Installed Windows 7 Pro on an old Pentium M (1.6 GHz) laptop

Yesterday morning, I was absolutely sick to death of the dreaded performance I was getting with Windows Vista Basic on an old Toshiba laptop, which has a 1.6 GHz Pentium M processor and 2GB of ram. So, I decided to install Windows 7 Professional on it, and WOW, just WOW.

The laptop is like an entirely new machine. Windows 7 Professional runs very smooth on it. During idle, it uses about 565 MB of ram. I have Office 2010 Technical Preview and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 installed on it. What a difference the OS makes. Vista Basic used to crawl on this laptop, but now, the performance is very snappy. I couldn't be more happy with it. And to think, I was considering tossing this laptop out. :pt1cable: :lol: :pt1cable:

Windows 7 Professional is significantly better than Vista on low end machines. :love:
7 answers Last reply
More about installed windows pentium laptop
  1. 7 is a bit faster for me, although the boot time is longer.
  2. Maybe Toshiba borked the registry. The machine was painfully slow since day one.
  3. Very possible. Especially with all the crapware the OEM's like to install on the computers they sell.
  4. Windows 7 scales very well. It booted up in 35 secs on an old 1.3GHz AMD Duron rig (Overclocked to 1.45GHz), 1Gb of PQI DDR 266, a 40Gb IDE HDD, and an ATI 9200 SE (No Vista drivers so no aero, games, etc). I think what you've stumbled upon is a combination of a solid OS and the lack of OEM crapware as mentioned above.
  5. I've been using Vista for a year now and think its great. Have also been using the RC1 of Win7 and that also runs quick. Win7 boots way quicker than Vista for me.
  6. w7 IS better and faster. It is faster in booting, and in searching. I even don`t want to mention about process running speed.
  7. godwhomismike said:

Yesterday morning, I was absolutely sick to death of the dreaded performance I was getting with Windows Vista Basic on an old Toshiba laptop, which has a 1.6 GHz Pentium M processor and 2GB of ram. So, I decided to install Windows 7 Professional on it, and WOW, just WOW.

The laptop is like an entirely new machine. Windows 7 Professional runs very smooth on it. During idle, it uses about 565 MB of ram. I have Office 2010 Technical Preview and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 installed on it. What a difference the OS makes. Vista Basic used to crawl on this laptop, but now, the performance is very snappy. I couldn't be more happy with it. And to think, I was considering tossing this laptop out. :pt1cable: :lol: :pt1cable:

Windows 7 Professional is significantly better than Vista on low end machines. :love:

not all the time
    I compared vista to 7 on a desktop pentium 4 and vista SP2 performed better
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7 World Of Warcraft Windows Vista