Microsoft Fax Problem... can't send

June 23, 2004 10:00:40 PM

My "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver" will not send a fax it says that "There is
no answer" as soon as a dial tone is gotten... It never attempts to dial the
number. The no answer dialog appear in about 1 second after off hook.

Modem is a DSI V.90 DI3635 (Broadxent)

OS Is Windows XP Professional SP1 with all critical updates, and drivers.

Any solutions for this problem?

Thanks
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 10:25:04 PM

You did not specify what fax program you are using nor how it is configured.
Windows XP has no Shared Fax Driver so you are using something else.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o %23d8hXXWEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> My "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver" will not send a fax it says that "There
is
> no answer" as soon as a dial tone is gotten... It never attempts to dial
the
> number. The no answer dialog appear in about 1 second after off hook.
>
> Modem is a DSI V.90 DI3635 (Broadxent)
>
> OS Is Windows XP Professional SP1 with all critical updates, and drivers.
>
> Any solutions for this problem?
>
> Thanks

June 23, 2004 10:47:39 PM

It is the FAX driver that comes with Windows XP... If you do properties on
the Fax in "Printers and Faxes" it says Model: "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver"
...It is the one you get when you install Fax Services from add Windows
Components.

Thanks

> You did not specify what fax program you are using nor how it is
configured.
> Windows XP has no Shared Fax Driver so you are using something else.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o %23d8hXXWEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > My "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver" will not send a fax it says that "There
> is
> > no answer" as soon as a dial tone is gotten... It never attempts to dial
> the
> > number. The no answer dialog appear in about 1 second after off hook.
> >
> > Modem is a DSI V.90 DI3635 (Broadxent)
> >
> > OS Is Windows XP Professional SP1 with all critical updates, and
drivers.

> > Any solutions for this problem?
> >
> > Thanks

June 24, 2004 1:15:43 AM

Doubt your modem is supported.
Check the Windows XP HCL to see.
--
news:o GwQyxXWEHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> It is the FAX driver that comes with Windows XP... If you do properties on
> the Fax in "Printers and Faxes" it says Model: "Microsoft Shared Fax
Driver"
> ..It is the one you get when you install Fax Services from add Windows
> Components.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > You did not specify what fax program you are using nor how it is
> configured.
> > Windows XP has no Shared Fax Driver so you are using something else.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:o %23d8hXXWEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > My "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver" will not send a fax it says that
"There
> > is
> > > no answer" as soon as a dial tone is gotten... It never attempts to
dial
> > the
> > > number. The no answer dialog appear in about 1 second after off hook.
> > >
> > > Modem is a DSI V.90 DI3635 (Broadxent)
> > >
> > > OS Is Windows XP Professional SP1 with all critical updates, and
> drivers.
> > >
> > > Any solutions for this problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks

June 24, 2004 3:19:43 AM

This system is a clean reinstall of Windows XP on a new hard disk. The modem
is not on the HCL but ... When I went to Windows Update site and select
"View installation history" the first item one on the list is;

Creative Labs Inc modem software update released on June 13 2002.

And I remember the Updater indicating an updated driver was available for
the modem when I began the update process. The Windows Updater showed a new
driver was available for the modem...

it is referenced here in OEM4.INF

[Strings]
DSI="DSI"
MfgName="Creative Labs Inc"
DiskName="Windows XP Modem Driver Installation Disk"
DI3635="Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635" < this is the one
DI3631="Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631"

So while it is an older modem... it does appear to be supported by Windows
XP. But why does it bail in 1 sec?

Thanks

> Doubt your modem is supported.
> Check the Windows XP HCL to see.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o GwQyxXWEHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > It is the FAX driver that comes with Windows XP... If you do properties
on
> > the Fax in "Printers and Faxes" it says Model: "Microsoft Shared Fax
> Driver"
> > ..It is the one you get when you install Fax Services from add Windows
> > Components.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > You did not specify what fax program you are using nor how it is
> > configured.
> > > Windows XP has no Shared Fax Driver so you are using something else.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > news:o %23d8hXXWEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "There
> > > is
> dial
> > > the

> > drivers.

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:40:16 AM

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
news:o tgUzJaWEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This system is a clean reinstall of Windows XP on a new hard disk. The
modem
> is not on the HCL but ... When I went to Windows Update site and select
> "View installation history" the first item one on the list is;
>
> Creative Labs Inc modem software update released on June 13 2002.
>
> And I remember the Updater indicating an updated driver was available for
> the modem when I began the update process. The Windows Updater showed a
new
> driver was available for the modem...
>
> it is referenced here in OEM4.INF
>
> [Strings]
> DSI="DSI"
> MfgName="Creative Labs Inc"
> DiskName="Windows XP Modem Driver Installation Disk"
> DI3635="Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635" < this is the one
> DI3631="Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631"
>
> So while it is an older modem... it does appear to be supported by Windows
> XP. But why does it bail in 1 sec?
>
> Thanks
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Doubt your modem is supported.
> > Check the Windows XP HCL to see.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:o GwQyxXWEHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > It is the FAX driver that comes with Windows XP... If you do
properties
> on
> > > the Fax in "Printers and Faxes" it says Model: "Microsoft Shared Fax
> > Driver"
> > > ..It is the one you get when you install Fax Services from add Windows
> > > Components.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > configured.
> > "There
> > dial
> hook.

> > > drivers.

