Is it possible to upgrade the Motherboard or CPU for a Des..

Tags:
  • Compaq
  • Cases
  • Motherboards
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
October 18, 2004 12:27:42 AM

Hi,

I have a PIII 1GHz Compaq Deskpro EN (ENS/P1.0e/6/128cn).

It's a Small Form Factor (SFF) type case, and the microATX boards that I
thought might replace it don't seem to have things in the right place (if
you know what I mean) to fit the case.

I would like to upgrade this to a P4 motherboard if possible, or can someone
tell me what is the fastest processor that I can put on the existing
motherboard.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Cheers,

Tom

More about : upgrade motherboard cpu des

October 18, 2004 11:37:24 AM

I'd forget it. Motherboard swaps are very difficult on Compaqs, Dells,
Gateways, etc. In addiotion to the problem you noted, the front panel
connector (onn/off, power and HD LEDs) also is proprietary for the
preinstalled board.
HH

"Tom" <faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a PIII 1GHz Compaq Deskpro EN (ENS/P1.0e/6/128cn).
>
> It's a Small Form Factor (SFF) type case, and the microATX boards that I
> thought might replace it don't seem to have things in the right place (if
> you know what I mean) to fit the case.
>
> I would like to upgrade this to a P4 motherboard if possible, or can
> someone
> tell me what is the fastest processor that I can put on the existing
> motherboard.
>
> Does anyone have any info on this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2004 4:25:55 PM

The Compaq DeskPro SFF motherboards are not upgradable. The motherboard form
factor is unique, to put it mildly.

Many of the DeskPro EN series can be upgraded with a bit of extra work, because
they use ATX form factor motherboards. The wiring to the front panel needs to
be changed to more conventional LEDs-and-wire leads. (This is easy for me
because I've saved lots of LEDs and wires from hundreds of computers I've
scrapped.) For a Pentium 4 class computer, the power supply must be changed.
But the result is hardly worth the effort... Ben Myers

On 17 Oct 2004 20:27:42 -0700, faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm (Tom) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a PIII 1GHz Compaq Deskpro EN (ENS/P1.0e/6/128cn).
>
>It's a Small Form Factor (SFF) type case, and the microATX boards that I
>thought might replace it don't seem to have things in the right place (if
>you know what I mean) to fit the case.
>
>I would like to upgrade this to a P4 motherboard if possible, or can someone
>tell me what is the fastest processor that I can put on the existing
>motherboard.
>
>Does anyone have any info on this?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom
Related resources
October 18, 2004 9:51:07 PM

Thanks guys,

Any ideas on what would be the fastest CPU i can put onto this board,
as it is right now?

Tom
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 6:00:29 AM

You're pretty close to the fastest now. It's likely that an expensive 1.4GHz
PowerLeap kit would do the job, but check with PowerLeap first. The improvement
in overall speed would not be significant... Ben Myers

!