Need quietest 'useful' cooler money can buy

G

I have a cooler on my Duron 900 but it is incredibly loud. Can someone point me to a specific cooler (air based) on a website that I can order that will provide me decent cooling (no overclocking planned for this box) but be as quiet as possible. Additionally if there is anything I can put in the case or do to a case to reduce sound that would be great too. My old P2/400 (retail fan) produces the amount of noise that I can stand in the location where this machine is to be located. Please - any help is welcome. I can't take the noise. I'm actually using the P2/400 at the moment because I can't tolerate the noise of the fan on the 900 :(

I've just bought one of these, so I can't actually say how good they are yet, but check out their web page.

<A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/cpucooling.php" target="_new">http://www.quietpc.com/cpucooling.php</A>

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Great, thanks. One thing about this company though. The mention not shipping anything until May 30th - were you able to get your out sooner?

I ordered it on Wed a.m / Tue p.m ??? Sorry I'm on night shift right now and I get online for an hour in the evening and three hours in the morning. The disorientation has set in. lol.

I don't know if I'll get mine before the cut off or not, but I'll keep you posted (posted!! wmahaha) about it.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Well, I came to this forum to post about this cooler in another thread so may aswell post about it here too.
If you want a low noise cooler I doubt there's much better than the Zalman CNPS3100/CNPS3100G - You can change it between normal and noiseless mode. Normal mode is just a low humming noise and noiseless mode is practically that. It still manages to cool my T~Bird 800mhz@1040mhz to 44c at full load while in noiseless mode... :smile:
As I say, I'll be very surprised if you can find anything better than that...

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
" idoubt there is anything better."
Ever heard of the Silverado? Besides, in noiseless mode they stink at cooling.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

? Besides, in noiseless mode they stink at cooling
T~Bird 800mhz@1040mhz to 44c at full load while in noiseless mode
Well, if 44c while in noiseless mode using standard thermal compound and no case fans "stinks" then fair enough. Me, I'm happy with that. :smile:

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
In reply to: "44c while in noiseless mode using standard thermal compound and no case fans "stinks" then fair enough"

HAHAHAHAHA! I bet. There is no way you got 44C with no case fans and a Zalman, unless you live in a refridgerador. Either the program you are using is whack, or you are plain lying.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

haha - have you ever even used this cooler? In fact, don't answer that, I don't care.

<b>To the original poster:</b> I highly recommend the Zalman CNPS3100, I recently reviewed it and was very impressed. If you do not trust my opinion (or the opinion of several other sites I can give you) then I don't mind - just trying to help out... :smile:

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Idiot.
No air-cooler, not the almighty Swiftech 462 or the Silverado will cool to that degree when the air inside it is burning hot. And your kidding yourself if you think your Zalman does better than them. Learn something about thermo dynamics before you try to defend yourself.

G

Tempus: Stepping into the flames... Perhaps thorfinn meant no case fans other than the PSU fan?

On the topic at hand... I liked my V2 and while it wasn't silent it was pretty quiet. I am optimistic about the Zalman 3100 sitting in front of me -- but will post when I have some facts. How about some decibel readings to compare to V2, socket thermistor values, and other thermistors for ambient, etc.

-PT

G

Tempus, I find it hard to believe there is actually someone in this world as thick as you, but you have now taught me to expect the unexpected...

when the air inside it is burning hot
Explain to me why the air inside would be burning hot? Most ordinary pre-builds come with no case fans, just the CPU HSF, the PSU fan, and possibly small fans on the mobo chipset and vid card - THESE ARE NOT CASE FANS! but it doesn't mean the "air inside is burning hot".

And your kidding yourself if you think your Zalman does better than them
When did I ever say the Zalman was better than the two coolers you mention. I know that if I had a Swiftech it would cool better than the Zalman..

I'm hoping that you have misunderstood me and presumed when I said no case fans that I meant no fans running in my case whatsoever. That's not the case, the Zalman had the stock fan supplied properly setup and positioned (something which isn't done in a lot of reviews i've seen). If you think noiseless mode is no fan running, your wrong - it means connecting the noiseless connector to bring the decibels down to a barely audible level...

