Cyberlink Shows-Off Blu-ray “Upscaling”

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
First of all, I must apologise for being negative, but PowerDVD REALLY annoys the living crap out of me, what with it's constant nagging pop-ups to upgrade, stopping Blu-ray playback from a folder, increased faffing when trying to play a backed up dvd etc. I own four paid for licences and I REALLY don't know why.

Don't even mention the updates... why call them updates when you're basically downloading the entire package again!

More fool me for parting with my money.

P.s. new features look great

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]First of all, I must apologise for being negative, but PowerDVD REALLY annoys the living crap out of me, what with it's constant nagging pop-ups to upgrade, stopping Blu-ray playback from a folder, increased faffing when trying to play a backed up dvd etc. I own four paid for licences and I REALLY don't know why.Don't even mention the updates... why call them updates when you're basically downloading the entire package again!More fool me for parting with my money.P.s. new features look great[/citation]

not enough competition in that department. im satisfied with my free VLC player

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
These players that people actually pay for are just as pointless as the "Security Suites" that are still carrying a price-tag. VLC, KMPlayer, and MPC-HC are just some of the fantastic options out there which, in many ways, are superior to anything that you have to pay for out there. These free players have come a very long way in the last few years and are not only easy and safe, but offer superior picture and audio decoding, take full advantage of modern (and hot) technologies (CUDA, DXVA, DTS-HD, etc) that are not even correctly (or at all) deployed in many of those expensive, bloated and downright broken suites that cost around $100! These rip-off players are all flash and no substance... don't believe me? Just try one of the free ones and you'll understand right away what I'm talking about.

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]These free players have come a very long way in the last few years and are not only easy and safe, but offer superior picture and audio decoding, take full advantage of modern (and hot) technologies (CUDA, DXVA, DTS-HD, etc) that are not even correctly (or at all) deployed in many of those expensive, bloated and downright broken suites that cost around $100![/citation]

Just a small correction but the only thing the free players cannot do currently is decode DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks (just the core) otherwise i agree with everything else (unless they can bit-stream to a decoder but my current 4850 cannot do this so i am unsure). it is simply appalling when a company that sells software creates such a large program when a free alternative is tiny in comparison and does the job better, good example is Adobe Reader 200MB+ on hdd and foxit 10.5MB or even sumatra

Yup, VLC is for me, but I do use PDVD for my Music files, that seems to be the only player that's actually giving me audio out in a 5.1 setting. The rest just use the 2 Front speakers, but I do agree that the player really sucks......

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i got no issues with any of the "big" palyer companies , never pay for them myself , but i have gotten thier software free with dvd drive purchases before. sure these free versions have cut down features but they also take up less pace than the full retail packages and do just a fine job of dvd play back. and now that i finnally was able to get a HDTV (42 inch LG i got on sale durring holidays) i may look into getting a blu ray player for my computer, i was wondering if any brands bundle a software encoder with thier players though, like many companies used to do for dvd players.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ps. what upsets me more than any thing is creative labs reccent and unoticed move with thier media player 5.0 and later. jsut did a refort mat on my HDD and whiole grapping the drivers for my sound card and teh media player from creative i noticed that creative media player 5.0 and later does not offer mp3 ripping natively any more and now you ahve to pay 10 bucks extra to get it .. talk about dirty. lol things worked out ok though , i grabbed the new sound card drivers but grabbed an older version of the media palyer from thier site and yep even on thier site teh older version still offer mp3 ripping LOL. kind of crucial for palying music when gaming on games that require the disk stay in the drive.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]I using the latest PowerDVD without any upgrade pop-ups?[/citation]
that made so much sense that i think i might have to run into a wall head first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS