Inspiron 1545 video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
So I got the answer for you, no pictures this time, just follow the link to see the Dell Inspiron 15 (1545) Motherboard System Board with Discrete ATI Radeon 4330 Video - H314N - yes, it is soldiered to motherboard and NOT REMOVABLE!! http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=6183
Compare the pictures, the one I provided previously is missing third heatsink inline with processor - your Discrete video card.
If parts are still available it cost $200, plus you will need to change $$ heatsink, do a lot of work and may be spend more $$ - you would have to change motherboard yourself!
So, if you want to invest $300-400 into old laptop go ahead, or just buy a new one and check what you are buying, so you would not look for the...
Being a laptop you don't especially since its a model that didn't even have a dedicated card option (I think). Some laptops can have the graphics card updated (this is not one) but even on these its almost never cost effective. Sorry to say but the best upgrade path is a new laptop.

DM186

Splendid
Yeah I have to agree with above comments. You will have to buy a gaming Laptop. 98% of all laptops you can not upgrade your GPU and so when buying a laptop you need to make sure of the GPU is in it.

Some laptops come with two GPU's where you can switch between them. For the most part a gaming laptop is the way to go anyway. The desktop for gaming is better than a laptop as far as power is concerned.

Laptops are good for on the go and schooling and business/work. They run hot all the time and when you play for hours on end in games you are taking its life away so it will not last long. Good luck to you

Venzen007

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I have a 1545 with a dedicated card from DELL, so this model did have that option. With that considered, how does one go about upgrading from one dedicated card to another in a laptop?

Can you please check in Device manager or else where the model of your card, I can not see where it can be located
this is your motherboard.

inspiron1545mobo.jpg

I don't know if its suitable for a GPU but isn't than a mini PCIE slot to the left of the bios battery or is it mini PCI? I assume the one to the left of that is SATA and the white connector on the bottom left is the ribbon cable for the screen. Whats the connector to the right of the battery? If the bit above the battery an express card slot?

So I got the answer for you, no pictures this time, just follow the link to see the Dell Inspiron 15 (1545) Motherboard System Board with Discrete ATI Radeon 4330 Video - H314N - yes, it is soldiered to motherboard and NOT REMOVABLE!! http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=6183
Compare the pictures, the one I provided previously is missing third heatsink inline with processor - your Discrete video card.
If parts are still available it cost $200, plus you will need to change $$ heatsink, do a lot of work and may be spend more $$ - you would have to change motherboard yourself!
So, if you want to invest $300-400 into old laptop go ahead, or just buy a new one and check what you are buying, so you would not look for the "upgrades" after.

There is nothing more to say here. This is the BEST answer to this situation I seen on many boards including Dell Laptop Community forum.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.