Windows FAX and DSL connections

I use Earthlink DSL for my Internet access, but when
setting up the XP FAX component I was only shown the US
Robotics FAX Modem. Do I need to do anything special to
alert XP to look for FAXes that are coming in the NIC
(RG45), as opposed to the phone line (RG11)??
5 answers Last reply
More about windows connections

    Adding a little detail, sending a fax by DSL requires one of two methods:

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does
    your local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Patrick" <pub-mail-freeman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I use Earthlink DSL for my Internet access, but when
    > setting up the XP FAX component I was only shown the US
    > Robotics FAX Modem. Do I need to do anything special to
    > alert XP to look for FAXes that are coming in the NIC
    > (RG45), as opposed to the phone line (RG11)??

    Under your scenario #1, just how do you propose to dial the required number
    in order to connect to a fax machine? The filter has nothing to do with
    sending faxes. It prevents crosstalk over the line between the standard
    analog phone line and the digital subscriber line.

    Bobby

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > Adding a little detail, sending a fax by DSL requires one of two methods:
    >
    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    > line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    > does
    > your local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "Patrick" <pub-mail-freeman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I use Earthlink DSL for my Internet access, but when
    >> setting up the XP FAX component I was only shown the US
    >> Robotics FAX Modem. Do I need to do anything special to
    >> alert XP to look for FAXes that are coming in the NIC
    >> (RG45), as opposed to the phone line (RG11)??

    No, nothing special. You need a phone line and an analog fax modem.
    Fax uses phone lines, not the Internet.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Patrick" <pub-mail-freeman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I use Earthlink DSL for my Internet access, but when
    > setting up the XP FAX component I was only shown the US
    > Robotics FAX Modem. Do I need to do anything special to
    > alert XP to look for FAXes that are coming in the NIC
    > (RG45), as opposed to the phone line (RG11)??

    The same way you'd dial the required number with an analog telephone. The
    filter allows you to connect analog telephone devices to a DSL line
    including telephones and fax modems. The filter has EVERYTHING to do with
    sending faxes.

    Hal
    --

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote in message
    > Under your scenario #1, just how do you propose to dial the required
    number
    > in order to connect to a fax machine? The filter has nothing to do with
    > sending faxes. It prevents crosstalk over the line between the standard
    > analog phone line and the digital subscriber line.
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > Adding a little detail, sending a fax by DSL requires one of two
    methods:

    > > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > > telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to
    the
    > > line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    > > does
    > > your local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    > > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    > >
    > > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    > >
    > > Hal
    > > --
    > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > >
    > > "Patrick" <pub-mail-freeman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> I use Earthlink DSL for my Internet access, but when
    > >> setting up the XP FAX component I was only shown the US
    > >> Robotics FAX Modem. Do I need to do anything special to
    > >> alert XP to look for FAXes that are coming in the NIC
    > >> (RG45), as opposed to the phone line (RG11)??

    Hal is right, the filter has everything to do with sending faxes if using
    DSL. The filter blocks the high frequency noise. I use it on my DSL.

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote in message
    > Under your scenario #1, just how do you propose to dial the required
    number
    > in order to connect to a fax machine? The filter has nothing to do with
    > sending faxes. It prevents crosstalk over the line between the standard
    > analog phone line and the digital subscriber line.
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > Adding a little detail, sending a fax by DSL requires one of two
    methods:

    > > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > > telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to
    the
    > > line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    > > does
    > > your local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    > > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    > >
    > > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    > >
    > > Hal
    > > --
    > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
    > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > >
    > > "Patrick" <pub-mail-freeman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> I use Earthlink DSL for my Internet access, but when
    > >> setting up the XP FAX component I was only shown the US
    > >> Robotics FAX Modem. Do I need to do anything special to
    > >> alert XP to look for FAXes that are coming in the NIC
    > >> (RG45), as opposed to the phone line (RG11)??

Fax DSL Windows XP