Weird FPS fluctuation Help?

So i like a said above im having weird FPS fluctuations. It doesn't matter what game it is, they're all impossible to get a stable fps. Its not so bad that's its unplayable, its just that the game play looks jittery and just not smooth at all which bothers the hell out of me. Most noticeable in Minecraft where I get around 45-60FPS on max settings. I get alot of people have lag spikes in it but this isnt like a freeze for 1 sec its a few fps drop that makes the game very unsmooth if that makes sense.

The worst part is if i limit my fps using dxtory it still does it. For instance in minecraft i rarely drop below 45FPS so ill limit it to 30 and it all looks just smooth but itll drop to 20-28 ALL THE TIME! which makes it unsmooth again. Its getting on my nerves. and every game i get this, its worse in other games in the sense that it drops more and gives me the jitters i get.

My specs are

CPU - Celeron E3400 OC @ 3.1GHz
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 6770 OC Core@ 900MHz/Memory@ 1300MHz
RAM - 3GB DDr2 800
Mobo - ASRock g31m-s R2.0
HDD - 80GB 7200RPM Boot drive/150GB 5200RPM (HDD's to expensive cant buy bigger one :[ )
PSU - Seasonic M12 II 620W 80+Bronze Modular
4 answers Last reply
More about weird fluctuation help
  1. Might be the celeron.
  2. Hi, it would really help if you could check your CPU utilization during the game, I'm fairly certain that skaz hit the nail on the head, that CPU is pretty old for your modern GPU.

That said, check that you don't have any background processes stressing the CPU/HDD while you're playing.

And which HDD is the game running from? I'd recommend putting them on the 7200 rpm drive as access times should be a lot shorter.
  3. AntiZig said:
    Hi, it would really help if you could check your CPU utilization during the game, I'm fairly certain that skaz hit the nail on the head, that CPU is pretty old for your modern GPU.

That said, check that you don't have any background processes stressing the CPU/HDD while you're playing.

And which HDD is the game running from? I'd recommend putting them on the 7200 rpm drive as access times should be a lot shorter.

Yeah i figured it was the CPU. And i have my games on the other drive since they wont all fit over but ill add minecraft and other small games to the 7200RPM drive. Im trying to buy a FX4100 and a decent mobo. And before you say it, I have done a ton of research and the 4100 fits what i need best even though most people will say that the i3-2100 is WAY faster. Thanks though ill give it a try
  4. In my eyes the two CPUs are about even when you consider real world value i3 has over 4100. But that said, the new CPUs coming out from AMD require FX2 socket, IIRC, which makes FX1 platform pretty much obsolete only after 1 generation; while with intel you will have the ability to at least upgrade to a quad core ivy bridge on the same socket/motherboard.

just food for thought, if you're okay with that fact then you'll be fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games FPS Video Games