Is this Dangerous

G

I have Retail C Athlon 1.2 and I built my system from a barebones though, so I only have retail Fan I believe.

Now I am getting artic silver, and a new Fan (And one of those things to protect the CPU)

The problem is, the CPU generally runs idle at around 47 C and when loaded all night, around 57-8 C

Actually, I did move the FSB to 138 and clock is at 1242, but that is barely any OC.

Also OC's GeForce 2 Ultra to 300/524(530 would get a few artifacts..none now)

I have good system cooling, I am normally around 23C, at most 28C, even after heavy heavy loading.

So my question really is, how dangerous is this to my CPU, while I wait for Artic Silver to and nice new FAN?

Also, for FIC AD11 (which is little hard to install fan)

what would be best fan to use?

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

G

Playing around wiht my fans, I get idle 22 C and 44C Runing Heavy for like good hour or so 24.5 C and 52 C

Surfing web, etc etc, 24 C and 48-49C

still too dangerous, or okay while waiting?

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
AMD say that for Athlons 1.1GHz and faster the absolute maximum cpu die temperature should be 95C.

My interpretation of this information is: above 95C and your cpu will expire in a fairly short time.

However in electronics there is a 'rule of thumb' that says that for every 10C that you reduce the temp. of a component will probably extend its life by 100%.

So say a cpu at 90C will last one year then the same cpu at 80C would likely last two years, an so on.

I aim to keep my 1.2GHz Athlon below 50C at all times, but it does vary with:
1) Make and model of Heatsink Fan (HSF)
2) External ambient temperature (room temp.)
3) Local ambient temperature (temp. 0.5inch away from HSF)
4) Cpu load

With 100% cpu load, Silverado HSF, room temp = 23C I have motherboard temp = 27C and cpu temp = 44C

Unless you want to keep your cpu running for more than 10 years I would not be concerned with temps up to 60C and I am probably being overcautious.