Optimizing My Gaming Setup

Slickly

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I just built my wife a computer with some pretty amazing specs. We got a new router and we hooked it up and hooked our computers into it. I kind of suspected we might run into a problem of bandwidth, and it's not absolutely horrible, but I'd like to optimize my connection between our two computers so I might experience as little lag as possible.

The router that I purchased was an N150 WNR1000v3. It was around 30 dollars. I am wondering if there are any suggestions or norms when it comes to optimizing and speeding up our connection to the fastest speeds possible. The company advertises the package we have at 20/2. Our computers are literally right next to each other, the cable going into the modem, then into the router, then into our computers. Does anyone know any special little tricks so that I can play D3 and SC2 with her and fully experience the games without lag?

Any help is appreciated.

Rich

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Firstly, just to confirm, are both computers hooked up via ethernet? If it's wifi, then a hard-wire connection will improve bandwidth.

Second, that router only supports 10/100Mbit networking (called Fast LAN, I believe). Theoretically it should be fast enough, but in practice various elements contribute towards a network overhead which basically reduce the speed at which your computers connect to the router. You really want a router that supports Gigabit (1GBit) speeds on the ethernet ports...any spec sheet will display this as '1000/100/10' when discussing port speeds (those numbers may actually be the other way around, but the important thing is the 1000 figure).

Thirdly...what's your internet connection speed like? It may also be a contributing factor.

I'm not a network expert myself, just picked up bits and bobs as I put my own LAN together, but that should get you started. Have a look at the website below, too...great resource for setting up a LAN at home:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Slickly

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hmmm okay thank you. We just got this router at last minute because the other router that we received from our ISP only had one ethernet port on it. Yes it is a hardwired connection, I can't stand wireless. I guess my goal at this point should be to replace my router? I think I've read that when you move up to a gigabit connection, you have to also replace the cables? I don't mind doing that, just want to make sure I get it right.

My internet is a 20mbps download, 2 mbps upload.

Thanks for replying... I will look into routers that are good for gaming. Any other advice?