water cooler

G

i have use a water cooler but if use water it have a cell reaction, so i am thinking about use some thin car coolen(liquid) for it. will it work as normal????
or mix it with water.........
i use the senfu set of water cooler
can anyone help me???
thanks a lot.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
The good solution is to use liquid for a car cooling system.

This will have anti-bacterial chemicals to prevent 'call' growth.

Some people also use distilled water for the same reason - car battery water from an auto parts supplier wil have this quite cheap.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

is the car coolen (usually is green) good for a cpu water cooler and radiator??
how long it last compare with the distilled water and normal water??

G

The viscosity of pure antifreeze will present a problem. You'll still get better than air cooling, but it won't be ideal. Distilled water doesn't stay non-electrolytic for long, and as the metals dissolve into the water, it will start to conduct, and create a galvanic cell if there are dissimilar metals used in the system. The rate at which this corrosion occurs depends on the potential of the dissimilar metals (gold and silver won't be as much of a problem as aluminum and copper). To avoid conducting electricity (both galvanic and in the event of catastrophe) some people use mineral oil or alcohol to get around this problem. There are advantages and disadvantages to using these alternate cooling fluids. Mineral oil runs into the same viscosity problems that ethylene glycol does. Also-alcohol, like mineral oil, does not have as advantageous a specific heat as water. The highest performance cooling will come from distilled water combined with a wetting agent like soap or "water wetter". However, that doesn't prevent the galvanic corrosion or conductivity problems. IMHO, some form of alcohol is the best compromise, but YMMV.

3C2X1(<b><i>Genius</i></b>).
Even though I'm a stranger, at least my average post is intelligent!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Sorry - I wasn't proposing pure antifreeze as that is corrosive and not great for cooling. There is a ratio of antifreeze to water to be used.

My issue with oil or alcohol is that they are flammable. Whilst non-conductive, a failure will lead to liberal spraying of the PC, where now uncolled components will rapidly heat up, or sparks may occur from psu or fans.

It worries me to have a fuel fire in my home more than an electrical short circuit....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Ever hear the phrase "water and electricity don't mix"? That's a big part of why water spooks me. I wish someone would do a study though on the performance of different fluids (water and different proportions of antifreeze, alcohol, oil, etc) using different styles of waterblocks (swirl type, maximized surface area type, etc) at different flow rates. I should get my uncle cracking at it (he's a mechanical engineer for DuPont), since it's probably _way_ too complicated a project for me to dive into. Anyway, I don't think even overheated components would be likely to set the alcohol on fire, possibly the oil but I still doubt it. Studying which coolant leak would be most likely to start fires isn't exactly up my alley either :p

3C2X1(<b><i>Genius</i></b>).
Even though I'm a stranger, at least my average post is intelligent!

G

Water and electricity mixes just fine, but you are not supposed to pour water all over the place, and water is not that hard to contain. The water cooling system must be water tight thats all, and you have lots of materials that are water proof.
Just finished my first watercooler myself, its not that great, but a little better and cheaper than my Silverado, and almost as quiet.
If you should be so unlucky as to spill a LITTLE water, chances are that your computer will work when it dries! I actually never heard of any one damaging his computer with water from a watercooler.
I think that soldering on your motherboard is more hazardous than using a watercooler. You can even buy kits now that are even more safe than homebuild systems.

---
Engage!

G

I think if you a normal normal 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze you'll be fine. Some people also add Redline Water Wetter to the mix too. Check out some of the sites dedicated to cooling, usally they have tips on how to mix up cooling soltutions.

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the main problem with water cooling isnt the water leaking, its water condensing on the cooling block, think about it...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It was my understanding that you will only have problems with condensation if you water temp is below ambient air temperature. For example if you uses a TEC to lower water temps.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think it's if your block gets below the dewpoint, not necessarily the ambient temperature, that you'll start to have condensation.

Another computer wanted. Donations accepted. :^)

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
You are correct, that problems with condensation will occur when air comes into contact with a surface that is at a temperature below the dew point.

It seems to me that there are two ways to avoid this problem:

1) Have your cooling system thermostatically controlled to keep the temperature just above the dew point.

or if you require maximum cooling:

2) Follow the approach taken by Vapochill's refrigeration system that insulates all cold surfaces, so preventing air coming into contact with any surface cold enough to cause condensation.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, Wouldn’t the dew point be below ambient air temp? And if your not using a TEC on your water cooling rig, the water leaving the radiator would be (at best) ambient air temp and much warmer once it passes by the CPU. Thus I didn’t think condensation was a problem on normal water cooling rigs. I don’t think the coolance case has a thermostat or anything to keep water temps up.

Also, I was interested in using a TEC and heatsink combo but didn’t like idea of smearing Vaseline all over my mobo. Do you have a link where I can buy a thermostat to turn on and off the TEC and keep the CPU above due point.

One last thing. If I am wrong and due point is below ambient air temp how the hell do u figure it out. I’m sure is would be dependant on humidity and stuff. Anyone know the formula?

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>