GregDL

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi again,

Maybe the title aint clear, but I'll explain. So the specs of my pc are:
Intel pentium E5200 @3.0GHZ
3GB DDR3 RAM
Sapphire HD 5770 900/1240 @ 1366x768

So, if I put the texure quality on high, with 4AA and shadows on medium, I get 21fps. If I reduce texture quality to medium, no AA and no shadows, I get 23 fps. So whats the problem? Shouldn't I be getting a serious fps game by disabling the shadows and AA?

SilverEyes

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
I believe GTA IV has a heavy CPU load. If you bring up Task Manager, how are your cores, is one pegged near 100% while running GTA IV?

GregDL

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

The cpu usage is 94% (according to the benchmark)
EDIT: I changed the texture quality to low (now everything is on low or off), and I'm getting 27 fps. Not a huge gain I guess?

SilverEyes

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
I suspect that the CPU is acting as a bottleneck, so unfortunately there isn't much you can do. So you may as well enable the higher graphics settings and enjoy it.

You could try turning off other applications in the background, attempt to add some extra cooling and overclock your CPU, or replace your CPU/mobo (probably expensive).

I haven't tried running GTA IV on a PC, but it is a very heavy-CPU dependent game (as to core speeds or # of cores, I can't comment), and the E5200 isn't a very modern or high end CPU anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_microprocessors

That said, the LGA755 socket has a lot of CPUs for it, someone else may be able to comment on compatability and if an upgrade within the same socket is worth it.

GregDL

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

Ow, I meant texture filter quality..
At trilinear I get 27fps, at 16x I get 23 fps. Is it a gpu problem?

GregDL

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

I understand you there, but the processor is already overclocked. It's running at 3.0ghz instead of 2.5ghz? Also, if I would upgrade, would you recommend me and amd processor or an intel core i?

SilverEyes

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

Yeah, when I checked online the stock frequency seemed to be 2.5 GHz so I figured it may be OC'ed. I meant LGA775 socket, not 755. I'm not too sure about upgrades, I simply don't know enough. I would make a post here or elsewhere about upgrading an E5200 in a LGA775 vs. replacing more components and getting something modern.

It also depends on your budget for this.

as far as which particular CPU to upgrade with will definitely depend on your budget.

Point is, I do not recommend looking for anything on 775, that's old technology. So, with that said, you will need to buy a new motherboard and probably you can pick up new faster DDR3 ram along with it.

The best case scenario is ofcourse to get an intel sandy or ivy bridge CPU (i3 or i5, 2000 or 3000 series). But, if budget is an issue, you could settle for a Pentium G (G620/820 is good enough for gaming) which is on the same socket, so later you can upgrade to an i5, if you need to. Or you could go with an AMD getting an AM3 mobo for Phenom 2 x4 cpu in the 900 range.