Sign in with
Your question

Monitor turns off - GPU fan hits 100%

Last response: in Video Games
May 20, 2012 8:17:42 AM

Hey guys.

I'm not sure if gaming is causing the issue but it seems to be. Whenever I play games I have problems.
Sometimes my computer's monitor will display the message "no signal" and my GPU will go up to 100% RPM, even when it was only running at 40% RPM before the monitor cut out.
If I turn my computer back on everything will work correctly unless I turn on a game and play for a while.

There's a second behavior that my computer may exhibit if I game: the screen will cut off but my GPU fan won't speed up - and when I turn my computer back on the CPU fan will not spin.
The motherboard is still supplying power to everything but the CPU fan refuses to turn on and the computer will not boot. If this happens I usually have to re-seat the RAM to turn the computer back on and have it work correctly.

My GPU and CPU temperatures seem to be reasonable. My CPU will, at most, reach about 50 degrees Celcius while my GPU will reach about 70 degrees Celcius.

I ran memtest86+ for about 3 hours and no errors came up; RAM doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: 560 Ti 448 Core - EVGA FTW Overclock
May 20, 2012 11:06:27 AM

Im pretty sure its your graphic card drivers, or the settings. check if you have set it to automatic or manual. usually that's the problem. or overheat on cpu, motherboard or graphics card.
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2012 11:24:53 AM

you may also need a gpu bios upgrade. the 560ti is notorious for having a poor bios that causes random crashing.
google it and make sure yours isnt 1 of them. you will need the bios revision number for this...
gpu-z should help you find that.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2012 4:55:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I looked at the nVidia control panel and though I was not able to find the "automatic" or "manual" selection I believe it's on automatic; I see the fan speed change in EVGA Precision.

I looked up my GPU bios number (70.10.61.00.62 (P1263-0010)) and it appears to be the latest update.

I don't think heat is the problem.

I need more suggestions! :pt1cable: 

Thanks again.
m
l
May 20, 2012 9:46:07 PM

Anyone else? :ouch: 
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 21, 2012 1:54:00 PM

on another forum a guy has an evga 570 and he claims he is getting the same symptoms as you.. it turned out that his gpu wasn't getting enough voltage when swapping between 2d and 3d then vice-versa he would get a voltage drop when the switch over happened and would cause the screen to go off. if this is the case for you, you will have to get in touch with evga and get an rma number if they cant supply you with a fix (give you the correct base voltage to stop this).
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:32:21 PM

It could be what @HEXiT said in the last post.

What power supply are you running? It could be that the card is not getting enough power.
m
l
May 21, 2012 6:12:07 PM

From the symptoms that you describe I'd say your problem is between your PSU and GPU. Hexit raised a valid suggestion, contact EVGA and see if they can help you out.

Also, depending on which PSU you got, I'd recommend to try a known good PSU instead of yours.
m
l
December 2, 2012 1:40:15 AM

ferrom said:
Hey guys.

I'm not sure if gaming is causing the issue but it seems to be. Whenever I play games I have problems.
Sometimes my computer's monitor will display the message "no signal" and my GPU will go up to 100% RPM, even when it was only running at 40% RPM before the monitor cut out.
If I turn my computer back on everything will work correctly unless I turn on a game and play for a while.

There's a second behavior that my computer may exhibit if I game: the screen will cut off but my GPU fan won't speed up - and when I turn my computer back on the CPU fan will not spin.
The motherboard is still supplying power to everything but the CPU fan refuses to turn on and the computer will not boot. If this happens I usually have to re-seat the RAM to turn the computer back on and have it work correctly.

My GPU and CPU temperatures seem to be reasonable. My CPU will, at most, reach about 50 degrees Celcius while my GPU will reach about 70 degrees Celcius.

I ran memtest86+ for about 3 hours and no errors came up; RAM doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dude its your GPU not getting enough air circulation I have fixed this problem 3 times on 2 cards once on a ati4870 and twice on my current amd5770 my temps were not bad either regardless of what the temps say disconnect the card and be very careful with it and its important to gently clean it with a toothbrush take a couple deep breathes and blow the loose dust out and repeat the clean again then connect it back up and before running any games manually set the fan speed to 90% on the card for at least 10 minutes whilst on DESKTOP and then return fan to auto and start your game also make sure theres good airflow in the room.

If the problem was your PSU the computer would keep switching off instantly during gameplay.

CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: 560 Ti 448 Core - EVGA FTW Overclock

m
l
December 2, 2012 5:47:11 AM

as suggested earlier , try using evga precision for monitoring fan vs temp graph according to your convenience..
And pls give the details of your PSU. Maybe it's the culprit.
If your gpu wont get enough amperes on the several voltage rails, then this is bound to happen....
m
l
less than a minute ago

I had the same problem: happened because my PSU and GPU fans were facing each other. I flipped the PSU and issue resolved.
m
l
!