Unable to print in DOS

I swapped out a 2000 PC for an XP PC for one of my users.
Now we are unable to print from our DOS program the the
locally connected HP LaserJet 1300. It worked fine from
the 2k PC. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about unable print

    Nancy,

    > I swapped out a 2000 PC for an XP PC for one of my users.
    > Now we are unable to print from our DOS program the the
    > locally connected HP LaserJet 1300. It worked fine from
    > the 2k PC. Any ideas?

    Is it possible that the W2K PC did not have all the SP applied ?

    What happens if you simply try to "DIR > LPT1:" ?

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    See Bruce Sanderson's article at
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Nancy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I swapped out a 2000 PC for an XP PC for one of my users.
    > Now we are unable to print from our DOS program the the
    > locally connected HP LaserJet 1300. It worked fine from
    > the 2k PC. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanx in advance.

    Sorry, it's the XP that's not working. Nothing happens
    when I attempt to print the directory.

    Nancy,

    > Sorry, it's the XP that's not working. Nothing happens
    > when I attempt to print the directory.

    I saw at HP website that your printer supports PCL, so it should not be a
    Windows-only printer, even if the symptoms are similar.

    Anyway, try to print from a Windows app. to the HP printer, but with the
    driver set to the FILE: port.
    Once you have got the file, try to print it with:

    Copy filename.prn lpt1:

    If you get your job printed, then your printer does accept a formatted
    input, but it can't understand a simple ascii stream.
    In this case Printfil could solve your problem.

    If you do not get your job printed, then we can look for something else:
    communication problems, cable, LPT1 redirected to some other location, etc.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    I've tried all the suggestions. The printer has a
    parallel port and a USB connection. I've tried both, and
    still nothing. I also tried loading an older LaserJet
    driver, that did not work also.

    It will print from Windows, so it's not the cable or the
    port being misdirected. I've tried all the suggestions
    and nothing is working.

    Nancy,

    > It will print from Windows, so it's not the cable or the
    > port being misdirected. I've tried all the suggestions
    > and nothing is working.

    then try Printfil. It's a Windows 32 bit application, so if Word is printing
    ok, then your DOS app. will too, going through Printfil.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

DOS Windows XP