I truely hope you misunderstood me because at the moment I just feel sorry for you and your obvious lack of knowledge. :frown:
before you try to defend yourself
Defend myself? I'm not trying to defend myself and I have absolutely no reason to anyway - I have used the cooler, I have gotten good results with it, I couldn't really care less if no-one else in the world ever bought it - it doesn't bother me.
What I'm trying to do is expand your obviously limited knowledge and maybe expand that extremely closed and ignorant mind of yours... But hey, no hard feelings.. :smile:

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
OH MY GOD.
"Most ordinary pre-builds come with no case fans, just the CPU HSF, the PSU fan, and possibly small fans on the mobo chipset and vid card"
Not since the days of the Pentium 75! And it is the mobo and vid card manufacturor that determines if they have fans on their products, not the builder. EVERY case containing a tbird IS provided with atleast the PSU fan exhausting, and a fan intaking cool air.

Like I said, learn something about thermology before you respond. A fan blowing hot air over a heatsink does absolutley nothing. The reason your air would be hot is because the heat from your processor is being trapped in the case. With no exhaust, and no intake, it just keeps getting hotter. I'm not suprised such a simple concept escaped you.
Are you cooling a Celeron with that Zalman? That would explain your readings.

I have a lack of knowledge? HAHAHA. You don't realize it, because you do not know me, but I make you look stupid in terms of knowledge. I'm not going to argue that point anymore, because there simply is no way to prove it. Except to keep explaining the obvious to you...

G

Not since the days of the Pentium 75!
Well, not entirely true, of course. Many average pre-built systems I've seen did not have a case fan; The only thing that delivers the hot air out is the PSU fan, and it seems to be sufficient up to Pentium III system.

With no exhaust, and no intake, it just keeps getting hotter.
True, but even without a case fan, the fan in the PSU does take the hot air out, albeit not as efficiently. Also, computer cases are not in an insulated state and radiates heat out somewhat. One can achieve thermal equilibrium soon enough.

Just pointing out some possible factual overlooks here.. :smile:

G

EVERY case containing a tbird IS provided with atleast the PSU fan exhausting, and a fan intaking cool air
What a load of utter bullshit. Firstly, a PSU fan is not what I would class as a case fan hence why it's called a "PSU" fan. Second, very few standard pre-builds come with an intake fan - I'm not talking about a specially made PC, i'm talking about walking into your local Pc World or similar store and buying a system of the shelf - you'll find that the vast majority don't come with an intake fan of any kind.
. The reason your air would be hot is because the heat from your processor is being trapped in the case
OK, this is where your lack of knowledge shines through, so I'll make it six-year-old simple for you.
<b>YOU DO NOT NEED AN EXHAUST CASE FAN FOR HEAT TO ESCAPE FROM YOUR CASE</b> As Wesley pointed out, unless your case is completely sealed it is possible for the heat to escape without such a case fan - the PSU fan being one source.

The simple fact remains, at this very moment in time as I type this message, I do not have an intake fan installed in my case, I do not have an exhaust case fan installed. I have no fans or cooling equipment except for the Zalman CNPS3100, a 80mm Delta Screamer blowing onto the Zalman, the Northbridge chipset fan on the Abit KT7a, the chipset fan on my GTS - similar to a Blue Orb, and the PSU fan - that is all the cooling products in my system so lets check the temps... ooohh, look at that. A 1Ghz T~Bird @ 1333Mhz (133*10) and system temp is 26c, cpu temp 26c (pretty much idle). Now I couldn't care less if you believe that or not, i know what temps I'm getting, I'm happy with them and I'm happy with the cooling in my case just now so i'm gonna leave it at that...

Bye Tempus, good speaking with you - it's been a, how should I say... an eye-opener for me... :smile:

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Just to clear something up, I work at Best Buy as a PC Tech and from what I have seen, the majority of T-Bird computers from HP and Compaq are using one case fan along with the PSU fan. This goes for P4 computers too, although on the P4 computers, alot of times the fan is on the rear of the case above the processor. Just thought I'd give you guys that info.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"system temp is 26c, cpu temp 26c (pretty much idle)."

So you are saying that system temp i.e. ambient temp and cpu temp are the same, Bull you are either confuseded or lying!

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

G

, Bull you are either confuseded or lying
For god's sake, why the hell would I <b>want</b> to lie!!?????
If I had problems with cooling, I would come asking for help but the fact is I don't. I wouldn't even have posted all this if it wasn't for Tempus, all I came here to do was recommend a cooler that I am currently using to someone who sounded as though it would be beneficial to...

Next, confused? All I can do is show you the temps that are being read out to me by Via Hardware Monitor - so again, at this very moment as I click on the program it reads..... CPU 28c, system 27c - that is because it is considerably warmer now than it was earlier. Ok, so the next thing you'll say is the program isn't working properly - so I'll try another one - USDM by Epox, CPU 28c, System 28c.
I know if you didn't believe those temps before, you're probably not gonna believe them now but there's nothing I can do about that... :frown:

G

Thanks for the info <b>kanute</b>, you have proven me slightly wrong there (see ppl, I <b>can</b> admit when I'm wrong), obviously they have started putting case fans into higher speed PC's.
That doesn't change the fact though that the pre-build I purchased in Sept last year (T~Bird 800/Epox 8kta+/MX) came with no case fan - the only fans in the entire system were a TaiSol HSF and the PSU fan, I didn't have temp problems then and I don't now. This goes for all the ppl I know who bought pre-builds late last year/early this year - I don't know anyone who has bought a PC in the past couple of months but I'll be sure to check out the comps at my local PC World tomorrow... :smile:

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Well I should also tell you that the only brands I have really seen are HP, compaq, and Sony, as these are the only brands Best buy carries, besides e-machine. So I'm only speaking for those brands. It may be different for other manufacturers.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Oh, you dumbasses. The rate at which heat escapes a case with no designated intake or exhaust fan is very slow. It is not even close to enough to keep the air inside the case cool. Now, as I have explained to your nieve mind so many times, hot air does not cool a heatsink.

A PSU fan is not a good exhaust fan. The PSU creates a large amount of heat, and that is why PSUs come with fans to get rid of that heat. In terms of sucking out hot air from your case, it is alre4ady busy venting the PSU heat.

Obviously, there is a good chance that a low speed "classic" Slot A Athlon (most OEMs are still using them) POS system might not include an intake fan.

I urge you to ask around, or do some research as to what temperatures other people on this forum or anywhere else achieve and with what HSF. I think you will realize that your temps are not realistic. The fact that you have neither an intake or exhaust fan in itself shows your lack of knowledge.
Oh for god sake, respond inteligently to this one, instead of trying to explain how air will exhaust itself through the tiny vent holes.

G

Well Tempus, we're just gonna disagree.
I know for a fact I could go out tomorrow, walk into a PC store and purchase a 1Ghz T~Bird without a proper intake or exhaust fan.
I am not trying to say that an intake and exhaust fan wont improve temps because the do, I just choose not to have them installed because I don't need them - I disconnected them when I recieved the Zalman and then replaced the stock fan on the cooler when I changed CPU - I still do not require any case fans at this time, plain and simple.

I mean, I don't see the point in this discussion - no matter what you say my temps aren't gonna suddenly spiral out of control or the air in my case start overheating.
There's simply no point to this, I <b>know</b> what temps I am running with. I am <b>happy</b> with the current cooling situation in my system. No matter what you say that's not gonna change, whether my temps are 1c or 200c it isn't gonna affect anyone but me so why let it affect you?

Everything you have said about case fans improving temps is of course correct. Where you are wrong is saying that you <b>need</b> intake/exhaust fans because I know that I don't.
Where you are wrong is saying the temps I am getting are false - the only problem here is you cannot prove they are and I cannot prove they aren't.

It's called a stalemate... :smile:

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Oh man, And I was just about to capture your king....

Well as long as you don't come whining when your tbird frys, I, as you said, don't and shouldn't care. But in my opinion, you are wrong in stating that you don't need case fans. Just visit the CPU section, people are on the verge of deep fry before they install them.

Just out of curiosity, what program are you using to generate these temps?