Sign in with
Your question

Installed Windows 7 Pro on an old Pentium M (1.6 GHz) laptop

Last response: in Windows 7
October 18, 2009 10:02:28 PM

Yesterday morning, I was absolutely sick to death of the dreaded performance I was getting with Windows Vista Basic on an old Toshiba laptop, which has a 1.6 GHz Pentium M processor and 2GB of ram. So, I decided to install Windows 7 Professional on it, and WOW, just WOW.

The laptop is like an entirely new machine. Windows 7 Professional runs very smooth on it. During idle, it uses about 565 MB of ram. I have Office 2010 Technical Preview and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 installed on it. What a difference the OS makes. Vista Basic used to crawl on this laptop, but now, the performance is very snappy. I couldn't be more happy with it. And to think, I was considering tossing this laptop out. :pt1cable:  :lol:  :pt1cable: 

Windows 7 Professional is significantly better than Vista on low end machines. :love: 

October 18, 2009 11:56:03 PM

7 is a bit faster for me, although the boot time is longer.
m
l
October 19, 2009 1:08:16 AM

Maybe Toshiba borked the registry. The machine was painfully slow since day one.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 19, 2009 2:53:55 AM

Very possible. Especially with all the crapware the OEM's like to install on the computers they sell.
m
l
October 19, 2009 5:17:57 AM

Windows 7 scales very well. It booted up in 35 secs on an old 1.3GHz AMD Duron rig (Overclocked to 1.45GHz), 1Gb of PQI DDR 266, a 40Gb IDE HDD, and an ATI 9200 SE (No Vista drivers so no aero, games, etc). I think what you've stumbled upon is a combination of a solid OS and the lack of OEM crapware as mentioned above.
m
l
October 19, 2009 2:15:01 PM

I've been using Vista for a year now and think its great. Have also been using the RC1 of Win7 and that also runs quick. Win7 boots way quicker than Vista for me.
m
l
October 19, 2009 3:15:00 PM

w7 IS better and faster. It is faster in booting, and in searching. I even don`t want to mention about process running speed.
m
l
June 27, 2014 9:33:36 AM

godwhomismike said:

Yesterday morning, I was absolutely sick to death of the dreaded performance I was getting with Windows Vista Basic on an old Toshiba laptop, which has a 1.6 GHz Pentium M processor and 2GB of ram. So, I decided to install Windows 7 Professional on it, and WOW, just WOW.

The laptop is like an entirely new machine. Windows 7 Professional runs very smooth on it. During idle, it uses about 565 MB of ram. I have Office 2010 Technical Preview and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 installed on it. What a difference the OS makes. Vista Basic used to crawl on this laptop, but now, the performance is very snappy. I couldn't be more happy with it. And to think, I was considering tossing this laptop out. :pt1cable:  :lol:  :pt1cable: 

Windows 7 Professional is significantly better than Vista on low end machines. :love: 

not all the time
I compared vista to 7 on a desktop pentium 4 and vista SP2 performed better
m
l
!