June 24, 2004 5:36:09 PM

"Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:o tgUzJaWEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> And I remember the Updater indicating an updated driver was available for
> the modem when I began the update process. The Windows Updater showed a new
> driver was available for the modem...
>
> it is referenced here in OEM4.INF
>
> [Strings]
> DSI="DSI"
> MfgName="Creative Labs Inc"
> DiskName="Windows XP Modem Driver Installation Disk"
> DI3635="Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635" < this is the one
> DI3631="Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631"
>
> So while it is an older modem... it does appear to be supported by Windows
> XP. But why does it bail in 1 sec?
>
> Thanks

Just for your information, I am using the DI3631, for faxing and it works just fine.

David
June 25, 2004 3:08:32 AM

I don't use the FAX feature very often, but it used to work before this
latest clean install.

So not sure why it is failing now

"David" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

"Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o tgUzJaWEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> And I remember the Updater indicating an updated driver was available for
> the modem when I began the update process. The Windows Updater showed a
new
> driver was available for the modem...
>
> it is referenced here in OEM4.INF
>
> [Strings]
> DSI="DSI"
> MfgName="Creative Labs Inc"
> DiskName="Windows XP Modem Driver Installation Disk"
> DI3635="Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635" < this is the one
> DI3631="Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631"
>
> So while it is an older modem... it does appear to be supported by Windows
> XP. But why does it bail in 1 sec?
>
> Thanks

Just for your information, I am using the DI3631, for faxing and it works
just fine.

David
June 25, 2004 3:00:59 PM

"Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23WoOKomWEHA.1128@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I don't use the FAX feature very often, but it used to work before this
> latest clean install.
>
> So not sure why it is failing now
(snip Re: Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635)
> > So while it is an older modem... it does appear to be supported by Windows
> > XP. But why does it bail in 1 sec?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Just for your information, I am using the DI3631, for faxing and it works
> just fine.
>
> David

Have you tried getting the drivers for this modem from Creative's web site? Those are the ones I am using.

David
June 25, 2004 9:35:28 PM

I was using the download from Microsoft. I went to the Creative site and
downloaded and unstalled theirs. Same result... no anwser before it dials.

Thanks for the tip... It didn't work unfortunately.

"Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I don't use the FAX feature very often, but it used to work before this
> latest clean install.
>
> So not sure why it is failing now
(snip Re: Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635)
> > So while it is an older modem... it does appear to be supported by
Windows
> > XP. But why does it bail in 1 sec?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Just for your information, I am using the DI3631, for faxing and it works
> just fine.
>
> David

Have you tried getting the drivers for this modem from Creative's web site?
Those are the ones I am using.

David
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:51:21 AM

"Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> I was using the download from Microsoft. I went to the Creative site and
> downloaded and unstalled theirs. Same result... no anwser before it dials.
>
> Thanks for the tip... It didn't work unfortunately.

Hi Randy,
I had the same problem with quite a different modem (US robotics)

As soon as the modem "takes of the hook", a 2 seconds later it says "line
busy", "no answer" and more failures like that.

To have a workaround for this problem, I disabled the option "wait for
dialtone" in the modem settings. This was succesful for me.
To be sure that there will be a dialtone before it dials the number, I added
a modem prefix "," (that is a pause character for Hayes modems).
So a number looks like this: ,0,,12345
,0,,= dial outside line
12345 = number of my client.

hth

Frank
June 30, 2004 2:51:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestion... I tried that but it did not work with this
modem...

I tried using Hyperterm to dial the number and that works okay. Dials right
out with or without "," pauses, so the problem appears to be with the Fax
Console and not my modem. Can't send a fax with hyperterm though :-(

Randy

"FVe" <Frank.V@very.illegal.worldmail.nl> wrote in message

> "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> > I was using the download from Microsoft. I went to the Creative site and
> > downloaded and unstalled theirs. Same result... no anwser before it
dials.

> > Thanks for the tip... It didn't work unfortunately.
> >

> Hi Randy,
> I had the same problem with quite a different modem (US robotics)
>
> As soon as the modem "takes of the hook", a 2 seconds later it says "line
> busy", "no answer" and more failures like that.
>
> To have a workaround for this problem, I disabled the option "wait for
> dialtone" in the modem settings. This was succesful for me.
> To be sure that there will be a dialtone before it dials the number, I
added
> a modem prefix "," (that is a pause character for Hayes modems).
> So a number looks like this: ,0,,12345
> ,0,,= dial outside line
> 12345 = number of my client.
>
> hth
>
> Frank

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:05:57 AM

> Thanks for the suggestion... I tried that but it did not work with this
> modem...
>
> I tried using Hyperterm to dial the number and that works okay. Dials
right
> out with or without "," pauses, so the problem appears to be with the Fax
> Console and not my modem. Can't send a fax with hyperterm though :-(

If I remember well, I could also dial out with hyperterminal, not with fax.
So far it still looks the same.
So try to connect to your modem with hyperterminal, and look for your modem
for the internal AT commands to test your modem.
If I remember well - agian, sorry - its the AT&Ix command, where x could be
5 or 6.
This will enable the loopback test - and checks the modem and its
connections.

hth

Frank
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:36:09 PM

Randy,

I'm running into the exact same problem, with the same Modem.
If you ever figure this out, please let me know and I will do the
same.

Regards,

- Aaron.
--
Aaron Young
July 4, 2004 2:27:39 PM

no fix yet... I'll let you know if I find one