Non-Administrator Users Cannot Print with Windows XP

I am baffled... As the Administrator on my home PC, I can print everything and anything, but none of my Limited account Users can print. They can see the printer and it shows that they are connecting to it, but nothing will print as long as they are logged in as a Limited User. Am I missing something somewhere?
8 answers Last reply
More about administrator users print windows

    I have the same problem with an Officejet 9120 under
    Windows XP. With the 'filemon' from SysInternals I was
    able to track down the problem to spoolsv.exe. This
    program scatters around temp-files in the user-directories
    and for normal users the access is denied for this
    operation. I am quite sure that problem is located here,
    but I was not able to fix the problem by adjusting the
    access-rights. 'spoolsv.exe' exits twice, in
    C:\WINDOWS\system and also in C:\WINDOWS\system32
    \dllcache. The last one has even less access-rights. I
    don't understand how these things interact with each
    other. Maybe there are additional difficulties, because
    spoolsv.exe runs as service. Rebooting the system
    (spoolsv.exe should be restarted with the new access-
    rights) did not help. So, I think we need some help from
    well-experienced Microsoft-guys.

    Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on the
    Printer and select Properties.

    In the Advanced tab, change the setting from "Print using Print Spooler" to
    "Print Direct to Printer".

    Can the Limited Users now print?
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "MontyH" <MontyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am baffled... As the Administrator on my home PC, I can print everything
    >and anything, but none of my Limited account Users can print. They can see
    >the printer and it shows that they are connecting to it, but nothing will
    >print as long as they are logged in as a Limited User. Am I missing
    >something somewhere?

    Hi Cari,

    Setting the direct printing option does not help. The only
    difference is that the NoteTab is blocked longer (up to
    the time-point when the error message pops up). I am still
    worried by the temp-file in the directory
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\NEPTUN. There is an IRP_CREATE on this
    path issued as JUPITER\Ursula. (Windows XP is drive D:,
    NEPTUN is the printer-port, JUPITER is the name of the PC,
    Ursula is a normal user or a power-user). I do the current
    testing only with one PC and the network-printer. So both,
    the print-server and the print-client, are on the same PC.
    Is this a problem? After installing the Printer-Driver,
    the Printer was just present. I never had to execute an
    Add-Printer.

    Paul

    <MontyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I am baffled... As the Administrator on my home PC, I can print
    > everything and anything, but none of my Limited account Users can
    > print. They can see the printer and it shows that they are connecting
    > to it, but nothing will print as long as they are logged in as a
    > Limited User. Am I missing something somewhere?

    I had the same problem... Research on Google revealed that the typical
    obstacle that creates this error message is that:
    * You are running NTFS
    * You (or a client on the LAN) are NOT identified as an administrator on
    the computer with the printer
    * Certain sub-directories are not giving normal users permission

    Having made the following changes fixed it for me.

    * Find the SPOOL directory, typically within your %SYSTEM32% folder.
    * Find the TEMP directory, typically within your %SYSTEM% folder.
    * Right-click on each and select Properties, then the Security tab.
    * Assign Full Control to "Everybody".

    Microsoft Knowledgebase article 271901 may give additional help.

    --
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for yours hints, but the problem is more subtle.
    Changing the permissions does not help. I have discovered
    the following: directly after driver installation
    everything works fine for both, Administrators and
    Restricted Users. However this is changing after the next
    windows-reboot, then the Restricted Users loose the access
    for all network-printer. Any further ideas?

    Paul

    "Paul Kussmaul" <Paul_Kussmaul@gmx.de> wrote in news:2189001c45c24
    $f0b8fdd0$a601280a@phx.gbl:

    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > the following: directly after driver installation
    > everything works fine for both, Administrators and
    > Restricted Users. However this is changing after the next
    > windows-reboot, then the Restricted Users loose the access
    > for all network-printer. Any further ideas?

