Should i buy Xbox 360 controller for my PC to improve my accuracy in FPS?

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hey guys

I wanna know should i buy 360 controller for my PC as i am currently using mouse and keyboard for FPS games like bf3, crysis 2. I have been playing PC games since 5 years and played Prince of persia series with some cheap dual shock controller, that looks exactly like this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41… played many FPS games with my mouse and keyboard, none with my existing controller, but now i have started playing multiplayer and it is most challenging than i expected and i am just unable to perform the way i should, i tried again and again and again, Its been many months now since i bought bf3 but but not much of an improvment in my skills. Am i doing something wrong i have no idea!!!. I have heard many reviews on xbox 360 controller and they all were tremendous. So just wanna ask a simple question, that i have never played any First person shooter with controller, So will it be comfortable for me playing FPS game with 360 controller to perform much better in MP?

I appreciate all answers

Solution
logitech g400 is probably the best budget mouse. followed by the roccat kova+ if you like em the sidewinder x5 is a good basic fps mouse and has 1 of the best side button placements of any mouse... there lined up vertically rather than horizontal which makes em so much easier to use.
but the choice is yours... try to get 1 without prediction or acceleration as they tend to be more accurate when your moving it fast. if you cant find 1 without them features in your budget then make sure you can at least turn them off.

1600dpi 500ms poll rate minimum is what you want for a good basic gaming mouse.
2400dpi 1000ms pollrate is about the maximum, some mice have much higher dpi but i guarantee you would never set it higher than 2400...

if...

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hey guys

I wanna know should i buy 360 controller for my PC as i am currently using mouse and keyboard for FPS games like bf3, crysis 2. I have been playing PC games since 5 years and played Prince of persia series with some cheap dual shock controller, that looks exactly like this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41… played many FPS games with my mouse and keyboard, none with my existing controller, but now i have started playing multiplayer and it is most challenging than i expected and i am just unable to perform the way i should, i tried again and again and again, Its been many months now since i bought bf3 but but not much of an improvment in my skills. Am i doing something wrong i have no idea!!!. I have heard many reviews on xbox 360 controller and they all were tremendous. So just wanna ask a simple question, that i have never played any First person shooter with controller, So will it be comfortable for me playing FPS game with 360 controller to perform much better in MP?

I appreciate all answers

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Well I think BF3 performance isn't really about how quick or accurate you are with the controller/mouse and keyboard, but more about having the right mindset and knowledge. If you run out into a street which is fairly open and get shot, it doesn't matter if you are using a mouse and keyboard or a controller you are going to be shot, it's only a different strategy plan (ie choosing a different route or getting a vehicle to protect you) that will save you. I've been playing BF3 for a fair few months now and my accuracy and speed hasn't improved, but my mindset/strategy has... just :p

For FPS games, the mouse and keyboard is better long term. if you are using a controller connected to your PC you are putting yourself at a disadvantage as all other players are playing with faster/more accurate keyboard and mouse controls.

Onlyusemeisaac

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
A controller would put you at a severe disadvantage in any multiplayer game. The pin-point accuracy of a mouse can't be touched by a controller. There's a reason why all console FPS games have aim-assist enabled.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

This.

Using a controller will get you chownd.

If you're having problems being accurate with a mouse, you may have the sensitivity set too high (jumping around too much?).

exactly... set the mouse to 50% and it should solve your accuracy issues... also make sure acceleration and mouse smoothing is turned off.
personally i use my logitech 3d pro for flying and it really does help as would the 360 pad... also keeping your speed at 300 will enable you to perform aero acrobatics without fear of stalling out which can happen if your maxed out on the throttle,

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
dont play online FPS games with a controller, FPS games on pc never meant to play with a controller :S, just keep practicing on mouse and keys keep adjusting your dpi/sensitivity options till you get comfy with the best settings, am telling you that cuz i have been playing FPS games since 2006 then i started to play COD4 online and i had this hard time but i kept practicing.

its not necessary to have a HIGH END mouse (well, didnt try one :p), i have a standard microsoft mouse and i've been kickin lot of asses XD

you never tried 1 yet you tell sum1 there not necessary... i think you best get a decent mouse then you will be in a position to make an informed choice.
400dpi mice will work but you will be constantly lifting it and putting it back down as you run out of deskspace. aslo 125ms response isnt good... you could shoot me 1s in the back and with a decent mouse i can react quick enough to either hit the floor or spin around and return fire. you on the other hand would manage to turn 90' if your lucky b4 you drop dead.

a quality fast mouse will increase your accuracy and reaction speed. if they didnt we wouldnt spend so much on em... 1600-2000 dpi with a minimum of 500ms poll rate is enough.. any more dpi and you can kiss your accuracy goodbye any less on the poll rate you cannot react fast enough...

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
it was an opinion and i specified with HIGH END mouse, my point was clear enough to say that FPS gaming depends the most on skills and practicing and a good mouse will help you do it

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
You would probably be better off with Keyboard/Mouse than a controller, especially online. If you have a good mouse your aiming can be FAR faster and more precise than a controller could hope to be. I have not tried the Razer controller, it might do that, but I don't know. You would be essentially handicapping yourself using a controller for online play in most FPS games on the PC due to the slower reaction times. This is one of the reasons cross platform play has failed, like Shadowrun. Back on the Dreamcast I had the keyboard and mouse, and in Quake 3 I could dominate without much trouble, even with a bad connection (mmm, dialup goodness).

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Guys Thanks for clearing my doubts, please do tell me which mouse should i buy, i am strictly on budget and can only spend what i was about to spend on a controller.
So give me some suggestions of mouse around 30 to 60$.

Thanks again for your answers

logitech g400 is probably the best budget mouse. followed by the roccat kova+ if you like em the sidewinder x5 is a good basic fps mouse and has 1 of the best side button placements of any mouse... there lined up vertically rather than horizontal which makes em so much easier to use.
but the choice is yours... try to get 1 without prediction or acceleration as they tend to be more accurate when your moving it fast. if you cant find 1 without them features in your budget then make sure you can at least turn them off.

1600dpi 500ms poll rate minimum is what you want for a good basic gaming mouse.
2400dpi 1000ms pollrate is about the maximum, some mice have much higher dpi but i guarantee you would never set it higher than 2400...

if your desperate for somthing that looks mean and works well check out the rat 5(if you can find it cheap... but only if its cheap like $40 or less. and be prepared to send it back as 1 in 5 are faulty.

Solution

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
First off, FPS games are meant to be played with a mouse. Controllers, gamepads suck at FPS or any other games for that matter (well, except simulators and hack n slash games). Fine tune your mouse settings or get a better mouse.

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Well I've used a few mice before, and for me the difference between a standard mouse and a 'gaming' mouse is small, but I think noticeable (unless it was the gaming branding and specs that made me think that it was better). The biggest change in performance I felt was changing my Razer copperhead for a Microsoft sidewinder x8 due to the ergonomics and button placement, this affected my performance much more than the mouse speed/accuracy improvement between a generic mouse and the copperhead.

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012

Yeah, i was looking to buy this one's previous model g300, but some of my friends says it will be small for your hands, i don't know about this, another difference i found out is that that DPI is 3600 in g400 and 2500 in g300, that makes g400 more accurate in aiming in FPS games. Also one of my friends suggested Steal series Kinzu, he is not stopping saying how great this mouse is. Please tell me further!!!

Thank you for your answer