zex95966

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I'm trying so hard to reason with myself as to why I want to go with gaming computer vs a console.
So convince me... I WANT to be convinced. I'm just finding it harder to convince myself any longer.

First let me get some things out of the way:

The price:
Motherboard $80 (for something old and cheap like an h61/67)
CPU: $120 (for a simple dual core like the I3 2100)
Case: $60 (haf 912 or something similar so you have room for video cards + good cooling)
Powersupply: $50-100 (you can get like a 500 watt from a no-name brand for cheap but reliability is bad... name brands are of course more expensive but watts may not be enough to power your video card)
Video Card: $120 or so (gtx 550 or similar)
Hard drive: $50-100 (depending on reliability and how much space you need)
Memory: $25 (single stick of 4 GB)
Optical drive: $20 (you can get as low as $17 but those don't come with cables if I understand correctly)
Keyboard: $10-100 (for a seriously crappy one or a nice gaming one)
Mouse: $10-100
Mousepad: $10-50
This is assuming you won't run into cooling problems and need some case/cpu fans on top of what I mentioned.

vs

console: $150-300
controller: $25
X-box live: $60 a year (last I checked)

I realize that computers can do more than just game... but I already have a laptop which although it can't game, I can do what I need it to for those things.
I guess PC's are supposed to have better graphics (for the price, i'm not convinced they are... try building a PC that can run skyrim on the same settings as console for $175)

However the main appeal to the console... - that you can play with others - doesn't apply so much to me *cough*loner*cough* so at least I can convince myself I don't need that option.
The other good thing I can convince myself is that if the X-box (or any console) breaks It's more expensive to get it repaired/buy a new one than if something in my computer breaks, since no individual part is that expensive. (though I suppose if the powersupply busts or doesn't provide enough power I might destroy other components in the comp as well)

I can open up console and spawn cheese or dragons around me, or mod skyrim on the PC... but is it worth all the extra money for that ability?

Solution
First off, let me start off by saying both gaming setups are great in their own ways, I own a PC and a Xbox 360, and that these wars are just plain out stupid.

All the prices you stated above for PC setup is completely false I have to say, what you are stating is gaming on PC and gaming on Xbox, and stating their prices. A gaming PC is way more expensive than what is being stated, maybe for a regular PC, but a gaming PC would be more expensive then that.

Consoles are for people who just want to relax and play a game. On PC you can do that too, but it'd be expensive to get a good chair to be able to relax in and the perfect setup so it'd feel just like a couch or something very comfortable. When I game, I want to be comfortable, with...

1addictedplayer

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
First off, let me start off by saying both gaming setups are great in their own ways, I own a PC and a Xbox 360, and that these wars are just plain out stupid.

All the prices you stated above for PC setup is completely false I have to say, what you are stating is gaming on PC and gaming on Xbox, and stating their prices. A gaming PC is way more expensive than what is being stated, maybe for a regular PC, but a gaming PC would be more expensive then that.

Consoles are for people who just want to relax and play a game. On PC you can do that too, but it'd be expensive to get a good chair to be able to relax in and the perfect setup so it'd feel just like a couch or something very comfortable. When I game, I want to be comfortable, with my current setup I can't play PC and be comfortable sadly.

PC is for serious gamers, since serious gamers want good graphics and everything else, which I am not, I love having fun and not too serious when it comes to games, but I still enjoy PC don't get me wrong.

Now, in your post you state the main appeal is to be able to play with other players, that is very well possible on PC, but not as appealing as talking to someone through the console. I find it more enjoyable talking to people through a console then I do a PC.

You can't deny PC gaming is way better if you have the correct setup, a nice chair, and a highly updated computer, but can cost a lot, specially if you have financial issues.

If you're looking for a less expensive gaming machine, then go with a console. If you are a serious gamer that has a good amount of cash, then get a gaming computer.

Solution
I agree with 1addictedplayer and would like to add than a very basic gaming PC with even a £75 Pentium G630 series CPU and a $80 Radeon 6670 will make games look alot better than any console. Also I would like to make these comments regards your original post:
Motherboard $80 (for something old and cheap like an h61/67)
H61 boards start at >$50
CPU: $120 (for a simple dual core like the I3 2100)
Simple? its the best dual core CPU on the market except the slightly faster version
Case: $60 (haf 912 or something similar so you have room for video cards + good cooling)
Budget cases are fine for cooling and can fit all but the largest graphics cards in
Powersupply: $50-100 (you can get like a 500 watt from a no-name brand for cheap but reliability is bad... name brands are of course more expensive but watts may not be enough to power your video card)
Corsair 500W $60 is more than enough for all but the mosy power hungry cards most will be fine with there $45 430W
Video Card: $120 or so (gtx 550 or similar)
Hard drive: $50-100 (depending on reliability and how much space you need)
Memory: $25 (single stick of 4 GB)
Optical drive: $20 (you can get as low as $17 but those don't come with cables if I understand correctly)
Cables come with the motherboard
Win 7 Home premium $99 all anyone wants for gaming and yes its expensive since its essential
Keyboard: $10-100 (for a seriously crappy one or a nice gaming one)
Mouse: $10-100
Mousepad: $10-50
the 3 above are down to personal preference but fairly good ones can be bought for around the price of an Xbox controller for all 3.
This is assuming you won't run into cooling problems and need some case/cpu fans on top of what I mentioned.
Unless your overclocking or have a very hot house the 1-2 fans included with nearly any case should be fine

Hope this helps, let us know which route you go down. 1 major think to consider is it you like using a mouse in games or a control pad.

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
^ to add to that, try to avoid using a gamepad with your Pc unless your confident that your really good at it, because the Pc competition is a bit of a step up from console players.

Another thing to look forward to for Pc is the games are cheaper. and if you choose to be a pirate, they're free.

In the end it just comes down to money.
The more money you have, the more fun you'll have with your rig.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Don't see why you are asking others to change your mind :p

Both have their pros and cons-

(Consoles)
Pros: Cheap and effective
Cons: Does a lot less than PC's

(gaming PC)
Pros: Does everything expected from a PC + gaming
Cons: More expensive than consoles

The choice is yours matey. Personally I went with both >.< (some console exclusive games are great as are some PC only games....wanted to play them all).