    I have almost the same problem on a WinXP laptop: A Canon printer is
    freshly installed (or re-installed) using a LANMAN redirector to a stand-
    alone print server using a netname (not IP address).

    A reboot and the printer becomes unavailable (offline) and I CANNOT get
    it back online. I have to delete the printer object and re-add. Without
    rebooting, I have access to the printer. Until the next reboot.

    I've used a utility that compares two snapshots of all files and the
    registry and tried to determine what the crucial difference is between
    offline and online modes. I can't.

    This has been going on for weeks. Just a few days ago, I tried the "net
    use" command and, while it *appears* to work, I haven't stress-tested the
    situation yet.

    That's "net use LPT1: \\fp1004b9\Parallel1 /p:y"

    I was able to bring the printer back online. But I haven't actually tried
    to print to the printer yet.

    --
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Hi Brian,

    The 'net use' you mentioned does not work on my machine.
    The syntax is a little bit confusing. LPT1: probably means
    that the network-printer is seen as the local LPT1-printer-
    device, even nothing is connected to the parallel-port (my
    printer has a built-in JetDirect-Print-Server). The
    command asks for an user-name and a password, but none of
    my XP-accounts are accepted. Do you what kind of user-name
    and passwords are expected here?

    >$f0b8fdd0$a601280a@phx.gbl:
    >
    >> Hi Brian,
    >>
    >> the following: directly after driver installation
    >> everything works fine for both, Administrators and
    >> Restricted Users. However this is changing after the
    next
    >> windows-reboot, then the Restricted Users loose the
    access
    >> for all network-printer. Any further ideas?
    >
    >I have almost the same problem on a WinXP laptop: A Canon
    printer is
    >freshly installed (or re-installed) using a LANMAN
    redirector to a stand-
    >alone print server using a netname (not IP address).
    >
    >A reboot and the printer becomes unavailable (offline)
    and I CANNOT get
    >it back online. I have to delete the printer object and
    re-add. Without
    >rebooting, I have access to the printer. Until the next
    reboot.

    >I've used a utility that compares two snapshots of all
    files and the
    >registry and tried to determine what the crucial
    difference is between
    >offline and online modes. I can't.
    >
    >This has been going on for weeks. Just a few days ago, I
    tried the "net
    >use" command and, while it *appears* to work, I haven't
    stress-tested the
    >situation yet.
    >
    >That's "net use LPT1: \\fp1004b9\Parallel1 /p:y"
    >
    >I was able to bring the printer back online. But I
    haven't actually tried
    >to print to the printer yet.
    >

    >--
    >Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
    >.

  8. Quote:

    "Paul Kussmaul" <Paul_Kussmaul@gmx.de> wrote in news:2189001c45c24
    $f0b8fdd0$a601280a@phx.gbl:

    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > the following: directly after driver installation
    > everything works fine for both, Administrators and
    > Restricted Users. However this is changing after the next
    > windows-reboot, then the Restricted Users loose the access
    > for all network-printer. Any further ideas?

    I have almost the same problem on a WinXP laptop: A Canon printer is
    freshly installed (or re-installed) using a LANMAN redirector to a stand-
    alone print server using a netname (not IP address).

    A reboot and the printer becomes unavailable (offline) and I CANNOT get
    it back online. I have to delete the printer object and re-add. Without
    rebooting, I have access to the printer. Until the next reboot.

    I've used a utility that compares two snapshots of all files and the
    registry and tried to determine what the crucial difference is between
    offline and online modes. I can't.

    This has been going on for weeks. Just a few days ago, I tried the "net
    use" command and, while it *appears* to work, I haven't stress-tested the
    situation yet.

    That's "net use LPT1: \\fp1004b9\Parallel1 /p:y"

    I was able to bring the printer back online. But I haven't actually tried
    to print to the printer yet.

    -
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Have you tried using the IP address rather than the dns name. Unless you have a dns server or added the association to the Host file, it may lose the printer on reboot.

Microsoft Windows XP