Air Cooling Peltiers?

Micah

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
I've heard the benefits of water cooling already....that's something I'm waiting to do for my next system. What I need to know is if I can use a peltier to get lower than ambient temp with HSF cooling.
What I need is some info on running a Duron around 15C-25C. With room temp around 25C-30C.
How can I dertermine what my chips heat output(Watts) is? I really don't want frezzing temps just colder than room temp.
Are there peltiers that have a lower Temperture delta's but can handle a heavy heat load?

mnm

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what you seem not to get is that with water cooline (relying on a radiator) you wont get below room temperature... ever... unless you use soething else to cool the water which would be too complicated anyway...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A TEC used properly (correct voltage + correct heat sink, etc) you can get temps well below ambient. But the main problems with that is Condensations. I think Overclockers.com has a lot of articles on preventing this. The main way is to use foam or some kind of insulation, but u still have to worry about the bottom of the CPU. So smearing Vaseline into the socket on the mobo is just too messy for me. Another method is to coat everything in silicone including the backside of the mobo directly under the CPU. But then removing the CPU again is quite the challenge. Now that I think about it. I do think I read it’s very hard to get much below ambient with just air. I posted a link to a good article on TEC on this board about a week ago. <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=633908#633908" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=633908#633908</A> Check it out, very in-depth.

All this hassle for what, 10%, 20% maybe 30% more overclockability. I think the way to go is a coolance case (or any other premade water cooling case) then just upgrade the water block with a danger dan and add a nice quiet fan for the power supply. That’s what I wish I had done.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you could quite easily... go to a as simple a site as overclockers.com and youll be able to find a bit on them there... just as stated before... condensation is the problem... a good solution to this is coating the lumps in a rubber like silicon sealant... quite messy but youll get very little condensation...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong