C2 OC Boot Problem

G

Just upgraded my system and have encountered the following problem:

Upon initial boot I get two beeps from the MB and the system goes no further. If I cycle the power switch (turn it off then back on again) the system then boots just fine.

Here are the changes I made.

Old system:

Dell XPSR PII 450
OEM BX MB
Matrox g200 2x agp 16 Mb video card

New system

(Still the Dell with the OEM BX MB but upgraded the bios)
Celeron 2 700 @ 1047 with IWill slocket set at 1.7v (default setting for the c2), cooling with a GORB.
ATI AIW 32Mb agp

Upgraded win 98 to ME (I like the upgrade ok, so sue me)

No other changes made

Also one other small problem I noticed with the video card. I get some ghosting type lines whenever I move (or close) a window on the windows screen. The lines are in the exact place where the windows border was before it was moved or closed (thin white/gray border lines).

Couple thoughts

Possibly the bios not being comfortable with the c2?

Overclocking problems with the CPU (however it benchmarks just fine and have played Serious Sam for over an hour with np). Or perhaps upping the voltage a bit for additional stability?

Some compatibility with the ATI card on initial start-up?

FWIW I am extremely happy with the system (it 3d2000 benchmarks at over 5 times the old set-up) for around $300. (and for all you AMDer's out there I will be building a AMD T-bird soon, so hush, I just want to solve this problem for now).

Thanks in advacne for your help...

Mid Life Computer Nerd

G

You'll have better luck getting help at the dell support forum, lots of good helpers there.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm surprised it even boots at all! You must carry a horseshoe in your pocket or something. The Coppermine has a notorious problem getting past 980MHz. You most likely do need more voltage-try 1.80v. And the GORB sucks. Get a real cooler, like the VolcanoII or FOP32-1, or you will see problems.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm actually speaking of all the PIII chips below 933. Intel marks all the chips that test stable at 1GHz/1.70v as 1GHz chips. Those that barely miss the mark are labled 933. The rest are labled lower. My 700E will run 1021, but at 1.90v, it creats a lot of heat! Tom himself observed a point, at about 980MHz, where the PIII's he overclocked would loose stability. My experience has shown that while it is possible to get past that point, it generally requires much higher voltages than normal overclocking does. It is possible that you got a Celeron that would have been labled as a PIII 1GHz, except that part of the cache failed the test, in which case Intel disables the cache on that side and sells it as a high-speed celeron, but it seems like they would have marked it at the highest available speed for Celerons (850MHz) if that was the case.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I just wondered because my PIII700E runs at 1036 full time. I think I have it at 1.85V and ran it straight off at 148FSB with no issues. It gets pretty warm by Intel standards, but a Fop keeps it in the 40s, I'm testing out a Molex radial fan right now, which is not as good, but _really_ quiet.

The system is rock solid and runs 24x7 at 100%.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, my VolcanoII kept mine in the mid 40's at 1021, until I loaded 3DM2K, where it would slowly increase to the lower 50's. I don't like the idea of pushing a processor that hard thermally, because if something were to happen, say, a little too much dust on the heatsink, it would have a very much shorter lifespan.

G

Here are a few specs. I didn't bother to copy any of the info off the cpu itself (will do so when I change the HSF) Anyhow everything I read about these chips pointed towards a good OC (provided one has adequate cooling, yes I know there are better fans than the gorb).

Actually just booted the comp fine on the first try this time around but still have the ghosting on the screen.

[ from WCPUID Ver.2.7e-B6 (c) 1996-2000 By H.Oda! ]

Processor 1 : Intel Celeron / 5D7AA3CB
Platform : Socket370 (PGA370 Socket)
Clock Frequency
Internal : 1045.46 MHz
External : 99.57 MHz
Multiplier : 10.5
Version : Windows Me Version 4.90.3000

Mid Life Computer Nerd

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yeah - true, this runs now hotter than I'd ideally like, but I'll trade the cpu life against noise - it's only 100 bucks right now and I need the system in the living room. I've got the case fans cranked down and a dc blower on 5V keeping the case cool, but the cooler is not the coolest.

By the time the PIII dies, my 1.6 Athlon will be retiring for a newcomer, but I think I'll need a water cooler on that before it's quiet enough for the living room... :smile:

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details