven chips? hehe

<b>
    "Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
    </b>
  4. I would actually suggest curing it at a lower temp, like 150F or so.

5. Quote:
    so I cured it in my oven at 200F

If I was a cop, I wouldn't arrest you; I'd just start whacking you with a pr24.

You're just plain crazy.....
  6. Well, 200F was the lowest setting on my electric oven. I tried "warm" at first but that didn't seem to work (the light didn't even come on). Maybe I need a new oven. Anyway, the card works great, the cooler works much better, so I guess no damage was done. So the JB weld experiment was a success. I could have let it cure at room temp I suppose, but that would have taken several hours, oven curing took about 20 minutes. I am happy with the results, but thought I should mention that 200F is probably a borderline temp for survivability of parts themselves. Just a few degrees hotter and I would have ruined it.

7. Crashman.

You either have your $hit together, or your nuts.

Do you think if I put my old PSU in the oven it would fix it? lol

<b>
    "Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
    </b>
  8. No guts, no glory! Hey, did you see how I mutilated my Celeron 566 to get it to operate at 850 on an OEM board? It's not that I have the monry to blow, I'm a poor college student with a family to support. But I am fairly sure of myself. Or at least full of myslef! Most people who don't know me think I'm a little crazy, but those who do think I'm "eccentric". Hey, I haven't ruined a part in years!

9. next time solder it on, that will guarantee fried transistors

you do not strengthen teh weak by weakening the strong
  10. Why would I want fried transistors? Besides, this fan works good, is removable from the heatsink, and the heatsink is no longer removable (did I mention that JB weld is PERMANENT?).

Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks GPUs Cooling Overclocking